SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Shipping mags to Canada

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Shipping mags to Canada Login/Join 
posted
I tried to set International shipping in ebay to ship some Sig magazines to Canada. Cant do it, is getting blocked by ebay as is under gun category. If i change the listing to something else or should not ? I have the buyer address, well he did not get a chance to buy it, could not. But if i try to ship it just regular international mail will usps or border confiscate it ? Any input appreciated.

Posts: 178 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: December 20, 2002Report This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I'm far from an expert on firearm parts exports, but ran into a similar situation once.

A U.S. citizen that was living in Canada was interested in buying a gun part I was selling. He assured me that the gun part was legal to possess there.

Not knowing the laws on this I did a little digging and found an import/ export outfit that specialized in filling out the forms and going through the approval and shipping process. Obviously there was a hefty upcharge for their service, as well as the shipping costs. The part had to be shipped to the exporter and, after the forms were filed and approved, the exporter would then ship the part from their address to the Canada address.

When I got back to the prospective buyer with a quote that included this export service and the shipping he wasn't interested in paying that much more.

Luckily, he had a family member that lived in the U.S. so I mailed the part to their U.S. address, after which the part somehow made it's way into the buyer's hands.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's not just a matter of mailing some magazines across the border.

Shipping magazines to Canada is exporting arms-related materials. It's covered by a minefield of various international laws, rules, and treaties, most notably ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations).

If you want to export magazines to Canada, you'll have to get with a registered importer/exporter with experience with firearms-related products, and pay a hefty additional fee for their services.

Not worth the hassle or the cost, just to try to make a few buck off eBay. Any potential profit - and more - will be eaten up by export service fees.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Yup, one word, ITAR.

Saw one company who did auxiliary power units (APUs), and who’s since been absorbed by Caterpillar, get a small jet engine hung up by ITAR because they didn’t have the right p-work in place.

Took about months a more than $100K in fines to get the engine released.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet Viktor Bout would know.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Unless they are magazines that would be more or less impossible to sell anywhere else, I'd stick to the good old USA.
Why risk it?

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It's one of those things that if it works , you make a few bucks . If things go South , it will be life changing .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Report This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why anyone is complying with mag restricted areas.
Mark the package as containing ball point pens and ship away.
Screw the commies and the boot lickers who obey their bullshit.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^I'm not an ITAR expert either, and I understand the sentiment, but I'm forced to say that the above is extraordinarily bad advice. If Canadian Customs discovers the magazines and there's evidence that the infraction was willfully knowing, the fine can be up to $1,000,000 US and/or 10 years in prison. And false labelling of the package would be pretty solid evidence of knowledge and willfullness.

I believe there was a US serviceman who attempted to ship some ammo to his station (was not Canada, but same difference) allegedly as a gift. He marked the shipment as "weights". He got caught, imprisoned and fined (not sure how badly).

It's just not worth it.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I don't understand why anyone is complying with mag restricted areas.
Mark the package as containing ball point pens and ship away.
Screw the commies and the boot lickers who obey their bullshit.
Don't post that kind of thing in this forum. Do not involve us in such foolishness.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
But if i try to ship it just regular international mail will usps or border confiscate it ? Any input appreciated.

Not no but fuck no. Worked for a fortune 50 company. Had enough ITAR classes over many years to know this is a good way to find youself in a heap of trouble.