SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    New rant on flags at half staff
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New rant on flags at half staff Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Well, at least Mr Potato Head had flags flown at half-staff when the last MOH recipient from WWII passed. [/sarcasm]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

I'm on an email list . I get all of the notifications when they come out .
Slight drift, how do you get onto that list? I've got a flagpole at the new house & it'd be nice to see the recommendations. Also need to get new flags & a good solar light for night illumination.
This company will send email notifications: https://www.aflag.com/american_flags/

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:

I'm on an email list . I get all of the notifications when they come out .
Slight drift, how do you get onto that list? I've got a flagpole at the new house & it'd be nice to see the recommendations. Also need to get new flags & a good solar light for night illumination.
This company will send email notifications: https://www.aflag.com/american_flags/

Thank you, sir.
Now to look up my flagpole size & get some new (US & TX) flags ordered.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15148 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now to look up my flagpole size & get some new (US & TX) flags ordered.
You should be able to find what you need on the same website.

By the way, U.S. flags are specifically exempted from sales tax. I'm not sure whether that's Florida statute, or if it applies in all of the U.S.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by P250UA5:

By the way, U.S. flags are specifically exempted from sales tax. I'm not sure whether that's Florida statute, or if it applies in all of the U.S.
14 States exempt US flags from sales tax , and several have exceptions to theirs .

Posts: 3968 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ordered to half staff by the President . I'm on an email list . I get all of the notifications when they come out .

That is pure politicking, and cheapens lowering the flag for those who genuinely deserve the honor.

Lowering the flags is for some one worthy of a national honor - a high ranking official or a person of particular note and worth to the country.

These victims were unlucky and have my sympathy, but are not worthy of this honor.

This is a cheap political trick.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yes they've "weaponized" the flag at half mast.

They were at half mast in NY for almost a year for covid. Long after the original date they stated they would be. I would tell people it was in honor of all the old folks Cuomo killed. But that they would go back up right after the 2020 election, but only if Trump lost. I wasn't wrong.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Today Ohio is flying at half staff to call attention to the victims of drug overdosing. Geesh.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got two notices this week . One for " Patriot Day " and the other for the Queen .

Posts: 3968 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I got two notices this week . One for " Patriot Day " and the other for the Queen .
Patriot Day = Sept 11. Half staff is appropriate.

Queen? Not sure whether that meets the flag code, but respect for one of our most valued allies.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
It is permissible to fly the flag at half staff for foreign dignitaries .

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Biden Orders Flags at Half-Staff as World Reels From Death of Queen Elizabeth II

President Joe Biden issued a proclamation hours after the death of Queen Elizabeth II ordering all flags at U.S. federal and military facilities to fly at half staff as “as a mark of respect,” one of several symbolic gestures around the globe to honor the influential tenure of the 96-year-old sovereign.

“In a world of constant change, she was a steadying presence and a source of comfort and pride for generations of Britons, including many who have never known their country without her,” Biden declared in the text of the proclamation that the White House released. “Queen Elizabeth II led always with grace, an unwavering commitment to duty, and the incomparable power of her example. She was a stateswoman of unmatched dignity and constancy who deepened the bedrock alliance between the United Kingdom and the United States.”

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’m a pretty firm believer that our flag should very rarely fly at half mast and that this President is using it as another political tool ordering it lowered for several days for the mass shootings that fit his agenda.

But I’m fine with half staff for the Queen of England dying. I’ll never forget when they played our national anthem at Buckingham palace during the changing of the guard after 9/11.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Biden Orders Flags at Half-Staff as World Reels From Death of Queen Elizabeth II

This is the first thing he's ever done that I'm OK with. But at the same time, it's a no-brainer. And ""the world 'reels?'" Roll Eyes

Posts: 27830 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We were driving by Camp Pendleton yesterday and I saw very large flags at half staff; I hoped that the honor was for Queen Elizabeth II.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
We were driving by Camp Pendleton yesterday and I saw very large flags at half staff; I hoped that the honor was for Queen Elizabeth II.

Yesterday, I'd imagine they were lowered for 9/11

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15148 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post