SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Home Depot Dishwasher Installation Screw Up
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Home Depot Dishwasher Installation Screw Up Login/Join 
posted
So last week my dishwasher craps out and after a quick search on here I find an old "Appliance Brad" post which steers me on the right direction.

I cross shopped both Lowes and Home Depot and found the one I wanted for the same price at both stores. Two differences were Home Depot could get it faster and install was $40 cheaper.

The new unit shows up Saturday on time and without damage and the installers were very polite and nice. I had to leave when they were still working and I told wife to double check for damage and make sure it works before they leave, which she did.

I get home and the first thing I noticed it the machine is not centered in the opening. It is more or less touching on one side and has a 1/4" gap on other side...FML

I immediately call Home Depot and they tell me, in a very "we dont give a shit way" they the earliest they can have installers back is Wednesday and I am back to a 4 hour window.

I understand mistakes happen and I get it should have been noticed before they left but what i dont get is how someone could install an appliance, clearly see it is off center and figure that's good enough. I also cannot figure out how Home Depot seems to not give a shit that they are wasting my time and not offer so much as an apology.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a similar run-in with Lowes about 6 or 7 years ago, so don't feel you made the wrong choice of store. They delivered a clothes dryer (admittedly their low-end) that made noise when they started it up, but assured me that the noise would go away within about 20 minutes.

It didn't, so I called to have them exchange it but they refused, referring me to their service subcontractor. I told them that if they didn't correct it that afternoon I'd stop payment on the check, and lo and behold they were back with a new dryer in an hour.

That low-end dryer crapped out a few months ago, and knowing that service sucks all over the place, we ordered from Lowes again, but this time a Maytag. They had a different delivery crew this time who were so good with the installation and set-up that we gave both of them a $10 tip.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Home Depot Dishwasher Installation

That's your first mistake.

You know they aren't all that hard to do yourself, right?

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
bought an oven from home depot. paid for what I thought was install.

they show up and just unload the new one. (I had already removed the old one, so they did take that.) No install. Hell - I could have thrown in my truck and brought it home, I didn't need to wait all day and pay extra so someone else could deliver it - I wanted and thought I was paying for someone to do the wiring and such. Electrician type person or plumber or whatever the heck makes it legal.

Had to ask an electrician friend to stop by and do it.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Report This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
PASig got the first part...replacing a dishwasher is easy peasy stuff, not something I'd risk having them do.

However:

quote:
I get home and the first thing I noticed it the machine is not centered in the opening. It is more or less touching on one side and has a 1/4" gap on other side...FML

THIS is your big issue? I came in here expecting to read about your kitchen flooding or an electrical fire...but you're upset that it's a 1/4" off center?

Break out the screw gun, undo the brackets and adjust it, or live with it.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
PASig got the first part...replacing a dishwasher is easy peasy stuff, not something I'd risk having them do.

However:

quote:

THIS is your big issue? I came in here expecting to read about your kitchen flooding or an electrical fire...but you're upset that it's a 1/4" off center?

My first thought as well. Seems like an awful lot of fuss over 1/8".

Posts: 728 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:
quote:

However:

quote:

My first thought as well. Seems like an awful lot of fuss over 1/8".

I actually was just looking at doing that but think I found the reason why they did this...the discharge house is, or appears to be stretched as far as it can go, which is odd because it is right next to my sink so i am not sure if they cut it too short and this was the solution or what?

I also looked up the company that handled this for Home Depot and it is a local company called Barrow's. They have a list of horrible reviews online.

As for alot of fuss over 1/8", I lump this into 2 categories, my OCD and the simple fact that I paid to have something done correctly and feel I deserve at least that. If I wanted it done wrong I would have done it myself and pretty much guaranteed that outcome

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:

As for alot of fuss over 1/8", I lump this into 2 categories, my OCD and the simple fact that I paid to have something done correctly and feel I deserve at least that. If I wanted it done wrong I would have done it myself and pretty much guaranteed that outcome

No, that would have bugged the hell out of me too. If I'm paying someone to do something, I expect them to give a shit and get it right.

Did they also not loop the discharge hose and secure it high up so that it doesn't back up into your sink?

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
No, that would have bugged the hell out of me too. If I'm paying someone to do something, I expect them to give a shit and get it right.

Did they also not loop the discharge hose and secure it high up so that it doesn't back up into your sink?

I get the whole 'paid for install and want it right' thing, but given they screwed it up to begin with I wouldn't want them fiddling with it a second time and screwing up something else in the process. Maybe that's just me.

PASig brings up a really good point, that hose needs to be looped or you're in for a bad time. You may be best to just try and find a longer hose and pop it in yourself.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

They did run the hose up and over (near air gap but not connected) then down to disposal but it is pretty snug. I am not sure how long the home that comes with dishwasher is but my guess is that they cut it and went a little short so mounting the unit far left gave them the little both of slack they needed...I have zero skills with this but does it make sense?

I get the whole 'paid for install and want it right' thing, but given they screwed it up to begin with I wouldn't want them fiddling with it a second time and screwing up something else in the process. Maybe that's just me.

PASig brings up a really good point, that hose needs to be looped or you're in for a bad time. You may be best to just try and find a longer hose and pop it in yourself.

Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
They did run the hose up and over (near air gap but not connected) then down to disposal but it is pretty snug. I am not sure how long the home that comes with dishwasher is but my guess is that they cut it and went a little short so mounting the unit far left gave them the little both of slack they needed...I have zero skills with this but does it make sense?

Typically the drain hose is not a cut-to-fit item, it sounds like they just got lazy. If they did cut to fit it, it shouldn't be too bad to replace it. Will require pulling the dishwasher out, swapping the hose on the back of it, feed it into the cabinet as you slide the dishwasher back in, then make the appropriate connections.

Do you see any brackets with screws securing the dishwasher to the countertop? They're likely to be at the front of the unit, you may need to open the door to see them.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Typically the drain hose is not a cut-to-fit item, it sounds like they just got lazy. If they did cut to fit it, it shouldn't be too bad to replace it. Will require pulling the dishwasher out, swapping the hose on the back of it, feed it into the cabinet as you slide the dishwasher back in, then make the appropriate connections.

Do you see any brackets with screws securing the dishwasher to the countertop? They're likely to be at the front of the unit, you may need to open the door to see them.

I do see the brackets however I looked up the unit online and it appears that it comes with a 6' house and there is no way there is 6' of hose run on this....closer to 4 feet.

I have a call into Home Depot and am going to run up to store with pics...at this point I am going to see if they have anyone else they use as I do want these hacks back in y house

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
And don't ever use those half-ass installers again!

(I'm one of those "I only trust myself" guys.)

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:
quote:

I do see the brackets however I looked up the unit online and it appears that it comes with a 6' house and there is no way there is 6' of hose run on this....closer to 4 feet.

I have a call into Home Depot and am going to run up to store with pics...at this point I am going to see if they have anyone else they use as I do want these hacks back in y house

I used automotive radiator hose for mine, I think it was a recommendation here. You can buy whatever length you need and it's going to last a long time.

posted Hide Post
Home Depot and Lowes contract out to anyone who says they can install anything.
Having that knowledge is not a requirement.
I install anything that goes in our home.
I may not be Joe Handyman but it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to do it.
I also don't have strangers walking through my home scoping out what they want to steal.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasbag:
Home Depot and Lowes contract out to anyone who says they can install anything.
Having that knowledge is not a requirement.
I install anything that goes in our home.
I may not be Joe Handyman but it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to do it.
I also don't have strangers walking through my home scoping out what they want to steal.

^^^^ This.

We had Lowes install our dishwasher and found later they hooked it up use only cold water. They also installed our dryer and that took three visits from installers before they got it to stop leaking water. The problem? The first two didn't connect the exhaust duct correctly.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Just scoot it over, the only thing holding it in place is a screw or two to the underside of your counter top , open the door and look directly above it, You can fix this yourself in 2 minutes and a lot of times don't even have to loosen the screws.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
And don't ever use those half-ass installers again!

(I'm one of those "I only trust myself" guys.)

Same here. Light electrical? No problem. Some minor plumbing? Pretty easy. Painting? Simple.
Hot water heater installation? Well, it took 6 hours. There was beer involved though. Hahaha.
I do try to do everything myself instead of calling someone. So far, so good.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Report This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I'm paying someone to do something, I expect them to give a shit and get it right.

Words to live by. I can screw up a job for free. Paying someome who screws it up really irks me.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Several people are admonishing Kevmo for ranting about this.

You're missing the point, folks.

He paid for a job to be done. He has every right to expect the job to be done correctly. The "we don't give a shit" attitude from Home Depot is not acceptable.

Yes, the installers are independent contractors and not Home Depot employees, but Kevmo paid the money to Home Depot. This puts Home Depot in the position of acting as agents for the installers. Home Depot accepted the payment, they need to step up and insure that the job is done properly.

Many years ago I bought a washer and dryer from Sears. The washer was not installed properly. I contacted Sears numerous times and got the same "don't give a shit" attitude. I took my narrow ass to Sears, parked myself at the store General Manager's office door, and refused to leave until he showed his face. I handed him written notice that if the problem was not corrected within 24 hours, the washing machine would be at the end of my driveway and he better have somebody from Sears there to pick it up before anybody else grabbed it, and I would not be paying for the charge on my Sears credit card.

Two hours after I spoke with him and handed him that written notice, a team showed up and the installation job was re-done properly.

Flies, honey and vinegar. Try the honey first, maybe several times, but if that doesn't work, bring on the foul nasty vinegar.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30645 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post