SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The dreaded call from the dealer service department
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The dreaded call from the dealer service department Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
Took the spousal unit's Subaru in for routine oil and tire rotation plus some other crap.

Within a hour for drop off, the service writer in on the phone telling me the tech does not want to rotate the tires due to wear. Now 35K miles so wear may be an issue until they tell about the wear, all four tires are bald in the inner surface of the tread. Outer and middle treads are fine. I asked her to talk to the tech about what caused this as I have had BMW's for year. BMW's get run hard and this never happened to me with them. Only thoughts I have is excessive toe-out or camber issues with suspension set up. Queries to follow when I pick it up.

Damn! Expensive month!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20385 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Were those the factory tires? If so, I've found that to be about average. If those were quality aftermarket tires, I'd definitely be concerned.

Posts: 13280 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Personally, while the timing to replace my spouses Subaru tires was not good, I could not wait because I thought the factory tires stunk. Ours did not come with the factory Yokohamas but the factory Bridgestones.

We replaced them with Verdestein quatrac 5 tires which had great overall ratings and also are snow rated too. Ordered them from TireRack at a cost of $540 for all 4 tires in August 2021!

Firestone installed them for $116. So out the door for $656 total or $164/tire.

If it turns out your tires are kaput read the reviews on Tire Rack for the Netherland made Verdesteins.

Posts: 3810 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RDuck - I know you know this but worth repeating - Service departments at Car Dealerships is where the money is made. You might want to take the vehicle to a local tire and front end alignment store that you know and trust for a second opinion.

My MIL took her three year old Honda Accord in for a scheduled 30,000 oil change and the dealership called her and told her she needed new tires, brakes, and front and rear alignment - to the tune of just over $1800.00. She called me and I told her to pay for the oil change and we would get a second opinion. Took to the Local tire store (have known the owners for 30 years) and all she needed was two tires. Brakes were fine and alignment based on tire wear showed to be fine also. Just over $300.00 later she was good to go.

Posts: 3319 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
AWD you need to cross rotate the tires. I do it every 5k miles. OEM tires are usually junk, compared to something better from the same or different company in the OEM size.
You need a proper alignment.

The good news is Continental, and several other tire mfr’s have rebates going on right now. $110 prepaid Visas, and the like, which makes it easier.

Tires are the most important thing on the vehicle (and brake pads/rotors) so worth investing time in. I change mine early every time because you never know when inclement weather will strike.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12907 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Also, BMWs require the pressure to be higher to keep them wearing evenly. A hard lesson I leaned with mine.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34365 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Excess wear in the middle can be due to overinflation.

Posts: 4053 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Personally, while the timing to replace my spouses Subaru tires was not good, I could not wait because I thought the factory tires stunk.

Agreed. The factory Yokohama G91s on my 2016 Forester lasted less than 30k, and had middling performance anyway.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wifes Buick invision had Michelins on it new, they were wore smooth out at 30k........

Sig 556
Sig M400
P226 Tacops
P229 Legion
P320 X compact

Posts: 467 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Excess wear in the middle can be due to overinflation

This is correct, not an alignment issue. Get new tires somewhere else and keep the pressure correct. Most tire places around here offer a free alignment check when you purchase tires, one will do the alignment free...

Posts: 59 | Registered: January 26, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised they didn't tell you it was time to change your brake fluid...Its recommended every two years...LOL That is the latest Honda scam...

Posts: 59 | Registered: January 26, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Also, BMWs require the pressure to be higher to keep them wearing evenly. A hard lesson I leaned with mine.

Agreed. Always higher that factory specs. These tires were consistently run at 35-36 psi and rotated at every oil change (6K miles per Subaru).

Wear was definitely on the inner surface.

The alignment specs showed excessive toe-out on both rear wheels, but only one front was out for camber.

Cheap OEM tires I guess.

At least it isn't a EV where those guys are getting 12K miles per set.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20385 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post