SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My wife is going to the Hamilton musical
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My wife is going to the Hamilton musical Login/Join 
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted
So a few weeks ago my wife, who is probably more conservative than I am, got offered free tickets to the musical Hamilton on tour in CA. She asks me if I wanted to go with her to it, despite knowing my feelings on it. It is a hit job on the reputation of one of our founding fathers. It is a racist POS production that automatically rejects white males from the play, using the excuse that makes their point about racism. That's BS in that same way that if I only hired real Neo-Nazis to perform the number "Springtime for Hitler" in the musical "The Producers". Lastly the completely classless harassment of VP Pence and his wife makes me never want to see these actors or this play until they publicly apologize. So tonite at dinner she again brings up that she would like me to go. I told her l'd like her not to go. We agreed she could go, and I could stay home.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Why don't you go and then complain about it after having seen it. It will give your viewpoint more credibility.

The tickets are already purchased, so you aren't reducing their box office take. In fact, if you go, you might be able to actively prevent someone else from having to buy a ticket and actually liking it.

For what it's worth, I've heard the music and it's not bad. Tickets were hard to get here so I haven't seen it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aeteocles,

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I went with my son.

I hated it.

I am ashamed at what the tickets cost my wife. Single most expensive show I’ve ever been to, and I thought it sucked.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
My wife went ... she wanted to LOVE it...she only liked it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
My daughter has been to it twice on Broadway. Every morning before school she enters a contest for tickets online. She has won twice and a teacher she has also has won twice. A $50 round trip bus ride non stop gets her to and from the show. I have no desire to see it. She enjoyed it. Believe me, she is not a liberal leftist.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Why don't you go and then complain about it after having seen it. It will give your viewpoint more credibility.

Ding. I’d go if it were free.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen it four times with three different casts. I think it a great show. It leans towards historical fiction but the music is great. I don't agree with the creator's politics a lot of the time but I disagree with the personal views of much of the entertainment industry, most or my coworkers, and some of my family and friends. It's entertainment and the show is entertaining. You should go if only to make your wife happy and to form your own opinion of the work based on actually seeing it.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve reached the stage of life where I have given myself permission to not attend any event I don’t have enthusiasm for. Even if it’s “free”. I extend the same courtesy to my bride. Fortunately, I’m married to a woman who wouldn’t care to attend “Hamilton” any more than I would.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I suppose if I went my views on whether it was denigrating to Alexander Hamilton might change. But the racist views of the people casting the play, and the classless harassment of VP Pence and his wife would not. As to the tickets being free and the producers having made the money from the ticket sales already, that's true, but I only pointed that out in the OP so no one would think I wasn't going because of the insane price for the ticket. Really it is principles, even if it is the best musical ever created, which I kind of doubt it is.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
My daughter has been to it twice on Broadway. Every morning before school she enters a contest for tickets online. She has won twice and a teacher she has also has won twice. A $50 round trip bus ride non stop gets her to and from the show. I have no desire to see it. She enjoyed it. Believe me, she is not a liberal leftist.

I have a good buddy that’s far from liberal, saw it at reg pricing, and enters for the lotto tickets too.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Two weeks ago we took the bus to the Port Authority in NYC to see the play Frozen. My wife and daughter wanted to see it so I went along to spend time as a family. Bus Tickets were $130 round trip but since I am the golden age of 65, we paid $105. Now the good part. Waiting for my son outside Port Authority, a guy stands right next to me, I mean inches. Now I'm thinking something is going to happen. He bent down and picked up a cigarette stub and lit it up and walked away. So now I move to the corner to cross the street and a crack head comes up to me and asks what am I doing? I told her to move as I was an undercover cop watching a drug transaction. She was gone in a flash. Plenty of cops around, they usually keep the pan handlers away.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
I told her to move as I was an undercover cop watching a drug transaction. She was gone in a flash.

That must have been funny to watch her scramble.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Nuclear IMO, if you're not in the mood, you'll hate any show - regardless of the quality of cast or the quality of the performance.

I totally get your point but decided to go to the show. I'm sure some performances are good and others are not. Also, there are multiple productions so one cast may be better than another.

I really enjoyed the show in Durham NC. I made a last minute decision to go and found tickets at a decent price on Stub Hub. With hindsight I wish I'd done what some friends did - read the book and bought the CD. At some places in the play I had a hard time hearing (my age, not the fault of the sound guy). The show I saw had a lot of energy and was just fun.

But again, the tickets will be a waste of money if you really don't want to go.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
All I know is that when I hear about this show, I think of a bunch of pissing crybabies in powdered wigs. That's the truth.

Frankly, I wish the Goddamned thing would close, forever.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is a hit job on the reputation of one of our founding fathers.

It's not. He was imperfect, and the show touches on that. More so, it celebrates his contribution to the war effort, being Washington's 'right hand man.'.

Act II focuses on politics, and his role in creating the nation, battling the Jeffersonians, etc.

It also touches on his relationship with his wife, his mistress, his son, and of course Burr.

I don't think most people walk out of that show thinking they just watched a piece on how shitty Hamilton was. he wasn't made out to be the villain.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My problem is the way the original cast treated Pence. For that, alone, I would be inclined to take a pass, even were free tickets offered.

But if my wife wanted to see it, and wanted me to go with her: I would go--without a murmur of protest or complaint. Such is our relationship. We each do things with or for the other that, left to our own devices, we would liefer not.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paying money to see Al Sharpton in a powdered wig singing "I'z be killing u YT, yo mo fo, I'z be killing ur azz!" isn't something I want to see. It's the usual pandering to you know who!

-=BDD=-

Posts: 135 | Location: S.W. Pa | Registered: January 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

The tickets are already purchased, so you aren't reducing their box office take. In fact, if you go, you might be able to actively prevent someone else from having to buy a ticket and actually liking it.

For what it's worth, I've heard the music and it's not bad. Tickets were hard to get here so I haven't seen it.

Why waste the time and money, and support something with which he disagrees!

I have about reached the point at which if I see/hear about some "star" from sillywood's views on much of anything I "tune out".

The LSM gives these assholes a huge soap box from which to preach the BS. But then I don't watch the LSM either. Get my news here, Breitbart, OANN, for Foxnews on the internet. That way I can decide if I want to watch it, or not. But then I am a cantankerous old man and I don't have enough time left to waste watching horseshit from sillywood or the LSM.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Dog Dad:
Paying money to see Al Sharpton in a powdered wig singing "I'z be killing u YT, yo mo fo, I'z be killing ur azz!" isn't something I want to see. It's the usual pandering to you know who!

-=BDD=-

That's not what Hamilton is at all.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tryed to read the book. Couldn't. Which was strange as his book "Titon" was an awesome work I couldn't put down. Then when they came out with the play, and later the disrespect shown to VP Pence. Nope.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post