SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gas station pending charges on credit cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas station pending charges on credit cards Login/Join 
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
The gas station we use the most around puts a $175 hold when you pay at the pump. I only use a credit card at the pump, never a debit card. I don't think the hold lasts more than a day though.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vette02:
Around here the pending charge has been there for years.
$100.00. Usually lasts for a day or two.
I’ve never seen it before and all the others just do the $1 active card check.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
The gas station we use the most around puts a $175 hold when you pay at the pump. I only use a credit card at the pump, never a debit card. I don't think the hold lasts more than a day though.
i never use a debit card at all.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cash is great if: they offer a cash discount (or credit card surcharge) otherwise I’m paying 2% more than everybody else (in the form of credit card cash back).

Also, I don’t always have time to stand in line behind some doofus redeeming 12 1$ scratch offs, buying 5 2$, 15 supper lotto, a pack of locked up cigarettes, oh can I use this wrinkled up third party check….

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
On a different note, I've noticed that some restaurants split up your payment into two different charges. The first charge that appears on your card is for the amount of the purchase.

Then that one goes away a couple of days later and a new one appears that's the amount of purchase plus the tip.

Seems odd to me and extra work that doesn't seem to have a lot of benefit for the restaurant.

i don't see it as extra work + i see it every week i have breakfast at the same place.

they ring up bill w/o tip.......when/if tip is added, it's added to the original charged amount.

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
quote:
On a different note, I've noticed that some restaurants split up your payment into two different charges. The first charge that appears on your card is for the amount of the purchase.

Then that one goes away a couple of days later and a new one appears that's the amount of purchase plus the tip.

Seems odd to me and extra work that doesn't seem to have a lot of benefit for the restaurant.

i don't see it as extra work + i see it every week i have breakfast at the same place.

they ring up bill w/o tip.......when/if tip is added, it's added to the original charged amount.

I see it as extra work as they cancel the first charge which was w/o tip and then process the second charge which is with tip.

But that's not a problem, just a curious thing as it only takes me 2 or 3 minutes to add the tip and sign the charge slip so I thought they would wait for that brief period of time.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see it as extra work as they cancel the first charge which was w/o tip and then process the second charge which is with tip.

In most cases their point-of-sale system is designed specifically for restaurants and there's no cancelling and "redoing", it's just designed to allow for addition of tip before releasing to processing bank in a batch.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

In most cases their point-of-sale system is designed specifically for restaurants and there's no cancelling and "redoing", it's just designed to allow for addition of tip before releasing to processing bank in a batch.

I don't think so as I've got my cell phone set up with the bank app that notifies me whenever there's been a charge on my card and I typically get it before the server brings my card back to the table.

Let's say the meal charge was $100.00. I get a notification on the phone that $100.00 was charged to my card by fly by night food inc.

Then the next day I get a notification that the $100.00 charge was cancelled and a new charge for $125.00 by fly by night food inc. has been made.

Maybe the software does it all by itself, I have no idea, but that's what I get.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
quote:

But that's not a problem, just a curious thing as it only takes me 2 or 3 minutes to add the tip and sign the charge slip so I thought they would wait for that brief period of time.

i'm not sure the 1st charge is manually cancelled!!

i'm given the bill at the table, no place to leave tip until they run thru cash register, without tip.
then i tap the card, sign the slip + add tip!!

posted Hide Post
I use CC at gas pumps. My problem was with servers. Several times, they've raised the tip by, for example, changing a 7 dollar tip to 17 dollars. The restaurants always made it good, but now I use cash only when eating out.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Out here there’s some that put a hold on $100 if you use a credit card. If you use a pin based debit there is no hold.

There’s a lot of pieces of shit in the world so it wouldn’t surprise me if people were getting a prepaid credit card for $5 and filling their cars up if it’s only authorizing for $1. It sucks, but unfortunately it’s the world we live in.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
For a long time the charge hold amount was $125, Visa recently raised the amount they allowed as a max to $175 in response to the super high gas prices we saw recently.

They allow the retailer to set that amount up to the maximum limit, it's most likely due to the average per transaction amount at that station and the price per gallon. Remember in some areas $6 to $7 a gallon existed, and you have people who fill up delivery trucks, boats and pickup at the same time, etc so the hold get set higher so people can fill up without hitting the hold max and stopping the pump.

I remember when gas was first hitting $4 to $5 that a local mobil had the limit at $100, you couldn't fill my pickup up because the limit was lower than the total cost of 24 gallons of gas so the pump shut down at the $100 limit of the pre-auth.

That's why it's $175, you never know as a station owner what the sale amount will be, and you can't sit there and say, "oh its' a Miata, the hold limit is $50, or a F450 Dually with dual tanks, Hold is $500...

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

I don't think so as I've got my cell phone set up with the bank app that notifies me whenever there's been a charge on my card and I typically get it before the server brings my card back to the table.

Let's say the meal charge was $100.00. I get a notification on the phone that $100.00 was charged to my card by fly by night food inc.

Then the next day I get a notification that the $100.00 charge was cancelled and a new charge for $125.00 by fly by night food inc. has been made.

Maybe the software does it all by itself, I have no idea, but that's what I get.

i pay at the counter! moments after the card is swiped for price w/o tip, i get a phone notification for that amount but don't receive any notification of the price change with tip, after i sign/add tip.

posted Hide Post
There tracking you because you have GUN.

Posts: 35 | Location: Marquette, Michigan 49855 | Registered: January 01, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post