SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Windows
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
How I HATE thee. Mad

Bill Gates should be drawn, quartered, and set aflame. His remains then transported to the nearest landfill for every seagull in King County to shit upon.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
What don't you like about it?

I just got a new laptop with windows 10 in it. Yes, the start isn't what it used to be. It's different. I can rearrange stuff in it. So I think I can get used to it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19576 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
How I HATE thee. Mad

I thought you used a Mac?

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm really starting to like my HP Envy with the touch screen a lot. Yeah, it took awhile to adjust to Win 10 but it's been stable. The key I think is to be sure you have the latest drivers. Some of the older ones that worked with Win 7 don't play well with 10.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
How I HATE thee. Mad

I thought you used a Mac?

I am all Mac all the time. My hospital, however, is all PC all the time.

The damn things are slower than molasses. They freeze up constantly, and when you try to "end process", that freezes up as well. So, after 15 minutes of waiting for it to figure itself out, you resort to simply shutting the damn thing down and rebooting it because that has to be faster than this waiting...and waiting.... Then, when it finally starts up again at 5-10 minutes (my Macs do it in about 10 seconds), it informs you the the previous command was stopped in a goofy way and that it needs to reconfigure itself. I wait...and wait...and wait...and finally say fuck it and shut the damn thing down again. OK then...that stops the current reconfigure. Try to open the program again? Freeze. Aaaaaand...here we go again. Mad

Mostly I hate them because they are so gawd awful slow. I'll double click an icon and can literally walk away from my office, get a cup of coffee, and come back before the program is running.

I keep threatening our IT guy that I'm going to bring my old MacBook Pro to use and throw this POS in the dump right next to Bill Gates.

Plus, all of our intra-operative charting is computerized and our surgeons take a dim view when cases are delayed because our garbage PCs are too slow to boot up on time. So, we need to go ahead and start the case, leaving me to have to go back and back chart all of my information that should have flowed over automatically without screwing up the current ongoing charting. PITA? Yes.

Fuck you Bill Gates. I hope you burn in hell.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
My hospital, however, is all PC all the time. The damn things are slower than molasses.

They just bought shit computers. A crap computer asked to do things it just can't handle isn't the OS's fault.
If Bill gets drawn and quartered anyway, I don't care. Wink

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
I'm with Gustofer. If I could afford it I would go with apple. Vista was a half decent system and Win. 7 was not too bad but, every thing after has been a royal cluster. Just my 2 cents worth.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Ah, the joys of the electronic medical record. Fuck it! I'm retired!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20301 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
The problems you describe are not problems with Windows.

Posts: 3652 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vista was a half decent system..

That "half decent system" was the last straw that made me convert to Mac OS.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I had to get new work laptop, which had to come with Windows 10. I needed to make a shit ton of personalized changes which are now all hidden in different places. Worst for me is you can NOT decide when to allow updates. As I travel daily w/laptop for work, I find it horrible that I can go get my 2nd coffee and come to office to pack up, and find the laptop doing a 45 min update which I now have to wait for. Excel freezes for me frequently as well.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1989 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mac Mini, macbook pro and VMWare for Win7 & Win10 works great

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Everyone has their own preferences.
Even though I am in "the" business I respect others who do not understand Microsoft as much as I do.
Everyone likes to blame the Operating System because it is the low hanging fruit.
However many factors can affect performance.
Using current hardware, properly installed and relatively current software and some routine maintenance might ease the pain.
Additionally, some knowledge or training can go a long way too.

Posts: 22851 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
The problems you describe are not problems with Windows.

You would be correct.

What I see everyday in the corporate world is pushing aging hardware to the limit, no maintenance and ancient applications.
Along with no control or supervision of the user.

Posts: 22851 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Sorry you're having issue Gus, but I'm also in the "you're running on crappy hardware" camp.

(Thanks to the Lenovo outlet thread here about 3 weeks ago) I just upgraded laptops for work - went from a 5 year old Thinkpad running Win 7 to a really nice Thinkpad running Win 10 with 32G RAM, 2 SSD drives and an additional 2T SATA drive. I gotta say this thing boots up in less time than I can grab my power supply out of the bag. Granted, this is probably a bit more than most end users, however, I'd attribute the quick boot time to the SSD which is easily in reach of a consumer grade laptop.

I was productive in Win 7, hated 8 and 8.1, but Win 10 has been a pretty easy migration path for me.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post