SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Moving Suuuuuuuuucks.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving Suuuuuuuuucks. Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
When we moved into our current house in late 2015, I swore it would be the LAST time I'd move! The previous two homes were simply overcome with my wife's messiness and hoarding, and were a total nightmare to get moved. When moving from our last house into this one, she promised it would never get like the last two. Well, it only took about a year before this place became unbearable!

Honestly, some days I just want to pack my shit and leave for good, and let her live out her days in this pile of rubbish!

Speaking of moving, I really want to get out of this small city I live in (Madison, AL; a "suburb" of Huntsville) as the traffic and everything has become unbearable the past few years. There is a lovely little (and I do mean little) country town called Elkmont, AL about 30 minutes or so from here that I really want to move to. The other day the wifey mentioned selling this place and moving there; I was almost excited about the prospect, except that the hoarding and messiness would just follow me to the country! Frown

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife is a hoarder.
I will leave in a couple of years and it will be her problem then .

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Lucky for me my wifes the opposite, doesn't like clutter, doesn't pack stuff away, I do tend to keep boxes for some things I've bought longer than I should. Eventually though they get scrapped.

Older I get the less shidt I want around...

Posts: 23425 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
My Mom wasn’t a hoarder, but wouldn’t throw anything away because ‘you might find a use for it someday’. Roll Eyes

When she couldn’t live on her own anymore, we rented a dumpster, took the glass out of her big front picture window, and just threw all that crap away.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to watch Hoarders, it was really sad. It was obvious that the problem was mental illness, everyone can see that except the hoarder. We're all probably guilty of hanging onto too much stuff, me included. What I couldn't understand is why they wouldn't throw away trash. Then their mental illness would cause them to lose their job. Then no money for trash pickup, or home repairs. Then things would really snowball.

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kept Bum
posted Hide Post
I moved in '87, no problem had a pickup with clothes, guns, tools, fishing equip. She kept everything else, piece of cake. Glad I did.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth.".....Chief Joseph

https://pbase.com/shellyva/image/171613535

Posts: 88 | Location: Out there, somewhere | Registered: May 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Lots of folks from the depression had hard times giving things up, throwing things away, since it was so hard to get anything at all.

Dempanic is going to create a shitton more of these folks, only we'll find Amazon boxes filled with crap vs Sears and Roebuck...

Posts: 23425 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
You are correct, and if you have to move a hoarders stash it’s probably quite the hell-show.

I have move 7 times in my adult life and it never went smoothly (mostly due to my poor planning and procrastinating). Last time I moved was in 2008, if I ever do it again professional movers will be utilized.

Posts: 3145 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My FIL was a borderline hoarder, as in on the low-end of the spectrum (if there is one). He died suddenly in Dec 2019. But he had a big house with 3 floors and a semi-basement. Being 1.5 miles away, my wife (and thus me) put in the lions share of going through shit and tossing and shredding.

He had about 100 bankers boxes of papers going back into the 50s (e.g., car repair receipts for cars they owned in the 70s). Had to go through ALL of them... Maybe 20 of the boxes needed to be shredded as they can personal/financial info. In the end, there was maybe 3-4 boxes of papers kept. Oh yeah, MOST of the boxes were in the attic and had to be hauled down 3 flights of steps. Ugh. And that's just one example. My wife TRIED and failed hard to get FIL to deal with any of it, he said, in effect (or literally), "you can deal with it when I'm gone." Well guess what, that's a sucky task that took hundreds of hours when it should have been dozens.

My Mon passed in Sept 2019 and my Dad in late 2015. They had maybe 10 boxes of papers, probably less. Much less STUFF.

It has inspired my wife and I to not stick our kids with a lifetime of accumulated stuff, most of which goes to the landfill.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
If given the choice I would rather move clear across the country to the opposite coast than across town. ..................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Lots of folks from the depression had hard times giving things up, throwing things away, since it was so hard to get anything at all.

Dempanic is going to create a shitton more of these folks, only we'll find Amazon boxes filled with crap vs Sears and Roebuck...

Wife came home from Costco yesterday. Said they’ve put a toilet paper limit back in place. She said we didn’t need it, but got two cases because of the new restrictions. We will need a semi trailer to move our toilet paper stash if we ever move again. Ammo on the bottom, TP on top. Gotta ballast the load properly.

Yea, the scamdemic is making hoarders out of normally sane people, just like the 1930s.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was helping to move a GF several years ago. She had several boxes of assorted paperwork dating back some 40 years.

So, she and I began shredding paperwork. At first, we broke two small shredders, then we jammed a large cross cut machine which was replaced under warranty. It took us three weeks of shredding and bagging.

Then, she tells me, she can't find her Divorce papers or her second marriage papers.

All I could say to her was, oops.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post