SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hi! I'm Amy from Senior Benifits....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi! I'm Amy from Senior Benifits.... Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
Spam calls. Mad

Medicare wannabes, Health care providers, Your car warranty.... Your credit card.... FBI is coming....Your grandson has been arrested in Seattle, Eek send money....

Mad

Click

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
Spam calls. Mad

Medicare wannabes, Health care providers, Your car warranty.... Your credit card.... FBI is coming....Your grandson has been arrested in Seattle, Eek send money....

Mad

Click

If the number isn’t in my iPhone address book the call is silently routed to my voicemail. Most of the spam callers detect the fast reroute and don’t even bother to leave a voicemail.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If a few—even a very few—such scammers were hunted down and their heads put on posts in front of their operations centers, even if they were put there by members of DEVGRU, there wouldn’t be so many of them.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I hate spam calls and texts as much as anyone, but why even answer these calls? I have a ringtone for family members, another for business associates, and another for everything else. The latter do not get answered, period.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Somehow, they know how to spoof numbers from your common inbound numbers.
I get them from areas where we have field offices (TX Permian Basin, mostly), makes it tough to ignore them, in the event it's actually a work call

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
<snip>

I’ve never had a spam call disguised as a number in my iPhone address book.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Comment
posted Hide Post
Received a call from my cell number. Didnt answer don't need a cell phone to talk to my self.

Posts: 35 | Location: Springfield MO | Registered: January 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I know where the longer spiel starts for either the medicare or the extended car warranty. So I talk to them until they pass me on to the person and when the person starts the long spiel, I just quietly put the phone down and they keep on talking.

They've stopped calling me.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
<snip>

I’ve never had a spam call disguised as a number in my iPhone address book.

Neither have I. I have had my own number spoofed though.

But getting back on topic, I don't answer calls from a number that's not in my contacts list unless I'm waiting for a call from a service tech or something along those lines.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Almost everybody who knows me, understands that I am hearing impaired and understands that it is far better to communicate with me in writing, either email or text, so close to 100% of my incoming calls are either mis-dialed wrong numbers, or spam. Mostly spam.

My voicemail greeting is just four words: "Please leave a message." Most spammers do not leave messages. For those that do, iPhone has a transcription option for voicemail, so I can read the message quickly; most are handled by just tapping the little trash can icon.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
If a few—even a very few—such scammers were hunted down and their heads put on posts in front of their operations centers, even if they were put there by members of DEVGRU, there wouldn’t be so many of them.

Where's the gofundme? I'm in.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
LOL I get that call daily, sometimes more than once, they leave the same toll free call back number. Apple call block sends it to VM every time, you'd think they'd get the message to stop...

We need a predictive dialer to setup and call that number for a week, relentlessly tie up that phone line. Used to have one in a previous company, could really screw up their inbound calls...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many of my spam calls originate from: Engadine MI. If you stand at one end of Engadine and throw a rock, it lands outside of town.
Cant say I do business with anyone in Engadine!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes they're funny. I bought a new truck June 28th. On June 29th, a scammer called to tell me my car warranty was expiring.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

I bought a new truck June 28th. On June 29th, a scammer called to tell me my car warranty was expiring.
Nothing lasts like it used to. In the good old days, car warranty was good for longer than that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
"Hi I'm so and so from this and that..."

These are opportunities if you have a bit of imagination.

A couple possibilities:

"Sorry you got the wrong number, but do you have a few minutes to talk about Jesus?"

"What are you wearing?"

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:

"What are you wearing?"

My personal favorite. They never want to tell me.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started answering unknown number calls with “Detective Samson, how can I help you?” and they hang up so fast it’s like I’m tracing their call. The frequency has noticeably declined.

Posts: 212 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post