SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tires sure don’t last very long anymore.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tires sure don’t last very long anymore. Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I got +78k on my 2010 Lariat with the Scorpions that were on it when I bought it new.

Went with BF Goodrich (company paid for them) and got about 65K on those.

Had some Coopers that made it a bit over 86K, so I put the next level up Coopers recently and since I am retired, I figure they should last long enough that I'll forget when I bought them.

(most of my miles were highway)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I put Hankook ATMs on my '03 4runner a few years back and they had 55k mile warranty. I have over 55k on them now. They need replaced but I was pretty happy with them and surprised.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with others that the issue is the OE tires most manufacturers use these days. The OE Bridgestone Dueller H/Ts that came on my 2022 4Runner were trash. Loud on the freeway, horrible wet traction, and even worse snow traction. I replaced them with BFGoodrich Trail Terrains after only 3 weeks and about 400 miles. I paid ~$750 installed for the BFG's and sold the original Bridgetrashes on Facebook Marketplace for $400 so it didn't hurt too bad.

That said, whenever I've bought GOOD tires, I've never had an issue with shorter than expected life. Heck, I got 20k+ out of a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my GTI and that included doing track days and driving schools. The only car that I've had that truly ate tires was my Audi S6.... but 680lb-ft in a 4,500lb sedan will do that.

Posts: 1947 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: May 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
90% towing on the tires. That may explain why they wore out so quick. As said before new vehicle tires usually don't get good life out of them.
How heavy a trailer do you tow, and what range tires are on the truck? While "E" range might not run as smooth they will hold up longer.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
As gpbst3 said- our statewide roads suck and the raised very straight/sharp rough entrances of parking lots/pavement transistion are very hard on tires in here Pittsburgh area...

In the city proper (evem worse than elsewhere) sometimes the holes are over 4' deep and the stuoopid depressed drains at edge of sidewalk lane will bounce your head against the roof of the car.
I haven't gotten 30k on a set of tires since we moved here.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
For many years the OEM tires supplied on New vehicles were lower grade quality tires unless vehicle was ordered and paid extra for higher quality tires because that ment a greater profit for the dealerships........ research who actually was the tire manufactor and not just the Name displayed on the tire itself....... Tire companies making multible quality lines of tires with their own name or other brand names............................................ drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Micheline Defender LT tires wear like iron and stick like double-sided tape. They may look like minivan tires, but boy are they one fantastic tire. I have 10,000 or thereabouts on my Tahoe's tires, and they still look like they are brand new.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I typically see 25,000 to 35,000 on tires, and usually replace them at 4 on the tread depth (occasionally 3, if I don't get to them soon enough). I use discount tires for everything, so whatever is left on the warranty gets credited.

I rotate regularly, and ensure the tires are at or 3 psi above door post values.

If the car is out of alignment or pressures are off or unequal, wear is accelerated considerably.

If tires are wearing at 11,000 miles, where is the wear occurring on the tire? That will give a clue as to why the accelerated wear happening. Rough roads, towing and other elements that increase wear are one thing, but if crown wear is in excess, or shoulder wear, etc, then it points to a maintenance issue.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
OEM Bridgestones on my Silverado are wearing ok but are the slickest tire I have ever had. I’ve spun the tires at 50mph on a slightly damp road.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife's 2015 Altima came with Hankook tires, now at 39K and looking almost new.

My 2018 Titan 4WD came with Toyo tires, replaced at 46K with new Michelin Defender. Still had probably 5K left on the originals but caught a great deal on the Michelins so I jumped.

We rotate every 5000 miles. When I get new tires mounted my next stop is the alignment shop, make sure everything is still up to snuff.

Last truck was a 2004 Ford F150 4WD, drove it for 12 years. Replaced the factory tires at 48K, new tires again at 95K, again at 152K, and the last set at 198K, then the Ford went away.

Almost all driving in Colorado, not the best roads in the world. Mostly city traffic, probably 20% highway, maybe 5-10% unpaved. Fair amount of off-road, hunting and fishing use.

For comparison, I started driving in 1965 when it was not unusual to replace tires at 15K or so. I think today's tire products are much better than anything we used to be able to buy.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1092 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tires sure don’t last very long anymore.

I can remember only getting about 700 miles on a set of rear tires on my 427 BBC Camaro back in the late 1970s.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
11K is really low.

Is a 4 wheel alignment something that can be performed on your truck?

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
When I bought my 2017 4Runner, I almost immediately (within 100 miles) swapped the OEM tires for BFG AT KO2, I've got 75k on them. While I dont need new tires urgently, I'm looking.
I dont tow anything, offroad from time to time.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have a 16yo son Mark.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
11k isn’t that low on the rears if you didn’t rotate them. I spent extra for Cooper AT3 XLTs this time and so far it isn’t looking like they were worth and extra $100 each over the Goodforayear Wranglers w/Kevlar. Michelin - 30k, Goodyear - 27k and 22k, Toyo - 35k, but the worst tire with respect to towing stability. I’m going to give the Toyo M55s a try next, but man $375 a piece is a tough pill to swallow.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Goodyears are good for a year. Lol.

My 2015 Subaru Legacy came with Goodyear Eagles which made it about 24k miles.
My daughter’s new 2020 Subaru Impreza came with Goodyear LS tires. I have a dedicated winter set for her so they get the winters off but they’re at about 14k miles with 4/32 left. She might make it through this fall if she stops driving so much.

The Continental runflats on my 2019 bmw x2 made it to 18k miles. I replaced them with goflat Michelin Pilot All Season 4S tires and they’ve been great so far.
The Bridgestone Driveguard runflats that came wirh my 2018 bmw 430 actually lasted to almost 40k.

I’m going to put Michelin CrossClimate2s on my daughter’s car when it’s time to replace the Goodyears. Her winter set should make it another winter then she’ll run the CrossClimate2s all year.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I had a 1999 Surburban and as did my neighbor. We both got horrible tire life. He sold his, in part due to the frustration with the tires. Finally a guy at the tire store suggested I move to truck tires. I don't remember what model Michelins but they wore like iron. (I traded in the suburban 3 years ago or I'd check the model for you.)

Perhaps that info will help you when it's time to replace all the tires.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pootie:
67K on the Michs that came on my '17 Tundra.

Put 80,000 on the Goodyears that came on my ‘16 f-150, I was very surprised as was the tire salesman. Current ‘20 f-150 has 40,000 on its factory Michelin tires, they’ll likely go 55,000. Just about all hiway commuting here in the Midwest.

Years ago worked in a fertilizer business where towing 12 tons behind a pickup was not uncommon. Premium tires were routinely shot at 20,000 miles.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post