SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Being old isn't a lot of fun. Being old and CHEAP really bites.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Being old isn't a lot of fun. Being old and CHEAP really bites. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I had a couple of extra dollars that The Universe hadn't found out about yet, so I decided to put a second hydraulic remote on the Cabota.

Kubota sells a complete kit with everything you need for around $700 which isn't horrible. When I ordered it, the sales guy asked if they were going to install it. Given their shop rate, and what is a pretty simple job technically, I said no, I'd install it myself.

Well, I did that today and it was indeed pretty simple from a technical point of view.

Physically, not so much.

I was working under the cab on my knees most of the time. My knees were Not Happy.

Part of the procedure involved trying to hold multiple castings in the proper relationship to each other and the mount so I could start the fasteners. My hands/arms/shoulders were Not Happy.

Spent a lot of time trying to position my head so my bifocals would focus. My neck was Not Happy.

Installing the actuator lever involved standing on a short step ladder, bending over the rear hatch of the cab, holding a flashlight in my teeth and working the lever up through the slot in the side console and down through the hole in the floor to connect it to the valve and then install two small pivot pins and two REALLY tiny cotter pins. My back and hands were Not Happy.

But it's done and my wallet IS Happy, so I've got that going for me, which is good...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15472 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
LOL that is a lot of truth.....

Still can't figure out how I spend lots of $$$ to get high quality progressive lens that I can't see shit with up really close.

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm only 39, and when something heavy needs lifted, or a lot of torque applied, I have taken to calling my 15 year-old son. It saves my back.

Just last week I was fighting with a seized pipe fitting in the in-law's basement. I was picking up my 200lbs off the ground trying to turn the wrench, and close to giving myself a hernia. I told my wife, "Go get Noah." The thing was off in short order. I told him I loosened it for him Big Grin.

Posts: 9165 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
PHPaul wrote:
quote:
holding a flashlight in my teeth

Buy a cheap backpacker headlamp. Yep, they look pretty dorky but when you need the light right there and don't have 3 hands, they are invaluable.

I keep a cheap headlamp near my workbench, surprising how often it gets used.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 739 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Installing the actuator lever involved standing on a short step ladder, bending over the rear hatch of the cab, holding a flashlight in my teeth ...
Get a headlamp.

My wife bought me a pair from one of the big box hardware stores a few years back. I've used the hell out of them.

They weren't expensive ones, either.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not only a headlamp, but get the “up close” part of your glasses ground into a full size glasses frame. No more neck craning in tight spaces.
I did it awhile back. WAY better than cheaters that are made to be peered over!

Posts: 92 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I actually have a head lamp, just didn't think of it at the time.

Posts: 15472 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Ya lyin' dawg! Ya didn't do anything to some tractor!

Ya met that 25 year old blonde with the big, well ya know, and got carried away with her.

She done tore ya up and you ain't young no more!

She done tore ya up, all them mattress antics.

Gittin' old ain't for sissies!

Just remember, when some sweet young thang, all pretty and smellin' good, smiles at ya, a real nice big pretty smile, just remember one thang.

She don't think you're a hottie and all sexy and such.

It's just that you remind her of her dear ol' sweet granpappy. That's all. Ya just gotta remember that.

And one more thang, you old enuf to know the difference between "tractor" and "attractor".

Big Grin

(way to go, I'm jealous).

Posts: 11964 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Headlamps annoy me because they're pretty much single-purpose, and I never have them with me when I need them (who wants to carry around a light with a big harness everywhere?). My EDC light is a Streamlight Macrostream USB that i keep clipped to my pocket and I just clip it to my hat bill when I need my hands free. Looks dorky as hell I'm sure, but I'm a married guy with 4 kids so I've got nobody to impress, it works well, and it's field-expedient.

Posts: 9165 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just remember, when some sweet young thang, all pretty and smellin' good, smiles at ya, a real nice big pretty smile, just remember one thang.

She don't think you're a hottie and all sexy and such.

That, or she's after my money.
Fooled her, I ain't GOT no money!

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I ain't GOT no money!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44405 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
... holding a flashlight in my teeth ...

AA cell batteries or D-cell?

inquiring mind want to know Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14138 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A guy shouldn't have to go to a gym everyday to be able to change a dozen ceiling mounted lights, without a massage and chiro visits and two days worth of acetaminophen.

But I got news for you, I feel it at 66 y.o.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55139 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oscars father:
Not only a headlamp, but get the “up close” part of your glasses ground into a full size glasses frame. No more neck craning in tight spaces.
I did it awhile back. WAY better than cheaters that are made to be peered over!

Yes, readers. I always get a set of readers (single vision lenses ground to the "up close" or "window" part of a bifocal). Mostly I use them for reading in bed, but for some jobs in the garage they come in very handy. Eliminates the neck contortions trying to get bifocals or progressives to focus.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10870 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I feel for you!

Not long out of High School, doing my one and only heavy-duty automobile teardown (accomplished!) and rebuild (well, almost...) with a good buddy, I discovered joel9507s Rule Of Garage Work...

When you are in the midst of a project and need to do something strenuous in the garage, only at most two of the following three conditions may apply:

1) you can see it
2) you can get light to it
3) you can get your hands near it

This was before the advent of my needing bifocals, as is your situation, which must have made condition #1 even more restrictive.

Glad you got 'er done! Smile

Posts: 15137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
@joel9507 Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I'd add a 4th rule: You can get a wrench on it AND turn it more than a 16th of a turn at a time.

posted Hide Post
I added the SCV 4/5 diverter to my JD last year. Getting those hard lines in place and connected was a real treat. Tractor work is fun, but not easy. I call it “Green Yoga”

Posts: 9019 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent the day replacing the complete steering unit on an FJ Cruiser. Labor is 10hrs, we got it done in 7.
I'm 69 and feel fine.

Posts: 386 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am getting a dry erase board for my front door .

Five things I need prior to departure.

And space for that days additions.

Neighbors mail, shopping list, deliver aunt Molly's late b- day present, etc.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55139 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clip to bill of cap-thanks. I sometimes need a light, and the headband ones don't work for me. I have what my wife refers to as a "simian brow." The headband lights point up at a 45 degree angle. On the up side, my skull is quite thick and resistant to the many blows it has received.

Posts: 17245 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post