SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I have finally had it with one of my neighbors...dog related.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have finally had it with one of my neighbors...dog related. Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
I have one neighbor who I have lived next to for 18 years and I can’t stand him as he has been annoying the entire time. While his kids were growing up he would scream and curse at them while in the backyard over stupid stuff. I could never imagine speaking to your child the way he did. He does it to his wife too.

Our HOA allows for no more than 3 animals. He has always had 3 dogs and sometimes more. For a while now he has 6 dogs. I love dogs, but these are very yapping dogs. I built a nice deck for me and my wife to sit out on and we can’t enjoy it. Within minutes of sitting on the deck or even me just going out to grill, the dogs go nuts and bark absolutely non-stop. They never come out to stop the dogs from barking. It is like living next to a dog pound. This is a normal neighborhood; not like out in the country.

So I have put up with the 6 dogs for quite a while now thinking it was temporary, but it does not appear to be so. I finally had it tonight while grilling dinner and decided to report him to the HOA. You can’t do an anonymous report, but they say they will not provide your information which I do not have faith in. I just can’t stand the neighbor or this situation. I hope I have not started something I will regret. Would you have done the same?

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would you have done the same?

Quite probably. Given his other behaviors, I don't think it would have done any good to talk to him.

Posts: 27922 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Hopefully we won’t have to deal with it much longer. We have bought land out in the country and need to meet with builders to get the ball rolling on moving out there. We won’t be able to see any of our neighbors once we move.

When I say this guy yells at his kids and wife, I mean yells like a lunatic at the top of his lungs berating them. It is crazy.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons HOA’s are around is to resolve situations like this. I’d have done the same.

Sure he may give you the stink eye, but it sounds like you’re past that anyway. Reporting it to the HOA maybe the least confrontational way to address the dogs/barking.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have jumped on that after the first hour

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Hopefully we won’t have to deal with it much longer. We have bought land out in the country and need to meet with builders to get the ball rolling on moving out there. We won’t be able to see any of our neighbors once we move.

When I say this guy yells at his kids and wife, I mean yells like a lunatic at the top of his lungs berating them. It is crazy.

The dogs and his volitilty could bite you when it’s selling time.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Underdog:
quote:

The dogs and his volitilty could bite you when it’s selling time.

Yeah I have thought about that. That is why I at least hope to get him to comply with the number of pets.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Our hoa has a two dog limit per home, check the bylaws, contact the city about rules for dogs, if he’s in violation report him there as well

Posts: 23375 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Pepper balls. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14033 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Invite the HOA pres over for a BBQ...the problem should solve itself w/o a need to report.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
HOA or not, there's nothing you can do about a neighbor like that. They're inconsiderate assholes and they'll remain inconsiderate assholes. All you can accomplish is exacerbating their level of assholery.

Have experienced it first hand Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have one neighbor who I have lived next to for 18 years and I can’t stand him as he has been annoying the entire time....

So I have put up with the 6 dogs for quite a while now thinking it was temporary, but it does not appear to be so. I finally had it tonight while grilling dinner and decided to report him to the HOA. You can’t do an anonymous report, but they say they will not provide your information which I do not have faith in. I just can’t stand the neighbor or this situation. I hope I have not started something I will regret. Would you have done the same?

I take it you didn't talk to him first, nicely? At least gave him a chance, before taking it to the next level of reporting.

Q

Posts: 26324 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
What the Q said.

I want a person to confront me face to face, and I'll do the same. Without malice, in the spirit of letting a person take advantage of the opportunity to deal with the issue.

Depending on the direction things go, I/they, know what next step to take.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43860 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try not to escalate. He can dirty up his property and make trouble for you selling yours

Posts: 1400 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
What the Q said.

I want a person to confront me face to face, and I'll do the same. Without malice, in the spirit of letting a person take advantage of the opportunity to deal with the issue.

Depending on the direction things go, I/they, know what next step to take.

I'd like to agree, if the other party is reasonable. Two things suggest he is not. The first is that jerkoff is in violation of the rules in the first place. IMO this is knowingly, not out of ignorance. The second is this:
quote:

This is not a reasonable person, but a bully. Who knows what he does to them behind closed doors. Especially if the OP is smaller than he, a confrontation could very well escalate to a shouting match, even violence. But then, it wouldn't take long for jerkoff to figure out who snitched, which might lead to retaliation.

I don't envy the OP one bit.

Posts: 27922 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My old subdivision is half acre lots and the surrounding areas are smaller residential lots. We are in town, not rural. I had a neighbor who would, during the dry season, burn trash and yard waste in a pit on the far corner of an empty lot he owned adjecent to his house. He would let the fires burning all night long without watching them or putting them out. The pit was a cabbage palm trunks arranged in a circle and as far as possible from his house. This placed it within 75 feet of my house and 150 feet from his. The wind would blow partial burned trash on my lawn. I talked to him three times.

The first time I was nice as possible and casual about it while asking if he could put them out before going to bed. He mentioned he didn't have a hose long enough to reach. The second time I brought a copy of the county ordinances pertaining to burning trash and yard waste. I pointed out a half a dozen ways he was in violation. Can't bring trash home from your business, can't be within 300 feet of a structure he didn't own, can only be done during certain daylight hours, must be monitored and able to extinguish, etc. I told him next time it happens, I'm getting video and calling the Fire Department. This time, he at least moved the pit so it was away from my house. He also put a couple plastic chairs next to the 8 foot diameter pit because campfires were exempt from the time restrictions.

The third time, I brought over the video of the fire burning all night long with no supervision until 9:00 the next morning and he proceed to swear at me and asked my to leave. I said I'd already talked to the fire marshal and would be calling him personally if it happened again.

The only thing I asked each time was for him to watch it and put it out before going to bed. The first two times he and then he and his wife said they weren't those kind of people and said they watched the fires and put them out. Their actions proved otherwise. We have weekly, free trash, recycle, and yard waste pickup. He escalated things from there overtly and I later found out covertly as well. He apologized about 4 years later and told me he had called the Sheriff's Department twice and Child welfare once. I would never have known because neither group ever talked to me.

We moved this year and couldn't be happier about it. If a neighbor puts my family in danger like this again, I'm going straight to what ever authorities would be appropriate. It just isn't worth the years we spent next to assholes to try the neighborly route.

Too many barking dogs? The guy knows it and doesn't care. Screw talking to him and report it. Both to the HOA and find out what the laws are on barking dogs. Around here, I believe it's an hour or more is against county noise ordinances.

Posts: 10902 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I take it you didn't talk to him first, nicely? At least gave him a chance, before taking it to the next level of reporting.

No, I didn’t. He has always had at least 3 dogs and when it went to 4 I thought it might be temporary. Now that he is at 6 dogs, I have had it and I really don’t think talking to him would do anything. If the HOA keeps their word and does not divulge who reported it, then it could be any of the homes next to or behind him who reported it.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes. Also get one of these Anti-Barking Devices

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

'While his kids were growing up he would scream and curse at them while in the backyard over stupid stuff. I could never imagine speaking to your child the way he did. He does it to his wife too."

This quote from the OP would suggest that "talking nicely" would accomplish exactly nothing. He is giving all the cues of just being a hothead. Why put yourself in the line of fire, so to speak, over that?

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Yes. Also get one of these Anti-Barking Devices

I tried one of those once and it didn’t do anything.