SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why I don't do pediatric nursing...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why I don't do pediatric nursing... Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's not the kids it's the parents.

Had an 9 year old boy in the ER the other night for a sore throat. As usual when I deal with peds, I'll get down on a knee or on a stool so I'm down at their level. I usually refer to the as Sweetheart or Bubba trying to set a friendlier tone for things. So I get down on a stool, start my assessment and ask,

"What's going on Bubba?"

"Don't call me Bubba asshole!"

Absolutely no reaction from mom, she couldn't be bothered looking up from her phone. I can understand that maybe he didn't want to be called Bubba and I could change how I address him. But, if I had ever talked to a nurse or doctor like that when I was 9, it would've been an instant attitude adjustment from either mom or dad.

Even though the kid has a mouth on him and no sense of respect. At 9 I really don't blame him, I blame the parents.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Absolutely agree. Piss poor parenting. First for those words to be coming out of the child's mouth in the first place and second, for not saying a word to the child.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah the kid was rude and out of line. Change the terms of endearments to Asshole and Shitbag.

Seriously, drop the Bubba term, use Buddy instead. Some people equate the term with low class redneck.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Seriously, drop the Bubba term, use Buddy instead.

Yeah, I use "Bud" or "Buddy" with younger boys.

It's kinda hard to explain, but even here in the South, where "Bubba" is a term of endearment frequently used by parents for their sons, or sisters for their brothers, it's a bit odd for a stranger to use the term. It's a bit too familiar of a form of a address for use by anyone besides close family to use in a non-disparaging way. "Buddy" is much more... neutral.

(Unless you know that someone has specifically adopted the "Bubba" nickname.)

Kinda like Gramps. When your grandkid calls you Gramps, that's totally okay. When a stranger calls you Gramps, it's not okay. Big Grin

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Don't call him "Bubba."

Use the Russian / Jewish: "Boychik."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
To these Yankee ears, that's like opening with 'how's it going, cracker?'

The kids a jerk, but possibly not the only one in the room. Might need to know your audience better.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
If I had said that in front of my mother at 9 yr old a sore throat would have been the least of my problems...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I think Alligators have the right idea.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
When I was in Honduras, the little urchins would shout GRINGO at us.

I gladly gave out Piperazine and Albenozole to them.

The blood curdling screams that came with the night was deeply satisfying as the monsters came spewing from their behinds.

They weren't so cocky the next day as I would just grin at them.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

The blood curdling screams that came with the night was deeply satisfying as the monsters came spewing from their behinds.

… You drugged little kids because they called you "gringo"?

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

… You drugged little kids because they called you "gringo"?

Sounds like he was simply treating them for worms.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ah. Still, taking sadistic pleasure in the suffering of another like that, merely because they used some word towards you, is a whole different level. Especially if you're apparently there in some sort of medical care capacity.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
We had orders to distribute the anti parasitics by the pharmacist. He told us what to expect.

And it happened.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
We had orders to distribute the anti parasitics by the pharmacist. He told us what to expect.

And it happened.

It happens. Red Face

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I never claimed to be a saint.

Heck the parents KNEW what was going to happen and made sure their children got the anti-parasitics.

The pharmacist was giggling just as much during the purge.

We played futbol with the same kids during the week. They thought it was funny after the initial shock wore off, but they damn sure treated us with respect.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
I tend to avoid calling anyone I dont know a nick name. Many people take offense to being called pal, chief, buddy, sport, boss etc.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
I tend to avoid calling anyone I dont know a nick name. Many people take offense to being called pal, chief, buddy, sport, boss etc.

Sometimes it's unavoidable. Depending on the situation (like law enforcement), you don't always have a way of knowing that person's name right off the bat. So you have to make do with what you've got, especially with kids.

Yeah, an adult might find a reason to get offended if you call them "buddy". But little boys don't take offense.

"Hey bud! Can I talk to you for a second?" is about as friendly and neutral as you can get when initiating a conversation with a young boy whose name you don't yet know. Certainly leagues better than "Hey you!" or "Approach, tiny citizen!" Wink

And calling a little kid "sir" is just weird. Big Grin

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
To these Yankee ears, that's like opening with 'how's it going, cracker?'

Yeah, "Bubba" would not be my first choice, either. One would think "young man" and "young lady" would be more appropriate.

Nonetheless, that was a completely unacceptable response from the little asshole.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Approach, tiny citizen!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the laugh.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
"Hey bud! Can I talk to you for a second?" is about as friendly and neutral as you can get when initiating a conversation with a young boy whose name you don't yet know. Certainly leagues better than "Hey you!" or "Approach, tiny citizen!" Wink

"Excuse me" would seem to be yet more friendly and polite.

RE:the OP. I would no more call someone I don't know "Bubba" than call them "Oglethorpe". If someone's not generally known as "Bubba", why would they answer to it? "Hey Bill' isn't going to get Bob's attention, why would "Hey Bubba"?

Which is NOT to say the little twerp was justified in his retort.

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post