SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    First DarnTough, now Smartwool
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First DarnTough, now Smartwool Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
I don't get it. What is wrong with these folks that make wool products?
I just got an email from Smartwool; blah blah virtue signaling, blah...and they are donating $50k to ACLU to "Advance racial equity and LGBTQ+ rights.
I've never been a proponent of Para's asteroid, but here lately.....

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Time to search for new suppliers of woolen products.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go locate my post on Red Wing socks with the product number.

They are slightly thicker,
but so far (3 yrs or so) no holes and are wearing much better then the two listed in your post.

Here it is... middle of first page.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3210091374

And too update that post, I'm still working on putting a hole in the first 5 pair. They still feel and look like new.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Fox River. Damned good socks. My wife bought me a pair for Christmas after doing some research. I needed good boot socks for work. Instant convert. I have a half dozen pairs now. As I understand it, they have a lifetime warranty. Send in your worn out pairs for new ones.

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smartwool has to be the most over rated sock on the marketplace. Durability and longevity is a joke. Plenty of better options out there at 1/2 the price.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Point6 Socks guaranteed for life.

I have nothing but good things to say about their socks or their company.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I received an email this morning from Darn Tough.

They are donating 100% of today's profits to the Vermont Food Bank, meals for kids.

Politics aside, I believe that they are putting the money to good use.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I just bought nine prs of pt6 socks. Medium crew.
Lifetime warranty
I’ve worn Merino wool socks for years. Some are getting worn. Time for new ones. They had a special deal, 3 prs for 28.95. 15% off first order. 9 prs of socks and a koozie for $78 shipped. Pretty good deal Thanks ShouldBFishing.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
The couple that started Point6 were the original starters of the Smart Wool company. They were basically forced out by the investors who wanted to make a profit over customer service and their ideals. They ended up leaving with a 5 yr no compete clause. That’s how they started the Point6 company. I guess there’s a special type of person who pays +/- $30 for a pr of socks. Too rich for my blood. But I will pay $28.95 for 3 prs. I’m sold on merino wool socks. Ive worn them for close to 15 yrs.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:

I'm curious what exactly this means. Duluth had their "no BS" warranty, then they retracted it. I used to trade in my pants/socks after I wore holes through them in less than a year.

I don't mind the high cost SO LONG as I get something that is high quality and lasts.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I wore Wigwam merinos for years until their quality went into the toilet. Tried out some Smartwools and out of six pair, three of them came apart at the seams. The other three seem to be wearing very fast.

Just ordered a pair each of the Point6 and Fox Rivers. We'll see if the quality is any better.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Smartwool has to be the most over rated sock on the marketplace. Durability and longevity is a joke. Plenty of better options out there at 1/2 the price.

Agreed. And their sizing is crazy. What they call Large/XLarge is a large to anyone else.

And expensive.

Do they really think saying how woke they are is better than just keeping quiet about it, in terms of sales. I guess they are just so bursting with virtue that they can't keep it to themselves.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:

I'm curious what exactly this means. Duluth had their "no BS" warranty, then they retracted it. I used to trade in my pants/socks after I wore holes through them in less than a year.

I don't mind the high cost SO LONG as I get something that is high quality and lasts.

I haven't tried to exchange any through the warranty yet... Some of the pairs of socks I have are getting close to getting a hole in them after 10+ years. I'll let you know if I try to exchange them (10+ years is a pretty good run and I may just toss them).

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Point 6 recommendation. I now have four pairs on order with the Memorial Day discount.

Reading some of the reviews for the socks I ordered gives me hope I'll get more than a couple of years out of each pair of socks. If somebody can hike 1400+ plus miles and say the socks are still in good shape is a pretty good testimonial.

I liked my Darn Tough socks but I couldn't get more than two years out of them (one pair for each day of the week) because they would wear thin on the heels and various parts of the footbed - and I work in an office where most of my day is spent sitting.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendations
I have worn Wigwam socks for double digits years and the last bunch i bought to take to basic/AIT in 2009 are starting to wear thin.

I was wondering if the news ones would be as good as the old ones but I guess not.

Fox river are pretty good but a tad thick for me.
They hold up great though.

I will have to try out some of these recommendations.

If I go back into construction I am going to need some new work socks.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post