SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Snowstorm in the Northeast earlier this week.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snowstorm in the Northeast earlier this week. Login/Join 
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted
We had a surprise late April snowstorm here in central upstate New York earlier this week. Monday evening thru Tuesday afternoon.
I measured the snowfall at about seven inches. The local weather (NOAA) said between 12 and 13 inches.
We get snow here all the time in the winter and are accustomed to dealing with it.

This time it was different. It was above 30 degrees for the entire event. The snow was incredibly heavy and wet.

This appears to be the largest infrastructure damage in more than 50 years for the utility industry for a single weather event. (at least here in my location, trees, poles and wires smashed flat)
They've called in multiple hundreds of utility crews/bucket trucks for repairing the power grid.
We talked with a bucket truck crew yesterday, they were called in from Alabama.

We lost power Tuesday morning about 5AM. When I woke up that morning I fired up the whole house generator.
We ran on generator power for more than 60 hours and eventually they got grid power back up and running.
There are places in my county still without grid power and not expected to be back in service until the middle of next week.
Yup, that's about 10 days or more for some people around here without power.
You can pick up dry ice and bottled drinking water at most fire stations.

The internet went down at the same time as the grid power and just came back today. (5 days, no internet)

I wouldn't call myself a prepper, but do take some pride in being prepared. The whole house generator was worth it's weight in gold yet again.
The Kubota cleared the snow.
No real issues with the entire event other than feeding gasoline to the generator.

AND no internet for visiting the SIG Forum. Smile

Say a prayer for the people that are not prepared and still without grid power.
They aren't freezing to death but they sure are suffering.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1537 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
You should have a warm up coming your way. 83 here today. I got family in Tioga County and they got 5 inches. I remember a ice storm up from Syracuse to Ft. Drum which broke everything growing into a twisted mess.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
From what I heard Broome and Chenango counties were the hardest hit. Although Oneida and Cortland got hit too.

While it gets very cold here and we routinely have high winds, snow accumulation is nothing like I experienced in my youth in upstate NY.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post