SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Links to subscription only websites
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Links to subscription only websites Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Good Lord this irritates me. Newspaper websites are the worst with the subscription requirements. I ticks me off that I'm teased into clicking on a link to read an article and then find that I can't read the article unless I pay up. Google almost any current event and the whole first page will be newspaper links. Mad

And then there's the adblocker pop-ups. Jesus man, what's the point of having an adblocker if I have to disable it on damned near every website? I need an adblocker blocker blocker.

Sonsabitches. The internet has become a PITA to navigate. It really is the greatest and worst invention in the history of mankind.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
It's even worse when someone on the board posts a link to a subscription only website.

What's the point of that when you know not everyone has a subscription?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

It's even worse when someone on the board posts a link to a subscription only website.

What's the point of that when you know not everyone has a subscription?
I'm guessing that this is a fairly common scenario: Somebody with access to the publication quotes an article, via copy-and-paste, and posts it. SIGforum rules require a link to copied articles, so the link is included in the post. Those folks who do not subscribe to he source publication are roadblocked by the paywall.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Somebody with access to the publication quotes an article, via copy-and-paste, and posts it. SIGforum rules require a link to copied articles, so the link is included in the post.

I do that frequently. I am mystified when someone merely posts a link to a restricted site whose content can’t be accessed, but after I’ve posted the relevant text I’ll post the link to at least satisfy the rules and demonstrate that I didn’t just make up what I posted. And when the original source is something like The Wall Street Journal I figure that they won’t object too much to doing that occasionally. They have a feature that allows articles to be emailed to nonsubscribers and perhaps it will even pique enough interest to gain a new subscriber on occasion.

And now it’s a good time to remind those who copy and paste to edit out the stuff that has nothing to do with the article. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Use the link below to search for archived copies of the page.

https://archive.ph/

Copy/paste the URL into the blue box.

Works well if already archived. I have never seen a page I entered not be archived already.

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta love those pop ups which cover 1/3 of the page and refuses to clear after hitting the appropriate exit area.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Many, not all, links to pay-walled sites can be viewed in reader mode simply by clicking on the reader view button of your browser.

In Safari/Mac its at the beginning of the address bar.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Here’s something I wasn’t really aware of, the browser used can effect whether the link works or not.

I did a link in another thread, worked just fine for me with the iPad. There was some complaining that the link required a subscription or whatever?? Someone mentioned it can depend on what one uses to surf?

If I cruise through the news & a link works for me, is it more a ‘personal problem’ if another can’t see it? I have no news site subscriptions, don’t plan to.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Many times when you get a paywall article, it can be seen if you change the browser into Reader View.

This is done in Brave for example by right mouse clicking the web page with the article, then, in the drop down menu that pops up, select Switch to Reader View.

Once in Reader View - Voila, you will see what was once unseen...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post