SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The mis-use of the term "giving 'back' " for charitable activities/contributions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The mis-use of the term "giving 'back' " for charitable activities/contributions Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted
I didn't take anything, so I can't give anything 'back'.

Why can't people asking for charitable donations just be honest and ask people to 'give'?

The implications are that it is some kind of obligation. Which it isn't, in the vast majority of cases.

Example: Did you maybe once need help from the Salvation Army? In that case, if you were to donate to them now that you're back on your feet, those donations would be giving 'back'. If not, it's just 'giving'.

I'm not suggesting donating to good causes is is a bad idea, and I don't hold back (or suggest others refrain) from donating to truly good causes due to this irritation. And I do 'give back' to organizations that I actually got help from. Example: I got through school with low-interest loans from the university itself, so donations I make to them for use in making low-interest student loans can reasonably be termed giving 'back.'

But, never having gotten help from the Red Cross or the Salvation Army or the local food kitchen, my donations there cannot be said to be giving 'back.'

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yup. We're usually watching recorded "news" and, as soon as I hear "giving back" I start hitting the forward skip button. Well, used to. Don't watch enough "news" to catch any of that nonsense anymore.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Same concept with the misnamed gun buyback program. The dealer that sold me the gun can buy it back, but if you didn't sell it to me you can't buy it back.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why can't people asking for charitable donations just be honest and ask people to 'give

^^^^^^^^^^^
Just another irritating buzzword. Kind of like white privilege.

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't get me started about people who call pointless meetings, have nothing to useful to present, finish early and say "I'm giving you back 1/2 hour of your day".

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Govt takes back plenty and gives it away. Just say NO

Posts: 1406 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Give back, not so much...

Paying it forward is more my style.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps using the expression giving back somehow takes away from the fact that many who will accept that charity have only taken and taken their entire lives and will continue to do so til the day they die.
I also see it as a way for some douche to say "look at me, how great I am to be giving back". Charity should be anonymous, quiet and directed to those in need. A TV crew should not be involved.
just my humble opinion.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is putting the request for assistance in a different way. They are implying that you have something, and are asking you to share or "give back".

A twisted version of paying it forward (that is one I do understand and like).

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is a little annoying, but it is just a "marketing" effort to try to get people to make donations. The gist of it is that "you have benefitted from being a member of society, so give something to others."

Sure, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it is just sales talk.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
It derives from the Jude/Christian idea that everything belongs to God, and charitable giving to one another is akin to giving to God.

Psalms 50:10-14

10 For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.
11 I know all the fowls of the mountains: and the wild beasts of the field are mine.
12 If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world is mine, and the fulness thereof.
13 Will I eat the flesh of bulls, or drink the blood of goats?
14 Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the most High:

Matthew 25:34-40

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

The phrasing of “giving back” isn’t so much misused or implying that you owe something. I see it as a traditional phasing originating from the Christian traditions of this country. Getting upset about it is like those atheists who get upset about a Christmas tree displayed in public.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
What I hate is stores pimping for charitable donations and then giving you the stink eye when you politely decline to add on or “round up”.

News flash, I am perfectly capable of donating to my chosen causes without a “middle man”.

Curious how much of a write off those companies take after “contributing” all the money they collected from others.

Kind of like the government, take money from some people then get kudos for giving it to someone else. You want kudos, give YOUR money away.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10945 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Neil Boortz used to cuss the term " giving back" on his talk radio show.

Especially when Moochelle Obama used it so much.

I hate it too.

As much as I hate the connatation of " drug takeback" for prescription drugs. I bought them legally, guit making it sound like illegal drugs.

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post