SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tires sure don’t last very long anymore.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tires sure don’t last very long anymore. Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
My 2020 Chevy 2500 has 11545 miles on it and the rear tires are already bald and won’t pass state inspection. A $26 inspection is costing about $300 and that’s only because I’m using the spare and only buying one tire. Sucks.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Original tires have been getting worse and worse for years. It’s almost not worth rotating them they are so short lived. I’m kidding. Sort of.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
67K on the Michs that came on my '17 Tundra.

I had my patience tested... I'm negative.

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Factory tires are often trash it seems nowadays. The Goodyears that came on my Tacoma were a joke. They didn’t wear well and had treads more suited to a car than an off road truck.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
31k on my 2019 GMC Sierra, still looking good, mostly highway.

Less than 12k and can't pass an inspection is unacceptable. I think I might go have a talk with my dealership/salesman.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm typically getting 35K~40K on my tires.

OTOH, I drive fairly conservatively except for doing 80+ MPH on the freeway.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
11k is pretty low. I don't imagine you peeling off and careening around curves.

I was over 40,000 on factory tires on my Maxima. I finally figured I needed them replaced since going downhill on a slightly damp morning, I was braking slightly and I was sliding down.

We don't have a state inspection for tires or anything else other than smog every other year.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pootie:

This boggles my mind. You dont have location listed but I assume its flat and straight.

Here in PA you cant go a quarter mile before going up or down a hill or around a sharp. You would be lucky to get 20k on a set of tires.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I got over 60k from the last set of Hankook tires on my 4x4 Tacoma.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've ranted about it on here before.

The Continental, directional, staggered, run flat tires that came on my CPO Mercedes were bald in about 16k miles.
Mercedes wanted $1,400 for a new set.

Opted for a set of non-RFT Bridgestones (non-directional, so I could at least rotate L<>R) & got about 36k out of them.

Just took a set of Michelin Defender tires off my Malibu, they had something like a 90k mile warranty & only had about 47k on them (but no svc history, so no prorate)

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
20,000 on a 2016 Mazda 6. OEM= Toyo
Replaced with Continental A/S still great tread, now @ 56,000 miles. Still made in the USA!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Mark,

That is very low miles for worn out tires. Check you glove box for a warranty booklet on the tires themselves, it will be separate from the factory books

GM used to use the Firestone Transforce on the HD's, I was amazed at how many miles folks were getting out of those, 80k plus

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Mark,

That is very low miles for worn out tires. Check you glove box for a warranty booklet on the tires themselves, it will be separate from the factory books

GM used to use the Firestone Transforce on the HD's, I was amazed at how many miles folks were getting out of those, 80k plus
There’s nothing other than the factory booklets.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I'm in Maine with plenty of potholes and hills/winding roads and get north of 50k on my Michelin Defender LT with my 06 Pathfinder.

My wife has a 17 Escape, we got 40k with her last Michelin tires (not sure what line they are, I just kobe it's not Defenders due to the size).

I rotate with every oil change, about 5k intervals.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

This boggles my mind. You dont have location listed but I assume its flat and straight.

Here in PA you cant go a quarter mile before going up or down a hill or around a sharp. You would be lucky to get 20k on a set of tires.

SE TX Not much elevation change. Don't spin 'em when I take off and don't slide 'em when I stop unless some idiot changes my mind. Just turned into 68K at lunch.

I had my patience tested... I'm negative.

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
There’s nothing other than the factor booklets.

It should be with those but a separate pamphlet for the tires only

I would check with the tire manufacturer about their warranty

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
quote:
There’s nothing other than the factor booklets.

It should be with those but a separate pamphlet for the tires only

I would check with the tire manufacturer about their warranty
Nothing. I don’t think it was included because I still have the sticker you sent in the baggie. Big Grin

I use it about 90% off the time for towing a trailer. I’m sure that voids the warranty even though 11k is still a really low number of miles. I’ll check the website.

Besides, the local GM shop keeps screwing me over because I didn’t buy from them. With warranty work they say “We’ll have to order the part. We’ll call you when it comes in.” Then they never call and no one knows what I’m talking about when I ask about it. I must be on their poop list.

Does a dealership get paid by GM to do warranty work?

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does a dealership get paid by GM to do warranty work?

Yes, at a reduced rate

A call to GM customer service may be in order for your local dealerships attitude.

Definitely contact the tire manufacturer, they would be the one warrantying the tires, not GM

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

SE TX Not much elevation change. Don't spin 'em when I take off and don't slide 'em when I stop unless some idiot changes my mind. Just turned into 68K at lunch.

Depending on the part of SE TX I could see it.
I grew up in Houston & N of Beaumont.
Houston traffic, I could see some reduced mileage, but the Piney Woods area, small towns with decent roads, no problem.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Factory tires are often trash it seems nowadays.

Yep. That's the problem here. It's not tires in general, just that manufacturers are cutting costs on their factory tires.

On my most recent car, the factory Yokohama Geolandars wore out in under 30k miles. Whereas the replacement Michelin Defender T+Hs still have well over half their life left after another 35k.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post