SIGforum
"Cancelled Amazon Order" phishing scams in my email:

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/3150003624

June 25, 2017, 01:45 PM
Orguss
"Cancelled Amazon Order" phishing scams in my email:
Anyone else getting these? They're so annoying. "Your ordered has been successfully cancelled. If this was in error, please blah, blah, blah. Give us your personal info and we'll rape your finances."

I wish people weren't so gullible so that these things wouldn't be so popular.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
June 25, 2017, 01:47 PM
MNSIG
I get them too.
June 25, 2017, 01:49 PM
houndawg
Same here.
June 25, 2017, 02:34 PM
arfmel
Yep.
June 25, 2017, 02:43 PM
YooperSigs
And a similar one with a PayPal theme.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
June 25, 2017, 03:07 PM
GaryBF
Yes, I received one after a legitimate credit card hack email, so I was concerned, however, it said "cancelled" so I never opened it.
June 25, 2017, 03:20 PM
joatmonv
Got them too. I just delete. I know I didn't order or cancel anything.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.
June 25, 2017, 03:50 PM
Floyd D. Barber
Never got the Amazon cancellation email. If I get one purporting to be CC company or banking institution, I never click the link. I go to the website, sign in, and see if the important message is truly there.

Hover over the "from", why would a financial institution or web merchant be contacting me using billg@gmail.com?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

June 25, 2017, 04:33 PM
chongosuerte
I'm currently getting about 30 junk mails a day. At least 3 are the Cancelled Amazon ones, 5 from "Lyft", a few about making my schlong longer, some from hot women who live near me whose husbands are out of town...I block every address and it only gets worse. I posted about it the other day.

Still, 30 a day at the worst, for a 22 year old, daily used, email account? I'm not complaining too much.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones
June 25, 2017, 07:01 PM
WildSig
I've been getting one or two of these daily for about the last 3 weeks. Thank god they go into my junk folder.
June 25, 2017, 07:17 PM
IndyRob
I get them in my email account that's NOT associated with Amazon.
June 25, 2017, 08:12 PM
I get several a day. This all started when Yahoo site was hacked. I get over 120 spam emails a day.

June 25, 2017, 08:21 PM
chongosuerte
Oh yeah, and evidently I have toe fungus now?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones
June 25, 2017, 08:42 PM
Chach
Got one as well, in addition to a few British tax returns good for a few thousand GBP's, and a few notices about how I have accounts that will be closed asking where they should send the remaining balance.

June 26, 2017, 11:40 PM
Chowser
I get those all the time.

Today I got a TEXT message from "Wells Fargo" about my account and click link to whatever.

Don't have Wells Fargo. Number blocked. Probably spoofed anyway.

Not minority enough!
June 27, 2017, 09:27 AM
henryaz

Most of the ones I get are of the "your account is cancelled/limited please update your information" type. Funny that they send the Paypal ones to an email address that has never had a Paypal account. Same for iCloud ones, to an address that is not the one used for iCloud.

June 27, 2017, 09:32 AM
parabellum
I coudn't tell what is contained in such emails, because I've never opened one of them and I don't see why any web-savvy person would. I see the subject lines of these emails in my Spam folder, right before I hit 'Delete All'.
June 27, 2017, 11:01 AM
Orguss
You don't need to open them to know they're phishing emails, para. (I'm just assuming what I typed is what is written in them.)

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
June 27, 2017, 12:55 PM
ador
I started receiving such emails. I know it is a scam. That is why I never open it and delete all of them. But, I started getting those emails AFTER I placed couple of orders from Amazon about 4 weeks ago. I placed 2 separate orders for RV parts. Then, I started getting those scam emails. I wonder if someone had gotten into Amazon's database.

June 27, 2017, 02:14 PM
Rey HRH
I get them too but strangely, not in the email that I use for amazon or any internet sales.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.