SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I miss Sears
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I miss Sears Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
So had to do some work on the truck today and aside from a set of very basic tools, all of my tools are in a storage container in Phoenix. I needed to get some deep well sockets and a set of box end wrenches.

Normally this is the kind of thing I'd run out to Sears, hit the Craftsman section, get what I need and be out the door. Well, the last Sears in Anchorage has closed. So go to Lowe's since they now carry Craftsman. Nope, very basic starter sets and not much else. Their own Cobalt section was even lacking. Ok, over to Home Depot, a little better selection, at least they had some deep well socket sets.

So yes, the quality of Sears Craftsman brand has seriously declined over the past several years. But damnit! They had everything in their Craftsman section; deep well sockets, ratcheting wrenches, flange wrenches, offset screwdrivers, all kinds of other weird shit. It was good for when you needed an odd tool right now and didn't have time to wait for an item ordered on the internet to show up in the mail.

This sucks.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I've heard that Ace is the place with the helpful hardware man.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss the Sears of 30 years ago, not the shitty mess that was Sears in the meantime.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
I've heard that Ace is the place with the helpful hardware man .

Ace is the place with the helpful hardware folks.

Have you heard their recent commercials? Even Ace is now woke.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
I've heard that Ace is the place with the helpful hardware man .

Ace is the place with the helpful hardware folks.

Have you heard their recent commercials? Even Ace is now woke.

I haven't seen their recent commercials, but the local ACE is the only place to go if you're looking for anything the least bit out of the ordinary. They're still old school. Not only do they have that hard to find bolt you couldn't find anywhere else in stock, but it's dirt cheap as well. I've had them give me hardware before because I only needed one or two random fasteners to finish a job.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Ace is pretty good, but still not nearly as good as the Sears tool section used to be Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I miss them too. Northern Kentucky store is in the hands of liquidators. East Cincinnati, East Gate is going strong. They carry many fine products so I dont get the closings. You can still find some USA made Craftsman at Ace.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Ace may be the place, but is hard to find in my neck of the woods.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Yeah, Ace is pretty good, but still not nearly as good as the Sears tool section used to be Frown

But not what the Sears tool section was a year or two ago. I went there 2 years ago to outfit a boat with a bunch of tools. They either had none on the shelf (half of the things I was looking for), or only 1 of everything, so I gave up and went to Lowe's.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I thought this was an April Fools joke. Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up down the street from a Sear and my Dad taught me to spend my extra allowance/job money on tools at a young age so over the years I built up a decent set of Craftsman tools. I used to love going in there, the tool section seemed huge and they had just about everything and then some.

Fast forward to a few months ago when I went into the local sears to exchange a bad ratchet. Almost no selection and way too much "as seen on TV" type shit.

The only purpose Sears serves in my life now is that it is a convenient cut thru to get to Apple store due to both proximity and the abundance of parking spaces.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I miss the Sears of 30 years ago, not the shitty mess that was Sears in the meantime.

Agree 100%

The last 10 years were painful. The tool section at the local store was getting smaller every year and was half stocked with their cheap line of tools with the green handles. A trip through the checkout required half a dozen secret passwords for various loyalty programs and they damn near tried to sell you a time share before you could pay.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Was already at Lowe's getting salt for the water softener, and needed a 27mm socket. Took a bit of searching to find the single sale sockets. Tucked into a drawer at & below knee height.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Of course I know Sears doesn't build them anymore and they're likely Chinese crap, but I will miss their Lady Kenmore line of appliances if they ever discontinue those. I've had my washer/dryer since 18-NOV 1995...still have the receipt.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Was already at Lowe's getting salt for the water softener, and needed a 27mm socket. Took a bit of searching to find the single sale sockets. Tucked into a drawer at & below knee height.

PSA. 27mm is the same as 1-1/16" for all practical purposes (1.063 vs 1.0625 inches).

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

PSA. 27mm is the same as 1-1/16" for all practical purposes (1.063 vs 1.0625 inches).

Thanks, didn't have either in my toolbox & didn't want to further bugger up the oil filter housing on the car. Made do with a channel lock last time.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
My local Ace Hardware has a Glock 48 that is calling my name. Sears never had one.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
My local Ace Hardware has a Glock 48 that is calling my name. Sears never had one.

Probably not a Glock 48, but Sears used to have all kinds of cool shit; Winchester .30-30's, Remington 870's, etc. Growing up the closest one to the house was paradise for kid. Craftsman, sporting goods and a video arcade with Tempest, Asteroids and Space Invaders all in the same corner of the store.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was thinking of getting a new tool chest not long back. Sears stuff was total crap. Interestingly, Harbor Freight tool chest/cabinets look awesome.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post