SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    200 feet! You can’t walk 200 feet?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

200 feet! You can’t walk 200 feet? Login/Join 
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
And, why are there "School zones"? Kids don't drive, and if they're playing frogger, it should be used to weed out the weak and stupid.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
And, why are there "School zones"? Kids don't drive, and if they're playing frogger, it should be used to weed out the weak and stupid.

Very Spartan Big Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ha! I just had this conversation with my daughter the other day. I told her when I was a kid we had to cross a busy street to get to school and I saw my friend Mark get tagged by a car. He ended up in the hospital with a broken pelvis BUT we all learned a valuable lesson that when car vs kid, car wins and no one ever got hit after that.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For 2 years in middle school I had to take a bus to school, the walk to the bus stop was a 1/3 of a mile from home. Only time mom drove us was if it was poring rain, light rain we walked. It was South Florid, it rains everyday.

But funnier than that, I rode my bike to school everyday during elementary school, last year of middle and 2 years of High School.

Elementary school and middle school were a mile away, and high school was 2 miles. Rain or shine.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I get behind a bus every morning that stops at each individual kids driveway. Not every 5th driveway. Every. Single. House.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
...They are being raised like veal calves. No playing outside, no climbing trees, no ball play. Nothing. Veal calves. ...

Very tender. They makeum fine long pig.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Thought of this thread today as I watch the bus zip around the street, we are at the end of a long horseshoe shaped "circle".

Apparently the middle schooler across the street and over wasn't outside so as soon as within site the driver starts honking the horn. And keeps honking for 45 seconds or so.

Now I'm not saying most folks aren't already up by 0649, but that's just ridiculous. Back in the day they just kept going if a stop was vacant. I mean, what would she do if the little precious doesn't come out - go up to the door to make her some soup?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Yes it's damn near door to door now days. In elementary school I was a "walker", meaning I walked to school. It was probably a little under a 1/2 mile away.

I walked to school, elementary through high school, as long as I can recall--except on days I rode my bike or, later, was allowed to drive one of my parents' cars.

It just so happened that, wherever we lived and whatever school I was in (elementary, junior high, high) it was about a one mile walk each way.

And, yeah: We walked every freakin' day, unless it was pouring rain so hard they knew we'd end up having to have our parents come to school with dry clothes. Then we'd get a ride from one of the neighbourhood moms.

Snow? Unless it was deep enough to close the school, we walked.

Course, back then there were sidewalks everywhere and people actually shovelled their walks.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:

Ha! I just had this conversation with my daughter the other day. I told her when I was a kid we had to cross a busy street to get to school and I saw my friend Mark get tagged by a car. He ended up in the hospital with a broken pelvis BUT we all learned a valuable lesson that when car vs kid, car wins and no one ever got hit after that.

I live out in the boonies. Like, 20+ miles from the nearest McDonalds.

Country roads, houses 1/4 mile or more apart for the most part.

When I see a sign nailed to a power pole "Slow - Kids Playing" my first thought is "Keep yer damn kids outta the road, there won't be any problem."

My wife doesn't seem to think that's funny. Wimmen, huh?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
And we've glossed over the other thing about being old and having to walk to school. All K through 12 grades.... My kids, the ones driven to school, is the fact I add in "it was uphill both ways". But it was, rain or shine or blizzard. Sure, there were downhills that were terrible because they were slick. But there really were uphill sections that I still remember as being a pain in the ass. I discovered a workaround that avoided the worst of the hills at the expense of added distance. It also involved passing the home of a really cute girl. Cancelled out the pain of extra distance.

Oh yeah, that worked until she picked up a boyfriend who was rich (relative term, he at least had a car). Then it was more painful because he/they passed us each day.

But the point I'm trying to make was that we weren't flatlanders.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
My 7yo walks about a km to school, my MIL walks him.

I would rather walk then ride a bus.....I lived in the country and the bus was similar to "Lord of the flys" but not as nice.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NextGhost
posted Hide Post
My 8&10yr olds walk a half mile to and from school every day, only time they didn't this last winter was when windchill hit -15. Lots of kids from our neighborhood walk, as they age, they are starting to pack up like little wolves (like we did at their age) and it's making all the parents happy.

Posts: 159 | Location: Not where I should be | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Cross
CHILDREN
Walk

Happy children ride.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
I would rather walk then ride a bus.....I lived in the country and the bus was similar to "Lord of the flys" but not as nice.

Y'know, that was always my impression, growing up. That kids that rode the bus, rather than walking or riding their bikes, were... "different."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Ohhhh... one of my pet peeves: School buses. I fracking hate school buses with all my heart and soul. If somebody gave me a button that would make all school buses magically disappear from the face of the earth (sans passengers, of course) I'd press it without a moment's hesitation.

Those damn things are on the road around here from somewhere around O-dark-thirty through afternoon/evening rush hour. They stop far more frequently than, IMO, they ought to, and they snarl rush hour traffic something fierce.

I watched one, one day, leave a grade school, turn a corner, and stop at a tiny subdivision to let a child off. It was all of about 500 feet from the school to sub's entrance; it was a clear, warm, sunny day; there were sidewalks all the way, and the one intersection had traffic lights and crosswalks. I kid you not.

Lately there was a piece on the local "news" where some neighbour had been complaining of people passing a school bus with its red lights flashing. (Against the law here in Michigan.) They took a video and sent it to the station. "I don't blame 'em," I grumbled.

Did I mention I absolutely hate school buses?

Do you hate little puppies, too?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Ohhhh... one of my pet peeves: School buses. I fracking hate school buses with all my heart and soul. If somebody gave me a button that would make all school buses magically disappear from the face of the earth (sans passengers, of course) I'd press it without a moment's hesitation.

Those damn things are on the road around here from somewhere around O-dark-thirty through afternoon/evening rush hour. They stop far more frequently than, IMO, they ought to, and they snarl rush hour traffic something fierce.

I watched one, one day, leave a grade school, turn a corner, and stop at a tiny subdivision to let a child off. It was all of about 500 feet from the school to sub's entrance; it was a clear, warm, sunny day; there were sidewalks all the way, and the one intersection had traffic lights and crosswalks. I kid you not.

Lately there was a piece on the local "news" where some neighbour had been complaining of people passing a school bus with its red lights flashing. (Against the law here in Michigan.) They took a video and sent it to the station. "I don't blame 'em," I grumbled.

Did I mention I absolutely hate school buses?
Do you hate little puppies, too?
Around here, little puppies do not screw up traffic very much. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:

Y'know, that was always my impression, growing up. That kids that rode the bus, rather than walking or riding their bikes, were... "different."

Window lickers. Every one of them.

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

When I see a sign nailed to a power pole "Slow - Kids Playing" my first thought is "Keep yer damn kids outta the road, there won't be any problem."

My wife doesn't seem to think that's funny. Wimmen, huh?

Kids need to learn to run faster. If slow refers to an intellectual issue, why do you let them play in the street? My wife doesn't find me humorous either.

Lately, I've been seeing signs saying "DRIVE LIKE YOUR CHILDREN LIVE HERE!" I drive the same because my children don't play in the street.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post