SIGforum
New rant on flags at half staff

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/3110002394

July 06, 2022, 02:17 PM
Krazeehorse
New rant on flags at half staff
I couldn't find my old thread, sorry. Ohio Governor Mike Dewine has ordered our flags to be flown at half staff for the victims of the shooting in Chicago. If that's a valid cause then we should just leave them down. I'm old school. Half staff is for presidents.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.
July 06, 2022, 02:24 PM
pedropcola
Pretty much. Victims of Chicago shooting is a pretty wide statement. Which one?

It’s the same with hero, courage, bravery. Use them too much they lose their meaning. When stocking store shelves made you a hero I knew all was lost. Lol
July 06, 2022, 02:30 PM
Krazeehorse
Highland Park but that really doesn't make any difference to me.

July 06, 2022, 02:42 PM
selogic
Ordered to half staff by the President . I'm on an email list . I get all of the notifications when they come out .
July 06, 2022, 02:45 PM
selogic
Proclamation on Honoring The Victims Of The Tragedy In Highland Park, Illinois

JULY 05, 2022

PRESIDENTIAL ACTIONS

As a mark of respect for the victims of the senseless acts of gun violence perpetrated on our Independence Day, July 4, 2022, in Highland Park, Illinois, by the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby order that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, July 9, 2022. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fifth day of July, in the year of our Lord two thousand twenty-two, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-seventh.

JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR.
July 06, 2022, 04:27 PM
clubleaf206
Happily I don’t fall under any of those “requirements”, so my flag will remain where it is, flying at full staff.

July 06, 2022, 04:33 PM
mrapteam666
What is sad is that the current administration ordered them at half staff for the Highland Park victims but not for the last living Medal of Honor winner from WW2 who passed away.
July 06, 2022, 05:19 PM
Blume9mm
From that logic as mentioned, we need to just leave the flags at half staff from now on because every weekend there are usually more killings in Chicago.....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blume9mm,

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"
July 06, 2022, 05:26 PM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
Highland Park but that really doesn't make any difference to me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
FYI Israel is not happy. Highland Park has a high Jewish population.
July 06, 2022, 05:26 PM
drill sgt
To me with the flag at half staff has lost the true meaning of rendering of honors .... Just ask anybody that you come across and would be willing to bet that most would have no response as to who / what / when / why.... Also when some local goverment agency ( from state level and down) issues the order/request to lower our flag. ..... I know of a particular active Post Office building refuses to lower the flag because they claim that they had not received notification to do so or use the excuse that there is no employee that could do it. This a constant happening at this Post Office and not just some isolated time ..................................... drll sgt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drill sgt,
July 06, 2022, 07:28 PM
jljones
Flags here are at half staff because of three cops that were gunned down.

I’m good with that.

https://www.wsaz.com/2022/07/0...taff/?outputType=amp

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

July 06, 2022, 07:52 PM
Krazeehorse
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

I’m good with that.

I’m good with a limited local application too.

July 06, 2022, 08:49 PM
trapper189
I have telescopic flagpole. It doesn't really have a way to fly the flag at half-staff.
July 06, 2022, 08:53 PM
spunk639
quote:

I’m good with that.

Crickets from the Potatus about these heroes. What did I expect.
July 07, 2022, 12:50 AM
sjtill
They're at half staff at the hospital I took my wife to for blood tests.
IMO this is being done now for political reasons. IMO it should be to honor people who died for their country--or in local situations, died performing their public duties.

I'll go further, and say that it is intentional, and part of the agenda to create unnecessary anxiety and panic among the weak-minded.

July 07, 2022, 04:00 AM
DaBigBR
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
quote:

I’m good with that.

Crickets from the Potatus about these heroes. What did I expect.

We live in a country where you can have three cops (and a K9) murdered and it's not news.
July 07, 2022, 05:28 AM
henryaz
quote:

Here in Wickenburg as well, at the Fire Station and PD.

When in doubt, mumble
July 07, 2022, 09:02 AM
BOATTRASH1
^^^^^^what Sjtill said above. Mine is at full staff with a Gadsden flag beneath it.
July 07, 2022, 10:36 AM
egregore
If flags are going to be flown half- assed staff every time something like this happens, they might as well cut the top half off the flagpole, since they aren't using it anyway.
July 07, 2022, 11:41 AM
P250UA5
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Ordered to half staff by the President . I'm on an email list . I get all of the notifications when they come out .

Slight drift, how do you get onto that list?
I've got a flagpole at the new house & it'd be nice to see the recommendations.
Also need to get new flags & a good solar light for night illumination.

The Enemy's gate is down.