SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Baofeng vs. ICOM -- no question what products excel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baofeng vs. ICOM -- no question what products excel Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
A friend was selling two Baofeng radios. I thought hey, why not? Two radios, a couple of Andrew Jacksons, I can see what all the hoopla is about for this brand on 2m and 70cm amateur radio.

Are you kidding me? The Baofeng products cannot be used without undesirable investment in more stuff. I don't have a Windows machine, so the free software does not work. I have a modern Apple computer, so the CHIRP software does not work with the new OS. The RT Systems software, the gold standard, does not work without their specific cable. I would have to find a Windows machine, or spend more money in software than I did for the radios.

And, although the radio might be programmed without such software, I'll be dad gummed if I can find easy instructions how. I downloaded the source user manual. Nothing. I downloaded the best enthusiast manual, and even that can't describe how to add repeater CTCSS tones.

The label on the UV5R fell off the radio, and I had to glue it back on. The antenna connection is of course the opposite gender to every antenna I have. So, I would have to purchase new antennas or adapters.

The radio is so small I can't easily punch the buttons.

I thought buying Baofeng would be educational. I just didn't know how informative they would be, in only a couple of days of attempted use.

Give me Japanese products every day over this stuff. If only I could roast the Baofeng products like Jim Carrey. Like he does in the movie Liar Liar, as he lambastes each of the people in his law firm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6YLAmKFpRM

I know the products have a following, but I am sorely disappointed. Thankfully I can resell them.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are great cheap radios to take on a boat, canoe, or doing other activities where you'd cry if your expensive radio were to become damaged. Break one of these, throw it away and be glad it's not your $400+ radio.

You could presumably run a windows emulator on your current computer to use the programming software. I wouldn't blame these radios for the shortcomings of your Apple computer. Razz

These aren't trying to compete with higher end radios, they're trying to be cheap, disposable radios to sell to preppers, entry level folks, and people who partake in activities where damaging a good, expensive radio is likely.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ Yup, Baofeng is what our field guys use on the frac sites.
Haven't heard any complaints.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15312 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the ham stuff (not my thing, yet), but ICOM is pretty much the standard for handheld VHF radios for aviation.

I always carried one in my flight bag and it saved my bacon more than once when I had system problems in the airplane.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^

Baofengs suck green elephant dicks.

Yaesu/Icom/Kenwood are the 3 major manufacturers of Amateur Radios, stick with these. Icom makes more than Amateur radios, as V Tail noted. I’m sure you’ve heard of Kenwood, they’ve been around since dirt, are huge with many types of products. Yaesu is excellent.

For an excellent reliable etc hand held dual band radio 2 meter/440mhz VHF/UHF at a great price look no further than a Yaesu FT60R VHF\UHF dual bander. Period. $150-ish and worth every penny.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
A Baofeng is one-half of my Satellite setup (TX on the Baofeng, RX on the Kenwood.) When I started, Baofeng was two-halves. It's served me well in that limited role (two grids away from VUCC.)

Design and controls are what they are, so issues like the panel and programming won't change (I've never programmed either the Baofengs or my Kenwood any way other than Chirp or RT because of that.) QC is crap, so your individual Baofeng is luck of the draw. Best case, you'll get decent service life, marginally acceptable spectral purity. Worst case, lock it down and set a single receive-only Weather Band frequency so at least it'll serve SOME purpose.

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
They have a following because they are cheap as hell. I think I got my UV5RTP for like $20 and it works well enough. It's a great beater to keep in the Jeep.

Try these instructions for programming manually. It's still a little clunky, but not bad once you get the hang of it. I use CHIRP for most of my programming, but I've done it manually too. These instructions give you what you need to know to set up for repeater use in the field even if you aren't going to set it as a memory channel.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
They're small enough to fit in the backpack I carry everywhere, they program decently easily once you get the software to work, and they're cheap. Past that, I'd prefer my old Motorola for UHF, even taking into account that I'd need to find another Windows 3.1/95/98 PC to run the software and program over serial.

I bought a bundle on Amazon; it came with a handpiece, two batteries, and both UHF and VHF antennas. It also came with a programming cable that turned out to be counterfeit, so I had to drop an additional $25 on a good one. They've apparently got such a huge issue with counterfeit parts that use the Prolific chipset (the genuine article uses FTDI if I'm not mistaken) that there are warnings on their web site about it, and I find that hilarious.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
^^^^^^^^

Yaesu/Icom/Kenwood are the 3 major manufacturers of Amateur Radios, stick with these. Icom makes more than Amateur radios, as V Tail noted. I’m sure you’ve heard of Kenwood, they’ve been around since dirt, are huge with many types of products. Yaesu is excellent.

For an excellent reliable etc hand held dual band radio 2 meter/440mhz VHF/UHF at a great price look no further than a Yaesu FT60R VHF\UHF dual bander. Period. $150-ish and worth every penny.

A couple of years ago we were fortunate enough to go on a truly remote expedition to cross the Namib Desert in Namibia, an area that, due to its remoteness is strictly forbidden without written authorization and the use of a licensed local guide.
When the guide looked at our comms and saw that we were using Baofeng he said he’ll no and loaned us much more powerful Kenwood radios.
When it came time to set up my own comms I went with Kenwood and I have never had an issue.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I purchased the two Baofeng radios from a friend. So, good vibes there. One UV5R, one UV82. All accessories, etc. But, in the Apple ecosystem, it just doesn't work for me. The flaming hoops to get the Mac mini to facilitate the use of the USB programming cable alone are enough, but guess what, CHIRP won't work on macOS Monterey. RT Systems software will not work with the Baofeng programming cable. $50 then, for their software and their cable. I used the radios enough to know that I would rather spend $100 on ICOM than $50 on RT Systems software/cable. So, I am reselling to a fellow ham at work, who only has his 23-year old Yaesu now. The "new" Baofeng will allow him to tinker and set up and program and all that we do now. Me, I'm just going to standardize on Icom V86 and enjoy 2 meter communication.

-------

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I purchased the two Baofeng radios from a friend. So, good vibes there. One UV5R, one UV82. All accessories, etc. But, in the Apple ecosystem, it just doesn't work for me. The flaming hoops to get the Mac mini to facilitate the use of the USB programming cable alone are enough, but guess what, CHIRP won't work on macOS Monterey. RT Systems software will not work with the Baofeng programming cable. $50 then, for their software and their cable. I used the radios enough to know that I would rather spend $100 on ICOM than $50 on RT Systems software/cable. So, I am reselling to a fellow ham at work, who only has his 23-year old Yaesu now. The "new" Baofeng will allow him to tinker and set up and program and all that we do now. Me, I'm just going to standardize on Icom V86 and enjoy 2 meter communication.

That looks like a really nice radio for 2m only.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Sold the Baofeng today. Cost me $10 to learn a lesson I didn't need to learn, but am glad I did. He is happy to have a new pair of radios and new technology and new software to configure and use. He'll get back into ham radio as a result.

So, I learned, and I brought a dormant ham back into the active ranks.

-------

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Baofeng radios are the Hi-Point Arms of radio. People buy them thinking, "how bad could they possibly be?"

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10922 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I think the biggest benefits of BaoFeng are:

-They have breathed new interest into Ham ranks (they got me interested in pursuing a long time, never sought after interest)

-Their popularity and price point (in my opinion) have help to drive down 1st tier manufacturer prices. No way you could get Icom or Yaesu handhelds for $150 prior to their market saturation.

I started with BaoFeng and Retevis “el cheapo’s”. Still have one of the cheap Retevis radios along with a few Yaesu’s (VX6, FT70, FT5DR). Also have some “high end” Retevis HT’s set up for GMRS/FRS Freqs.

Oh, and a Wouxun, Anytone DMR, and just picked up a Tiradio CCR advertised as 10w (going to see how close it comes before deciding if I will keep it)

If you aren’t a Ham, you won’t understand Cool

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
A friend was selling two Baofeng radios. I thought hey, why not? Two radios, a couple of Andrew Jacksons, I can see what all the hoopla is about for this brand on 2m and 70cm amateur radio.

Are you kidding me? The Baofeng products cannot be used without undesirable investment in more stuff. I don't have a Windows machine, so the free software does not work. I have a modern Apple computer, so the CHIRP software does not work with the new OS. The RT Systems software, the gold standard, does not work without their specific cable. I would have to find a Windows machine, or spend more money in software than I did for the radios.

And, although the radio might be programmed without such software, I'll be dad gummed if I can find easy instructions how. I downloaded the source user manual. Nothing. I downloaded the best enthusiast manual, and even that can't describe how to add repeater CTCSS tones.

The label on the UV5R fell off the radio, and I had to glue it back on. The antenna connection is of course the opposite gender to every antenna I have. So, I would have to purchase new antennas or adapters.

The radio is so small I can't easily punch the buttons.Icom all the way for me.I have 3 Icom HF radios that I use and one Icom 2 meter radio I dont use.Dont care for 2 meters.

I thought buying Baofeng would be educational. I just didn't know how informative they would be, in only a couple of days of attempted use.

Give me Japanese products every day over this stuff. If only I could roast the Baofeng products like Jim Carrey. Like he does in the movie Liar Liar, as he lambastes each of the people in his law firm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6YLAmKFpRM

I know the products have a following, but I am sorely disappointed. Thankfully I can resell them.

Posts: 94 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

-Their popularity and price point (in my opinion) have help to drive down 1st tier manufacturer prices. No way you could get Icom or Yaesu handhelds for $150 prior to their market saturation.
:

I'm not sure how long baefong and woxun (probably bad spelling) have been known in the market, but in 2012 I purchased my brand new Yeasu FT60R at HRO (Ham Radio Outlet) in Sandy
Eggo CA for $159+tax. I still have it, as well as the receipt.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

:

I'm not sure how long baefong and woxun (probably bad spelling) have been known in the market, but in 2012 I purchased my brand new Yeasu FT60R at HRO (Ham Radio Outlet) in Sandy
Eggo CA for $159+tax. I still have it, as well as the receipt.

I was buying Icom HTs for over $200.00 in the 1980s, so yes, the prices have dropped some for whatever reason.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I don't know about the ham stuff (not my thing, yet), but ICOM is pretty much the standard for handheld VHF radios for aviation.

I always carried one in my flight bag and it saved my bacon more than once when I had system problems in the airplane.

quote:
^^^^^^^^

Kenwood and Icom are some of the most popular marine VHF radios, too. Yaesu isn't, but only because the Yaesu brand is part of Standard Horizon, and they brand their marine VHF radios under the Standard Horizon name. Standard Horizon marine VHF radios are also very popular.

Marine VHF is very close to the ham 2m band. Ham 2m is 144 MHz to 148 MHz. Marine VHF is specific half-duplex frequency channels and full duplex frequency-pair channels between 155 MHz and 162 Mhz.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

Marine VHF is very close to the ham 2m band. Ham 2m is 144 MHz to 148 MHz. Marine VHF is specific half-duplex frequency channels and full duplex frequency-pair channels between 155 MHz and 162 Mhz.
Aviation VHF uses 108.0, up to but not including 118.0 for navigation, and 118.0 up to 137.0 for communication. My ICOM handled both functions. It had ten pre-sets for fast access to the most-used frequencies, and a one-touch button to tune to 121.5, the "MayDay" frequency.

I used the ICOM a lot when flying out of heavy traffic airports when departure delays were expected. All of the pre-taxi communication could be handled without the need for engine start until a couple minutes prior to taxi clearance.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I for one am shocked that a $20 radio won't match up to a $160 one. But they do have three things going for it.

They are cheap
they are cheap
they are cheap.

Kind of like a Ruger 10/22. They are awesomely cheap, fun, they work and there are craploads of aftermarket things, but don't enter any competitions.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post