Find
Notify
Tools

ISP's Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
I finally got around to upgrading my internet services thru "Spectrum" (the old RR/Time Warner/Brighthouse). They told me 60Mbps down and I'm getting 36! Damn!

More importantly, the upgrade broke all secondary email accounts and they have no idea why. The accounts cannot log into the POP server and thus, nothing comes thru.

No sweat getting into the outbound SMTP server, but sending is pretty worthless if you cannot receive.

AAARRRGGGHHH!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I know the feeling. It's the 21st century! Aren't we all supposed to have fiber by now?

Do you have many options for ISPs? There is pretty much a monopoly in my area unless I want to go satellite.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Are you testing on a wired or wireless connection. There's a million reasons a wireless won't achieve the full speed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Monopoly here. Testing in a hard wired connection.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"Up to..." unless you have guaranteed QoS. (Quality of Service) agreement you get the standard "Forest Gump's Mama's Box of Chocolates YNKWYGG" service.

As for the POP account access, email me you working settings and the current ISP website link and let me see if I can help.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you've verified you're not receiving nearly the speeds you're paying for with the ISP and ruled out hardware issues on your part, filing an online complaint with the FCC may get the ISP to give it some attention.

Our local cable ISP had 'technicians' make up whatever sounded technical as excuses for a couple months. Only when I filed an FCC complaint did they sent out people to actually diagnose the issue and fix some of their hardware a couple blocks away.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Try the IMAP (not POP) ports on mail.twc.com ?

IMAP settings:

Account Type: IMAP
Incoming Mail Server: mail.twc.com
Incoming Server – IMAP port: 143 (or 993 SSL/TLS)
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): mail.twc.com
Outgoing Server – SMTP port: 587* (STARTTLS)

*Note: If you are able to receive, but not send, emails while on your mobile device, you'll need to use your mobile carrier's outgoing SMTP server and port.

Inbound & Outbound User Name: Enter full email address like:
johndoe@[division].rr.com
johndoe@roadrunner.com
johndoe@twc.com
Inbound & Outbound Password: Email Password (same as Web Mail)
SMTP Server Requires Authentication: Checked

Borrowed from here

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I was running into the same issues (same company). After explaining a few days in a row i had performed hard reboots of all hardware to persons with same Filipino accent (easy to hear if you've been in Navy) and explaining it only began the last two weeks and between 7 pm and 9 pm ish, they claimed one evening to have reset the node. (Speeds went from under 2 MBPS at those time and just under 50 at other time, to nearly 70 during off peak and 40 during peak usage times.

It was still a denial of being issues on their side.

The claimed reset also killed one of my emails.

I believe it has to do with the recent software upgrade.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I just keep hearing horror stories of Spectrum. In my area, it's all horrible. The phones are manned by ghettoites.

As much as I hate COX cable, I'm still using them for internet. I have "up to" 100Mbps down and I'm regularly seeing more than that when I'm doing massive downloads. Saw some 130Mbps when installing games onto the Xbox. It's normally 50-75 which is more than fast enough for me and the kids.

Of course we're limited to 1024gb a month. I just got the notice we have 144gb left till tomorrow. So I guess I'll do my best to burn 140gb today.
Big Grin

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you for the advice.

Finally the email issue is fixed. I talked to a Filipino named "Al" yesterday and he explained that they were having issues with their "Category 'B'" email servers. Apparently all secondary accounts go thru these servers.

This AM, I had an email on the primary account once again telling me the settings that I have entered to the point of memorization.

I thought what the hell why not?

Turns out the node I am on requires the default POP3 port setting (110) rather than that in the email (995).

Now the accounts work once again.

Clearly this is due to something they did on the back end as default settings did not work yesterday.

Monkey: Thanks for the offer. I suspect you are correct; my "QOS" is probably pretty poor here in the Styx of L.A. Anyway, I get half their advertised speed, they get half their billed charge. We will see who moves first.

Thanks all,

RMD

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
On the issue of "changed settings".

Some ISP host their own mail servers, and some outsource or use a third party solution for the mail, so they may not know a change has been made and be able to pass that info on to customers.

Sometimes the ISP changes the third party, or makes security changes and same, same, of not notifying customers.

Glad you have that part sorted.

Let us know how the "push back" on the service and payment goes.

I have a innate issue with being a "loyal customer" and seeing all the perks and incentives going to bring in new subscribers.

You pay higher fees for years, and the service provider give great deals to fill their user base.

Another thing is such as your case, that you pay the same price as someone else, but you only get half the service.

Try walking into any business and taking twice what you pay for and walk out the door and see how fast you end up close and personal with the parking lot striping...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post