SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Local CVS Phone Tree Maze
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local CVS Phone Tree Maze Login/Join 
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted
Arghhh. My local CVS has made it impossible to get a pharmacist on the phone. I know they try to funnel customers to their website, and screen if all someone needs is basic info (hours, scrip status, etc.), but recently (within the past month) the only option to speak to a pharmacist is to leave a voicemail. "Leave a voicemail and get a call back in as little as an hour." Riiiiiight. It's been half a day now.

I have two scrips that are controlled (not painkillers). I can only get them filled on 30 day intervals. If I try on day 29, it's rejected, not even put into a queue to fill the next day. I travel a lot, which means I try to schedule travel where possible outside these windows, and I schedule travel a good ways in advance. Because of the stupid 30 day policy (particularly not being able to queue), and the non-portability of scrips (can't transfer to another pharmacy, even another CVS, easily, especially cross state lines), it makes filling them a complicated game.

There's probably nothing I can do about it, but it is definitely a rant!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3347 | Location: Grapevine TX/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes offering to pay cash is the solution

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My doc will send Rx to any pharmacy that I choose, or even give me a hard copy of the Rx so I can hand carry it to of my preferred pharmacy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I think CVS is the pharmaceutical sales division of AT&T, based on their shitty business practices. And Walgreens is Verizon.

Posts: 27149 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Even better CVS texts you to say your script is ready for pickup. Then you go the store and learn its been back-ordered. Sons a bitches.... Mad

Posts: 2190 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Why don’t you change your pharmacy?

The pharmacy in Ralph’s, my grocery store, is very responsive.

(Kroger stores are named Ralph’s here in San Diego)

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9410 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even as a medical practitioner ( often returning a call for consultation with the pharmacist) you have to go through layers of painful automated messages to get through, so you are not alone

Posts: 3368 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yeah, It would be so much easier if you wanted to download their Fv<#;^G app. Mad

Posts: 9383 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised a class action lawsuit against CVS hasn't been filed.

I have family members who have been notified that prescriptions are ready, only to find out that it isn't in stock when trying to pick it up.

I think they are doing this to show statistics that they are filling prescriptions in a timely manner, which they are certainly NOT doing.

The closest CVS to that family member is open 24 hours (including the pharmacy). As they don't have the ability to pick up on their own, I have made the trip several times. They've moved to getting most of the recurring prescriptions delivered by mail, but still have the occasional need to go in person for acute needs.

The next closest place is Walgreen's - the store is open 24 hours, but the pharmacy is only open until around 9PM. The pharmacy used to be open 24 hours as well. Now, the only 24-hour Walgreen's is about 25 miles away.

The last alternative is Costco - I'm thinking this might be their best choice in the future.

Posts: 2805 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getting a Pharmacist on an actual phone call? I cant imagine it. My Walgreens has its own waiting area with seating and its always SRO.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Not sure how that helps with the phone system.

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Getting a Pharmacist on an actual phone call? I cant imagine it.
<snip>

As I mentioned above, the pharmacy in my Ralph’s (Kroger) store is very responsive. And when I call I can speak to a pharmacist with a short wait. Often no wait.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9410 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Not sure how that helps with the phone system.
It doesn't.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I talked to the family member I mentioned earlier - she doesn't drive and uses a walker. Someone has to take her when she needs to pick up something. She once went in to talk to the pharmacist when not able to contact (you have to leave a message and wait for them to call back). She was informed that they want people to come in as it increases the chances that they will find and buy other things.

I've never liked the layout at CVS. Rite Aid was even worse with their aisles turned 45 degrees.

Posts: 2805 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
She was informed that they want people to come in as it increases the chances that they will find and buy other things.

Yep, The product you always bought in aisle 4 is now in aisle 88. They want you to walk through the store. I do make impulse buys though, that bag of Reece cups looks mighty good.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Two pharmacy chains that I have found to minimum bullshit and lowest cost are Publix* and Costco.
*Many common Rx meds are free at Publix, even without insurance.

I did have one really bad experience at a Publix location: the pharmacist who thought that she knew more than my prescribing doctor. Conversations with other people seem to indicate that this is a trait that is not uncommon with her particular demographic. I circumvent this problem by using a different Publix pharmacy location.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Two pharmacy chains that I have found to minimum bullshit and lowest cost are Publix* and Costco.
*Many common Rx meds are free at Publix, even without insurance.

Same here Publix and Costco, the Costco is for controlled items Costco is better, Publix has some company rules of issuing 30 days of pills on a 90 day script, it's a PIA having to go back every month, Costco doesn't have these rules so I moved those scripts there and get 90 days worth.

Check with other pharmacies in the area to see if they force a 30 day refill on controlled or not for the script you have, also see if your insurance has a mail order refill that will do the 90 days, then dump the local pharmacy.

Wife had a few at CVS and wouldn't move them, a PIA from the stand point of being another place to have to go, finally when they closed that location I got her to move it to Publix and it's better since we are there at least 1 time a week shopping.

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only pharmacy I use that is quick to fill answer phones with real people on them, and quick in and out is the tiny retail pharmacy in my hospital. We are a small ( about 90 bed level IV trauma) community hospital. The pharmacy is about the size of a walk in closet, no extra fluff stuff for sale, just medications. The entire otc section is two 6 footfall book shelves. When I need something I can usually get it within 30 minutes from RX sent to dispensed.
When I am discharging my hospital patients, sending all RX to the hospital pharmacy makes things so much better. Patients have med# in hand befor3 they go home. No stopping at an outside establishment, and ever since Covid lots of pharmacies have been having supply chain issues, sending me requests to substitute for my usual items I prescribe due to out of stock problems.

Posts: 3368 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post