SIGforum
Ugh..had to drop $2K to fix my truck’s AC

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/2360004174

June 18, 2020, 05:55 PM
StorminNormin
Ugh..had to drop $2K to fix my truck’s AC
I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71 and overall this truck has done me well the 18 years I have owned it. My AC has slowly been getting worse over the last few years and now was at a point where I basically have no AC and have just a little bit of AC when driving at highway speed.

I didn’t think I could make it through another Texas summer, but I don’t have the money just lying around to fix it and also don’t want to go buy a new truck. This week I got it fixed and it was $2K because basically the entire system had to be replaced since the compressor went out and metal shards were in the system. I bet it might have cost less to fix if I would have addressed this at the beginning so this is a lesson learned for me. At least now My truck blows nice cold air regardless of if I am not moving or driving down the road. I hope I get another few years out of this truck.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
June 18, 2020, 07:05 PM
ridewv
Ouch! But you got 18 years out of it which is more than most home AC's last.
I was going to say just live without it..... but then I saw you're in Texas so $2,000 well spent.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.
June 18, 2020, 07:15 PM
.38supersig
Thinking that it had to be bad if the shards went through the orifice tube to work their magic on everything else.

Having done this with a 1995 GMC as an R12 conversion. The evaporator core is not fun at all and the condenser isn't either. $2K is a lot of money, but the repair is a lot of work.

My other Sig is a Steyr...
June 18, 2020, 08:23 PM
Mars_Attacks
I replaced the compressor, condenser, both hoses and evaporator in the Frontier for around $300.

It came with the in line filters and accumulator with the pressure switch and all the o-rings.

Took me from sunup to sundown, but saved me a pile.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
June 18, 2020, 09:32 PM
StorminNormin
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I replaced the compressor, condenser, both hoses and evaporator in the Frontier for around $300.

It came with the in line filters and accumulator with the pressure switch and all the o-rings.

Took me from sunup to sundown, but saved me a pile.

Yesh, I know you have very good mechanical skills that I don’t. I can do a few things, but this was beyond my scope. I sure wish I could have done it and saved some money.

June 18, 2020, 09:48 PM
LastCubScout
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
My AC has slowly been getting worse over the last few years and now was at a point where I basically have no AC and have just a little bit of AC when driving at highway speed.

That's where my car is at now. I have a 2003 Acura, and I've been putting it off. Did you take your truck to the dealer or a local garage?
June 18, 2020, 11:12 PM
PakRatJR
The AC went out on my 01 Sonoma last year. The oddest thing really....it is a fairly rare occasion that I actually use it but it was getting to be a fairly warm couple of days. It worked great Saturday, went to use it again Tuesday and nothing.

Picked up a refill can Wednesday and it was working again Thursday and Friday. Following Monday it was dead again. I still don't use it often enough to even bother taking it in to get it looked at. At least not yet anyway.
June 19, 2020, 08:11 AM
StorminNormin
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
My AC has slowly been getting worse over the last few years and now was at a point where I basically have no AC and have just a little bit of AC when driving at highway speed.

That's where my car is at now. I have a 2003 Acura, and I've been putting it off. Did you take your truck to the dealer or a local garage?

Local garage.

June 19, 2020, 02:30 PM
bendable
tell me you got a second opinion, prior to making the decesion

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
June 19, 2020, 05:01 PM
Black92LX
Yikes!
I paid $900 two summers ago on my 2000 Z71.
All NAPA parts and a NAPA shop. 3 year warranty.

————————————————
I think that when those dark voices start calling our name in the back of our head we need to remind those voices who we belong to!
Andrew Schwab - Project 86
June 19, 2020, 09:51 PM
Kskelton
I've driven cars over the years with engine ticks, door panels falling off, car basically falling apart, but AC is a must have in everything. Arizona is brutal and Texas is right there with it. 2,000 well spent Big Grin

www.OneStopFirearms.com
June 23, 2020, 01:00 PM
21bubba
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Yikes!

Did you pay yourself the labor for installing the compressor,evaporator,condenser,hoses,and recharge?Let me guess...

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?
June 23, 2020, 01:47 PM
egregore
quote:
Did you pay yourself the labor for installing the compressor,evaporator,condenser,hoses,and recharge?

For what he said he paid, the evaporator core is unlikely, since that is a good 9 hours (you have to take the dash off), and probably not the condenser either. That would be consistent with a compressor, accumulator and orifice tube, however.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,
June 23, 2020, 02:03 PM
nhracecraft
quote:
Originally posted by 21bubba:
quote:
Yikes!

Did you pay yourself the labor for installing the compressor,evaporator,condenser,hoses,and recharge?Let me guess...

The 'NAPA shop' statement would seem to indicate he paid to have the install/repair work done.... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
June 23, 2020, 03:27 PM
just1tym
Has to be the hottest time of the year, you did good!

Regards, Will G.
June 23, 2020, 06:10 PM
StorminNormin
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
tell me you got a second opinion, prior to making the decesion

I spoke with a neighbor who owns a shop and I would have originally had him do it, but he just went out of business. He quoted me $1,000 but I think he may have been talking parts as the parts add up to around that amount. Otherwise, no I did not go to another shop to get an opinion because they want to charge you for a diagnosis and you lose the money if you don’t get it done there.

June 23, 2020, 06:13 PM
StorminNormin
Regardless it is so nice to drive in comfort again in this humid heat and not be dreading every time I stop at a light or something. Just sucks as I didn’t have 2 grand laying around.

June 23, 2020, 06:27 PM
.38supersig
Two grand for AC in Texas? Sold! Sold! Sold!

My other Sig is a Steyr...
June 23, 2020, 08:47 PM
21bubba
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
quote:
Yikes!

The 'NAPA shop' statement would seem to indicate he paid to have the install/repair work done.... Wink

Well maybe you're right but going off his history I'm not so sure.
I'm more inclined to go with egregore.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?
June 23, 2020, 09:10 PM
Black92LX
quote:
quote:
Yikes!

No paid the shop. I had full intentions of doing it myself even after watching YouTube videos showing the compressor can be a pain to get to.

I went to NAPA to buy the parts and the fella informed me the warranty was only valid if the system was fully evacuated and recharged by a NAPA approved shop.
So I called the shop and they offered to do the whole thing for not much more than what is would cost to evacuate and recharge it.
It was a no brainer. I did go with a remand compressor and used to get a pretty nice discount on the Napa parts until corporate took the store back.

————————————————
I think that when those dark voices start calling our name in the back of our head we need to remind those voices who we belong to!
Andrew Schwab - Project 86