SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Home Depot Employees Grasp Of 4th Grade Math
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Depot Employees Grasp Of 4th Grade Math Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted
I've mentioned in a couple of threads that I got some flooring done by Home Depot recently. I chose them because of easy access to them in case of problems with the install or materials and it worked out very well. The Installer they use is a large company in the area and I'm very impressed with the job their people did.

Having said that, I'll get to the heart of the matter. Home Depot gives Veterans a 10% discount on materials (not labor) and that's a definite plus.

Anyway, materials came out around $4,100.00 or so. So, the employee doing the invoice got to the Veterans discount part and started having trouble figuring out what 10% of $4,100.00 was. I offered to help, but she declined and said she needed to do it herself. She was a long time flooring employee and was 3 days away from retirement, around mid 60s in age.

So after around 20 minutes, a male employee, around her age, came over and she asked for help. He spent another 15 or 20 minutes and he couldn't do it either. Again I offered my help and they declined. Then they placed a call to their manager. Bear in mind that all they needed to do was move the decimal point one number to the left and they had 10%. How hard is that?

She came over and another 15 or 20 minutes went by. At this point I just wanted to get out of there and be on my way and didn't much care about the discount any more. Anyway, she finally got it, told me what the amount was and she was wrong by about $50.00 but I figured what the hell, I just wanted out of there so I said okay.

Fast forward to Monday and I got a call from Home Depot that there had been an adjustment on that invoice and I needed to come in to collect $50.05 that they had overcharged me.

So I guess somebody caught the mistake eventually so there is some hope.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
You'd have thought they would have this built into the computer.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You’re an optimist. More than likely a post-processing computer spit out an error message that the discount was off.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:

You'd have thought they would have this built into the computer.
I don't know how they do it at Home Depot, but Lowe's system does calculate the discount automatically, once the system recognizes that I am a veteran.

My complaint with Lowe's is that nobody has been able to get my veteran status connected to my Lowe's account. The cashier has to do something to activate it manually. Every. Single. Time!

Last time I was at Lowe's, my wife was with me. She thought that it was going to take a long time to do this for a moderate purchase, so she suggested just letting it go. I said "no, the cashier can handle this, it happens all the time."

My wife grumbled, the cashier in a smart-ass sort of way said to my wife, "It's OK. I'm married, too."

I said something about "Poor guy." and they both (wife and cashier) gave me the stink-eye.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
V-Tail, I had to go to the customer service desk at Lowe's to get them to connect my account to the military discount. To do this, I had to sign up for a "My Lowe's" card, which I think you can only do in the store. Once they did that, I can now scan the bar code in my Lowe's app on my phone, or use the bar code on the key tag I keep in my wallet. I really like the ability to use self-check out if I'm in a hurry, and not have to wait in the ONE line they usually have open with a live person. A side benefit, is that all purchase receipts are kept in your account so you never have to worry about losing the paper if you need to return something or have a warranty issue.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Millenials have these problems with Math. Usually people in their sixties do not unless they were Learning Disabled.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
My complaint with Lowe's is that nobody has been able to get my veteran status connected to my Lowe's account. The cashier has to do something to activate it manually. Every. Single. Time!

My complaint with Lowes is that they seem to have more and more items at what a cashier called "already low prices" that don't qualify for the 10% off. I can't remember the last time I was in there and bought something that was discounted.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

My complaint with Lowes is that they seem to have more and more items at what a cashier called "already low prices" that don't qualify for the 10% off. I can't remember the last time I was in there and bought something that was discounted.
Interesting. I never had that happen, even with items that were on sale or clearance.

I have always received the discount, even though I had to get the cashier to do something manually that should have been automatic, to recognize my veteran status.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it a math issue or is it a computer software glitch that makes it difficult to enter in an override or discount?

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've bought small things at Home Depot before, a can of paint, some saw blades, things like that and they scan my QR (that again) code on my cell phone and it automatically does the discount.

The people in flooring told me they can't do that with flooring a it's partially labor and partially materials so they do it manually.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At Lowe's, I scan my My Lowes card and it adjusts the prices down 10%.

At Home Depot, I scan the barcode on Home Depot on my cellphone and it adjusts the prices down 10%.

No human calculation required.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Last night my waitress brought me a bill with two drinks on it, one for $9 and one for $15. But I’d ordered the same drink both times. I asked her how much it was supposed to cost and she said $11 and the reason it was $15 and $9 was because of a glitch in their POS (point of sale, not piece of shit) system. I pointed out that $11 times 2 was $22 and $9 plus $15 was $24, and she actually had to pull her phone out, add 9 to 15, then divide by 2 to figure out that I was charged $12 per drink. She then told me they were $12 each.

I just paid it and moved on instead of arguing with someone who needs a calculator to divide 24 by 2. But I only tipped around 15% which is poor by my standards. Not that she has a chance of knowing what percentage I tipped anyway.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Millenials have these problems with Math. Usually people in their sixties do not unless they were Learning Disabled.

This. I always considered Math to be my weakness but these millennials make me seem like a whiz.

A couple of years ago, I stopped in a coffee shop. My tab came to $6.23. I didn’t want a bunch of singles or coins for change, so I gave the girl a $20, a $1, and a quarter so my change would be $15.02.

You would have thought I’d asked her to solve a quantum mechanics formula. She was completely stumped. Even when I showed her the correct amount on my phone’s calculator, she didn’t get it. After arguing with her for several minutes, I finally told her to get the manager so I could get out of there.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
NO MATH INVOLVED>>>>>2 weeks ago while being a chaufer for a buddy we stopped of at a Home Depot for some bug/insect spray ..upon arrival at the cashier my buddy was placing the items on counter and pulled out wallet and as he was placing his card in the reader the cashier said she had made sure that we knew that she had given the veteran discount..(I was wearing a Army veteran ball cap) (buddy had no military clothing on ).. Thanked her but the purchase was for my buddy without asking for proof of veteran status but told her he was a Navy veteran if proof needed we could provide such which she replied "it was all good".... drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Took this a while ago at a book store. We're doomed.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Took this a while ago at a book store. We're doomed.

And even that wouldn't have saved the employees at Home Depot.

posted Hide Post
The best paying job that I ever got ,
I had to take a four page test to obtain.

13 others were there that day.
Three of us brought calculators to the test.

I got chosen out of the pack because I got nine more questions correct than the other fella's.

It was the only written test that I ever prevailed in.
I was pumped up / elated for three days.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bendable:
The best paying job that I ever got ,
I had to take a four page test to obtain.

13 others were there that day.
Three of us brought calculators to the test.

I got chosen out of the pack because I got nine more questions correct than the other fella's.

It was the only written test that I ever prevailed in.
I was pumped up / elated for three days.

Can people just ask Google math questions ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:

Roger that. Put in the expression into the search bar and hit the enter key.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:

Roger that. Put in the expression into the search bar and hit the enter key.

Siri does it just fine also.