SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Casey Kasem
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Casey Kasem Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Talking over songs is an issue on all the Sirius channels, not just replays of old top 40 shows. It pisses me off. I still don't understand why there are even any DJs on satellite radio. Shut up and play music, its what I am paying for.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Talking over songs is an issue on all the Sirius channels, not just replays of old top 40 shows. It pisses me off. I still don't understand why there are even any DJs on satellite radio. Shut up and play music, its what I am paying for.

Exactly my point!

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whododat:
Enough already with Sirius replaying his top 100 lists. Half the songs start late or end early because of his rambling. He is not around anymore!! Move on already!
I like my 70's songs to completion. Let us hear the entire song.

Maybe his producer isn’t coming out of the breaks correctly. Haha

Isn’t this a must with any Casey thread.

40 seconds in or so. He was awesome.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fDYK2H0ldbo

Posts: 3906 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
I remember his voice on the top 40 in the 80’s when I was a kid. He had the perfect voice for radio.

He did a number of cartoon character voices, too, for example, Shaggy in Scooby-Doo and Robin in the Super Friends.

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Especially the chain smoking COPD afflicted Nina Blackwood. Good Lord, listening to her voice and breathing on the air is quite annoying.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
And this is the main reason I won't pay for Sirius again.

We got 4 months free with the new car and it's far better than FM radio as far as song catalog and no commercials go but the talking is almost the just as bad.

Stop talking and just play music. Do that and you may get me to sign up again. It would still be a tough sell with Amazon Music, Spotify, etc. out there.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the American Top 40 replays. I think it is my favorite thing on Sirius/XM radio.

I have never noticed the DJ's talking over the songs. I don't understand why this would even happen in today's day and age. They don't have to compete with commercials.

If I didn't want to listen to DJ's talk I would just stream everything.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Especially the chain smoking COPD afflicted Nina Blackwood. Good Lord, listening to her voice and breathing on the air is quite annoying.

grew up listening to the top40 countdown,

don't have sat radio any longer, but I do miss Alt Madison, she was quirky funny to listen to,

richard Blade is one annoying SOB to listen to, don't miss him at all

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by whododat:
Enough already with Sirius replaying his top 100 lists. Half the songs start late or end early because of his rambling. He is not around anymore!! Move on already!
I like my 70's songs to completion. Let us hear the entire song.

Maybe his producer isn’t coming out of the breaks correctly. Haha

Isn’t this a must with any Casey thread.

40 seconds in or so. He was awesome.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fDYK2H0ldbo

Is Don on the phone? Get Don on the phone! LOL...

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I enjoy Casey’s Top 40 Countdown. He gives good background and some trivia to compliment he songs.

NOW, On with the countdown!

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something creepy about a voice from the dead. Kind of like that Jimmy Dean sausage commercial.

I like how Clint Eastwood performed.I think Play Misty for me was the only film where Clint was manipulated by a woman.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I have great memories of getting up on a Saturday morning after the Friday night football game (and subsequent night out with the boys), and having my best friend drive his car to my house. We'd get out in my driveway and wear those awful '80's shorts and wash both of our cars inside and out in preparation for Saturday date night with our respective girlfriends, all while listening to the golden pipes of Casey Kasem belting out the countdown on his giant boombox. Outstanding memories. God, am I old.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
Classic Kasey here...

https://youtu.be/rV7WF5VVwuo

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've never heard talking over of songs on Sirius channel 73 in the 11 months I've been listening to it and its predecessor, Channel 6. OTOH, I only listen for a couple of hours Tuesdays and Thursdays and perhaps an hour per day on 4 more days per week.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Tiny thread derailment. His second wife is currently auctioning off a lot of his stuff, to the dismay of his children.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry I find Casey irritating. Would prefer Walter Winchell or Boris Karloff do the top 40.
He was overshaowed in large markets like Chicago who had their own countdowns,contests and request lines. Here is a Walter Winchell sample:

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
Personally, I really dig AT40 with Casey, mainly because I was coming of age in the early to mid-80s and his show, along with Dick Bartley's "Solid Gold Saturday Night", were pretty much the soundtrack of my teen years.

If you want to catch the replays of Casey's shows, here's a very in-depth link that lists the stations that carry them:
AT 40 80's CURRENT Station List (As Of Sep 27, 2021)

I usually catch it via TuneIn at 7pm on Amarillo's KXGL 100.9 The Eagle every Sunday night.

Also pretty cool is that one of the last 'Oldie Shows' left on terrestrial radio is on KXGL as well, on Saturday nights at 6pm Central. The local DJ named 'Dr. Johnny Black' (I'll let you guess the inspiration for that name Big Grin) does a slight re-work of Bartley's show called 'Saturday Night Solid Gold'.

He usually picks one classic artist to focus on through the evening, like Johnny Rivers, the Supremes, the Stones, CCR, Sam Cooke, whatever, along with a bunch of other classic rock, pop and Motown artists.

If you grew up cruising downtown on warm summer nights in the 80's listening to oldies, his show will bring back some good memories!

Posts: 800 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post