SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Trailer Dealers (dealers in general)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer Dealers (dealers in general) Login/Join 
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted
I have recently sold my old Chevy K2500 and a Big Tex 20' trailer (too much to pull around with my 4Runner). Since I have a SUV, I need something to go grab lumber, mulch, and whatever else needs hauling. I have been trying to get a 6x12 or 14 with mesh sides. Easy enough, right? Not exactly. None of the dealers show a price and you have to call to get the price. No problem. Call around, get some numbers and make a decision...Go to dealer that has what I am looking for in stock with cash in hand.

1) the person I was dealing with was looking at the "wrong trailer" so the number given over the phone was 14% less than when I got to the store. Bait and switch.
2) the store was closing in 15 minutes and I was told "come back tomorrow". Well jackass, I live over an hour away. Mad
3) got a call this morning from the jackass asking if I was coming back in to get the trailer. Ha, fuck you. NO!

Why is it so hard to give people money nowadays? Are these stores/dealers just fronts for money launderers?

Just gonna borrow my neighbors trailer when I need it until I can find a deal on Craigslist I guess. Hell, might even find a local fab guy to make exactly what I want without the dealer markup.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Just a heads up. In our part of the country the trailers are behind in production so supply is scant. That dealer sucked but if you find what you're looking for at a decent price then pull the trigger if you want it.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
You might try Facebook Marketplace.
I needed a trailer for my new zero turn as it was too wide to fit on my old trailer. I found a dealer on Facebook Marketplace for some locally built trailers. He was a farmer that had a trailer dealership as a side business. No dicking around straight up guy with good prices.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Does Lowes still sell trailers?

Posts: 5293 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Does Lowes still sell trailers?

Tractor Supply and Rural King both do. I have both near me and they each have approximately a dozen trailers chained up in the parking lot. No idea what their pricing might be like.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FYI: A Tractor Supply employee told me that people were buying trailers and using them a few days and returning them. So I guess its possible you could get a new but actually used trailer from them. Same thing for the trailers at Lowes probably.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16001 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Call jackass back and tell him you'll buy the trailer at the price originally given, regardless of his mistake.

And ask which online source they prefer reviews to be posted. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trailer prices are ridiculous. I remember trying to buy a trailer to haul 4 quads I purchased. $2000-3000+ for some homemade flatbed trailers. And even more for nice factory new ones. Finally ran across the perfect used trailer fit all 4 quads perfectly. Fold down metal ramp to load them up. It was perfect and the dealer only wanted $1500 for it.

Just gotta be patient. The right deal will show up

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Just a heads up. In our part of the country the trailers are behind in production so supply is scant. That dealer sucked but if you find what you're looking for at a decent price then pull the trigger if you want it.

Plenty of dealers here in VA with full lots. Their problem is rather evident. Won't list prices online and pull the ol' switcharoo when you show up after confirming what you're looking for is in stock and settle on price. I hope they choke on it.

Fakebook has no place regardless of usefulness.

The trailers at Lowes, Home Depot, and Tractor Supply are all low quality & overpriced (once you find someone that actually gives you a price). I don't know if there is some unwritten rule about not putting a price on trailers for customers to see, I've been to about 10 different places and none of them had prices listed for anything on the lot. I can confirm that people are buying and returning trailers from Tractor Supply which is stupid because they rent trailers for $19.95 a day (at least at my local store).

LS1, I told the guy this morning when he called that if he was willing to meet me in the middle on price, I'd come get it. I understand that people make mistakes but I firmly believe it was NOT a mistake. It was merely a ploy to get me to the dealer.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bring a truck or whatever that website is, is good for trailers too sometimes.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
FYI: A Tractor Supply employee told me that people were buying trailers and using them a few days and returning them.

Home Depot said similar was happening to all tools

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sellers could careless any more about providing good service. With the lack of supply, if you don't buy it, someone else will. There's simple not enough supply to go around, so they think they can be assholes.

As example, store is close to closing time. Gun counter has closed early. Ammo is to be paid for at the gun counter. However, they closed it down early and took the register drawer.
They refused to ring up ammo at the main register, as someone recently walked out without paying. Roll Eyes
I stated that one of the employees standing around could go get it and bring it up front where I would then pay.

Nope, can't do it. They're freaking lazy ass morons!

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Our local Orschelin's always has 10-12 trailers on their lot. Most are single axels but they do have a few tandem axels in there as well. They all have stickers with prices the last I looked.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know if there is some unwritten rule about not putting a price on trailers for customers to see, I've been to about 10 different places and none of them had prices listed for anything on the lot.

I suspect a big part of this has to do with rising materials cost and inability to obtain products from the manufacturer.

I was looking to buy a large enclosed trailer. Major manufacturers only had maybe 10 available nationwide. Asked about having one built. One manufacturer had over 5,000 trailers in que, so it would take about a year. They could take a deposit today, but couldn't tell me the price until the trailer was built so that it reflected whatever the materials cost a year from now.

I ended up buying a "temporary" trailer just to have in the meantime. While there a guy came in and asked what they had coming in. The girl told them that what they "ordered" and what they received may be two different things, but they didn't care. They would take anything they could get at this point.

I guess everybody will be trailer shopping on Amazon soon.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15689 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Bought a 6x8 trailer at TSC last October, paid just under $1000. Good trailer as far as I can tell.

The exact same trailer is $200 more now.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/...loor-utility-trailer

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:

LS1, I told the guy this morning when he called that if he was willing to meet me in the middle on price, I'd come get it. I understand that people make mistakes but I firmly believe it was NOT a mistake. It was merely a ploy to get me to the dealer.

Then follow the second part - call them back and ask where you can find reviews of their product and services. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I ended up buying from Huffman Trailers in Harrisonburg, VA.

There was a hickup, he kinda had price, mostly after tax and tags etc, but I had him send me a quote. I had added a spare tire as well.

When I went to buy it, the tire was on the bill as was everything else, but their software did not add the tire in the total...

Felt a bit like a bait and switch, but it was really a problem with their software, and I don't believe intentional.

We ended up splitting the cost of the spare. I was happy, and they were reasonable.

I would do business there again.

As an aside, they do everything with VADMV as well... You leave with tags on the trailer, and 3 weeks later I had the title. That was awesome, and not common for trailer dealers here in Virginia.

Good luck in your quest.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Had to go out yesterday and while coming back home my wife and daughter noticed Ashland Hitch had a few mesh sided trailers sitting out front. Flipped a U-ey and checked them out. Biggest they had was 6.4'x10', not what I was looking for but I went in and asked about the price anyway. Said it was sold already but the price was $1800. Cool. Then the guy said he had a 6.4x12' in the back. $2100 OTD.... THE EXACT TRAILER I WAS TRYING TO GET FROM THE FIRST DEALER. Came in $400 cheaper (no haggling either) and I didn't get one hint of them not appreciating my business. Whipped my credit card out, paid, did some paperwork and returned later with my 4Runner to pick it up. Hooked up to check the lights and all worked but my marker lights. Tech comes out, pops the hood on the 4Runner and pulls the fuse cover. Blown 30A towing fuse so he goes and grabs 2. 1 to get it all working and an extra, no charge!!!!

Excellent experience and awesome guys to deal with. To make things even better, no masks were worn by anyone working there or any of the 5 customers that I saw in there. Polar opposite experience from the other dealers. I don't expect a need to buy another trailer for a while, but if I do, they will get first crack at my business.

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I stopped by our local trailer store looking for a light 2 or 3 rail MC trailer and they had nothing. Zero, zilch. They are a large local dealer and they had 5 trailers total as where they usually have over 100.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And a gun shop too if I'm talking about the same guy.

quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
You might try Facebook Marketplace.
I needed a trailer for my new zero turn as it was too wide to fit on my old trailer. I found a dealer on Facebook Marketplace for some locally built trailers. He was a farmer that had a trailer dealership as a side business. No dicking around straight up guy with good prices.

Posts: 258 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post