SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My Poor Magnolia Tree!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Poor Magnolia Tree! Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
It was just starting to warm up around here and we even had a few days in the high 60's and low 70's so of course my big old Saucer Magnolia begins to bud then the pink/white flowers begin to pop. This thing is SPECTACULAR for about a week then the petals go all white, then fall and make a giant mess to clean up. But while it's bloomed, it's beautiful.

This week JUST as the flowers are about to open, it got cold, really stinking COLD. Like brutal January cold with lows in the teens and wind chills in the low single digits at night. Frown

The flowers are all brown and crispy now and in a week will turn an ugly black then eventually this all falls onto my lawn.

DAMMIT, this is the second year in a row this has happened! WTF! Mad

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I didn't know Magnolias survived up the frozen north

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The Saucer Magnolia is a cold tolerant variety.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have several Betty Magnolia's and they are a little later in coming out.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I have 3 types in our yard up north. Zone 4. My sieboldi is just about dead though. That’s more a summer bloomer. Bums me out. The other 2 are still going strong and thriving.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
Squirrels have been eating the buds and flowers off my magnolia here in northern NJ.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have steel Magnolias. No problem here.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we purchased our home in 1994 there was a beautiful magnolia tree that all the older neighbors used to sit under in the shade with the previous owners and then us. We loved the tree but when it got sick (seeping sap and attracting insects) I paid a lot of money trying to save it.Ultimately had to have it cut down. Sad......

Posts: 460 | Registered: January 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I have steel Magnolias. No problem here.

What about rust issues?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ballistol works like a charm.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post