SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Land line finally going away.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Land line finally going away. Login/Join 
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
I've kept the landline that was in my grandfathers name since he had it put it in 1949...it is still in is name too!

It is more of a sentimental reason over cost and I guess we will keep it from now on or until it is phased out. I've considered porting it over to one of my cell numbers.

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5062 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a landline. It is included in a package with our fiber optic internet. It is provided by our local REMC. We have to keep it because even though I only live 1/2 hour east of Indianapolis our cell phone service sucks except for texting due to trees and lack of towers

Posts: 469 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
my mother working for the Bell System

I .worked 25+ years for Bell Laboratories. BL designed the wireless (cell) phone and decided to sell that segment off because "no one will ever get rid of their landline"!

Oh! What a mistake that was!!!!

Posts: 3405 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:

I .worked 25+ years for Bell Laboratories.
I wonder whether our paths ever crossed. I started at the Labs when I got out of the Navy in 1960, at the 140 West St location in NYC. My department was among the first wave to move into the new Holmdel NJ facility in 1962, I worked there until I left to join IT&T in Puerto Rico in 1966.

Returned to the U.S. mainland and worked at the Naperville IL location for a few years in the early 1980's, and then a couple years, at Northglenn CO.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31340 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder whether our paths ever crossed

V-Tail, I started with BL in 1976. Visited Holmdel many, many times, but mostly due to a project I was working on with a programmer named John Allen.

I found most BL folks to be friendly and very open with their opinions: of course, it was an R&D organization.

I was in North Andover, MA until my last 10 years when I was an Int'l Product Mgr on the 10G project. My management was in Huizen, Netherlands and then Nuremberg, Germany. I traveled a lot! LOL

Posts: 3405 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
quote:
I wonder whether our paths ever crossed
V-Tail, I started with BL in 1976. Visited Holmdel many, many times
Post 1976, I worked in the Naperville IL, and NorthGlenn CO locations. Never returned to Holmdel after I left in 1966.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31340 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad worked at Indiana Bell as a switchMan at the Walnut Street office in Indianapolis. I remember going to the campground that The union owned. Mom and dad were so frugal I remember we had a party line even though dad could have gotten a private line for next to nothing.

Posts: 469 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
And it’s officially gone…….

No more “Hello, are you there?”, “I’m soliciting funds for your volunteer firefighters”, “Fraternal Order of Police calling”, “Our records show your car’s warranty has recently expired” (if nine years ago is considered recent” and the famous “Microsoft customer service, your computer is infecting the network”

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8350 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ours is canceled as-of today. It's a bit creepy, not having a land line for the first time in 70+ years.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9361 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post