SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I guess it's possible but really no cherry in cherry ice cream?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I guess it's possible but really no cherry in cherry ice cream? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I have a gallon container of Tillamook Dark Cherry ice cream. It's nice if I get a cherry every couple of spoons or so; ideally every spoon.

But I'm about halfway through the gallon and have not had a single cherry yet, not even a bit.

I guess it's possible albeit disappointing. But never happened before. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice and I'm leaving Tillamook and searching for another brand.

First world problem I know, but damn it, I want what I paid for.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Hey man, it's right there in the name: Dark Cherry. If there was more than one it'd be Dark Cherries Ice Cream. You gotta pay attention Razz

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Try Haagen-Dazs' cherry vanilla. Almost more cherries than ice cream in that one.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Thrifty/Rite Aid? The cartons do not seem to have as many cherries as the hand dipped, but both are good. When it is real hot here in Sacramento, we stop and get a couple scoops in a cup. Less messy than a cone.

Posts: 10 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
no cherry in cherry ice cream
You think that's bad? I just opened a container of Moose Track ice cream.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Ok, you reminded me of a story from the good old days of my youth.

We were building a little ranch style house for someone and between the job site and our shop was an old country store that sold ice cream cones and we stopped every afternoon for some. The black cherry must have been sent straight from heaven I think, especially after a hot days work.

The elderly lady that owned the store sold it for 10 cents a scoop!

One day she told us of the time her salesman advised her she HAD to raise her price, she was loosing money on the by the scoop ice cream.

She basically told him to pound sand. As long as she paid her bill the ice cream belonged to her and she could sell it for what ever she damn well pleased!

She is long gone now but the store is still there. I stopped in with a couple grandkids 3 or 4 years ago... they still sell ice cream cones. But it was almost 15 bucks for 3 double dips! Eek

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It's made with cherry puree most likely and mixed into the cream base when it was made at the ice cream plant.

I used to love Breyer's Cherry Vanilla when I was a kind, nice vanilla ice cream with loads of real cherries.

Now Breyer's sucks ass and half or more of their so-called ice cream is labeled "frozen dairy dessert" and I refuse to buy anything from them. Confused

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Now Breyer's sucks ass and half or more of their so-called ice cream is labeled "frozen dairy dessert" and I refuse to buy anything from them. Confused

Yep. There are several bigger name "ice cream" companies that no longer sell ice cream, but instead sell "frozen dessert". Breyers and Blue Bunny are two that come to mind.

This is because they no longer use primarily milk/cream, but have subbed in vegetable oil instead as a cost-cutting measure. Hence they can no longer advertise it as ice cream, and "ice vegetable oil" just doesn't have the same appeal to it, so they choose to use a euphemism to throw off unaware shoppers.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Publix supermarkets, mainly in the southeastern U.S., sell their own brand of ice cream. Publix Premium is the best store-bought ice cream that I have ever had.

Not only is the quality there, but the price is more than competitive.

Half gallon tubs, still a full half gallon, are normally priced at $5.00 and frequently on sale for $3.50.

They have a couple of cherry flavors. I have only tried one of them, and I do remember that it was loaded with cherries.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a Kroger? Amaretto Cherry my Private Reserve store brand is killer good and loaded with maraschino cherries and chocolate flakes. one of my favorite ever ice creams.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

This is because they no longer use primarily milk/cream, but have subbed in vegetable oil instead as a cost-cutting measure.

Guessing that 'cherry' frozen dessert must use extra virgin olive oil?

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Try Haagen-Dazs' cherry vanilla. Almost more cherries than ice cream in that one.
At 42,000 dollars an ounce, I should hope so.

Posts: 107592 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Ben and Jerrys Cherry Garcia has plenty of cherries in the mix, however shortly thereafter you'll have an urge to smoke a bowl, then tip-toe through the tulips barefoot....

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Two brands to try, Turkey Hill or Blue Bell. Still both ice cream.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
It's made with cherry puree most likely and mixed into the cream base when it was made at the ice cream plant.

I used to love Breyer's Cherry Vanilla when I was a kind, nice vanilla ice cream with loads of real cherries.

Best Ice Cream I had when I lived in Pennsylvania was Green's, York Pa. Don't know if they're still in business.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
At 42,000 dollars an ounce, I should hope so.

If you use your store discount card you can get it at $37,500 per ounce.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I have a gallon container of Tillamook Dark Cherry ice cream. It's nice if I get a cherry every couple of spoons or so; ideally every spoon.

But I'm about halfway through the gallon and have not had a single cherry yet, not even a bit.

I guess it's possible albeit disappointing. But never happened before. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice and I'm leaving Tillamook and searching for another brand.

First world problem I know, but damn it, I want what I paid for.

Maybe it's just me (probably is) but I don't particularly care for the chunks. It's mostly a texture/consistency thing.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

Best Ice Cream I had when I lived in Pennsylvania was Green's, York Pa. Don't know if they're still in business.

They are!

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
You take your Red5 and yellow10 Ice Cream and you ENJOY IT!!!

Working at a Dairy Queen in high school, Cherry and almond blizzard was one of my favorite recipes.

To this day Cherry is a close second to Pistachio as the best ice cream.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Turkey Hill Black Cherry Ice Cream. Today.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post