SIGforum
Reaffirmation on why I still hate Dick's!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/2580061684

October 24, 2021, 02:53 PM
fiasconva
Reaffirmation on why I still hate Dick's!
Had to go to the local mall yesterday to get the battery replaced in my watch. The local kiosk is really good and will reset it to factory specs and is also much cheaper than any jewelry store. As I was waiting I decided to stroll over to Dick's since I hadn't been in there in about a year. No hunting items or ammo whatsoever. That section is now for kayaks, paddle boards, etc. I asked a clerk and was told all that has been moved to their Field and Stream store. Closest F&S store to me is 31 miles away, not that I would go there anyway. So now, local Walmart and Dick's are no longer selling ammo. Looks like it's Bass Pro, LGS's and their inflated prices, or online for me. Rant over.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra
October 24, 2021, 03:11 PM
Merldizzle
Dicks was always a soccer mom store to me, never liked them from day 1 man.
October 24, 2021, 03:29 PM
sourdough44
It’s been over 5 years for me. ‘Get woke, go broke’ is my mantra.

I realize they were screwy before the current wokeness, but you get the picture.
October 24, 2021, 07:28 PM
cas
I bought a pair of rubber boots in Dicks last weekend. Desperate times required desperate measures. I would have loved to get them online from elsewhere, but I was away from home and needed them RIGHT THEN! Frown

Probably the first time I'd spent money there in ten years.
October 24, 2021, 08:14 PM
Edmond
Last time I went there was to use their bathroom. Didn't spend any money there and won't be.

October 24, 2021, 08:22 PM
tatortodd
Discontinuing rifle and ammo sales happened in March 2019 , and was all over Sigforum, other gun forums, news, social media, etc.

Field & Stream discontinuning AR-15 sales happened in Feb 2018

Dick's discontinuing AR-15 sales happened in 2012 after Sandy Hook. I haven't set foot in a Dick's since then.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
October 24, 2021, 09:38 PM
egregore
You're near Va. Beach/Norfolk/Newport News. (I had to look it up, never having been there.) Is there an Academy store there? My local one is getting ammo back, is reasonably (considering the times we're in) priced, and doesn't hide "evil" ARs.
October 25, 2021, 08:58 AM
sigseller2000
Get ready for another, hearing Gander Mountain is getting out of the shooting sports.
October 25, 2021, 09:22 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Last time I went there was to use their bathroom. Didn't spend any money there and won't be.
I have never been in one of those stores. Do they allow people to choose which bathroom to use (like Target, which I try to avoid)?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
October 25, 2021, 10:55 AM
Graniteguy
quote:
Originally posted by sigseller2000:
Get ready for another, hearing Gander Mountain is getting out of the shooting sports.

Gander Mountain has been in this mode/holding pattern for the past 3-4 years. Covid drove up the parent companies RV/Trailer business significantly in 2020, giving Lemonis the cushion to cut the cord with the shooting sports industry.

Good riddance if you ask me.
October 25, 2021, 12:12 PM
selogic
The one and only time I went to Dick's was when my wife was looking for something for one of the grandkids . They were heavy on apparel , exercise equipment and golf stuff . Nothing there for me . Full of yupee millennials too .
October 25, 2021, 01:40 PM
PghPI
quote:
Originally posted by sigseller2000:

Gander closed all of their stores near me (Western PA) a couple of years ago and while their every day prices were never much to write about, their Going out of Business sale was incredible. I would travel two states away to the nearest Gander if and when they decided to close them down.
The best thing was that the suppressor I bought got expedited by the BATF since each store had a Class 3 license and all transfers had to be completed so the store could close. I got my Form 4 approved in about 3 weeks.
October 25, 2021, 03:56 PM
fiasconva
Googled closest Academy to me and it's 122 miles away in Greenville, NC.

October 25, 2021, 09:53 PM
Pale Horse
I’ve hated Dicks ever since they bought out Galyans.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014
October 26, 2021, 03:32 PM
fiasconva
I must be cursed this wk. Hit Bass Pro with the granddaughter to look at and fondle a few 22 target pistols. Display case is roped off with the old theater type tape and you have to sign up and take a number to look at ones on display. We signed up online and had to wait about 20 minutes. Three customers walked out saying what bs that was. They had no 22's on display but the salesman said they had some in the back if we wanted to wait awhile for him to go get them. We declined and went to a LGS, fondled a couple and my granddaughter finally got to get enough research to make her decision, S&W Victory. BTW, they had a German version of the sig mosquito but we took a hard pass on that one. It's become a toss up now between Dick's and Bass Pro for which one I hate the most.

October 26, 2021, 04:28 PM
smschulz
Never liked Dicks.
I now even have to hold my nose when I go in Golf Galaxy which is owned by Dicks and bought Golf Smith.
October 26, 2021, 07:18 PM
coloradohunter44
I love seeing folks on here voting with their wallets. All these "woke" businesses need to go under. I haven't been in Dicks in 3-4 years. And that's not long enough. Piss on em.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!
October 26, 2021, 07:36 PM
Batty67
I frequented Dicks a lot when my son played travel baseball and needed odds and ends all the time. Not much at all for the last 5 years.
October 28, 2021, 06:52 AM
bronicabill
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
<<snip>> LGS's and their inflated prices <<snip>>

I count myself quite lucky as my preferred LGS has great ammo pricing (compared to everyone else locally), AND plenty of it in stock!

I haven't visited Dick's since they pulled AR-15s off the shelf many years ago after Sandy Hook, and certainly never will again!

Bill R.
North Alabama
October 28, 2021, 07:53 AM
dking271
I have to admit, that every time I see this thread I chuckle at the title imagining that we have a lesbian on the board needing to vent. Me personally I like mine, but being the father of a beautiful witty 20 college sorority girl I pretty much hate the rest of them.

As to the sporting goods store, I do go out of the way to avoid them at all cost and have since they pulled all the black rifles. As to the reference to my 20 year old daughter. This was an actual exchange that happened a little over a year ago while out with her shopping for new sneakers.

Me: since we can’t find what your looking for, we may just have to order them online.
Her: I was really hoping to at least find a pair to try on and confirm the size I need.
Me: we’ve tried everywhere I can think of.
Her: what about Dick’s
Me: I don’t do Dick’s
Her: I do
Me: (silent pause) Are you trying to break your daddy’s heart, because this is how it’s done!
Her: (uncontrollable laughter)
Me: (uncomfortable laughter)

Truth is she’s a straight A smart witted girl that has an improv response time that would rival the best stand ups. We exchange our blows back and forth and truthfully both feel the other has a slight edge.