SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Power plug and transformers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power plug and transformers Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Many electronics products have AC cords that have a transformer built in. Some at the plug, some in the middle of the cord.

There are power strips that are vertically aligned. Others that are horizontally aligned. Some power cords with the transformer built into the plug take up one slot. Others are wider (and cover 2+ slots of horizontally aligned power strips); others still are longer (and cover 2+ slots of vertically aligned power strips).

Seriously? Globally we can't standardize on this shit?

Or perhaps would may be nice is to have a power strip that also acts as multiple level transformer. You plug in the electronics cord using some small universal plug into the transformer power strip which is plugged into an AC outlet.

Drives me crazy that there is no standard for this and every time I buy new electronics, I have to mess w/ power strips to accommodate some new wide or long transformer AC plug.

BTW, all the power strips on Prime seem like made in prc crap and fire hazards. Trying to find made in usa/eu/japan power strips.

Fuck PRC - they can't even make a simple thing like a power strip without creating a fire hazard?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Drives me crazy that there is no standard for this and every time I buy new electronics, I have to mess w/ power strips to accommodate some new wide or long transformer AC plug.

Instead of power strips, invest in some power squids to solve this.

For example:

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
I've used short cord extenders to deal with various shaped wall-warts so I don't have to fiddle with replacing or rearranging power strips. These are what I've used:

Bezos-Mart linky

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Rogue and Audio ^^^^^^^^

Thanks! That's EXACTLY what I've been needing to neaten up and reorganize my ham radio shack!!!

As Elvis said, Thangya Vera Much !!!!!

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My late father would have a fit if he saw some of our set-ups... looks like 15 things plugged into one outlet. Each one draws a pittance, and you end up with a smaller load than a 100W bulb.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Power squids! Interesting! I'll look them up - hopefully some are made other than PRC.

ETA: ordered. Thanks again! Half the battle is knowing something exists. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:

I've used short cord extenders to deal with various shaped wall-warts so I don't have to fiddle with replacing or rearranging power strips. These are what I've used:

Bezos-Mart linky
Monoprice has them, too.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:

Bezos-Mart linky
Monoprice has them, too.
The OP was concerned about Chinese made products . These are Chinese .Good luck finding one that is not .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I guess I overlooked the Chinese reference. I, too, try to avoid buying Chinese stuff when practical (except for egg rolls).

I have a small mom-and-pop business; a fleet of around 100 carpet cleaners ("steam cleaners"), that I supply to hardware stores that act as my rental agents, for rent by do-it-yourself end users. Sort of like the Rug Doctor business model.

When I first started doing this, at the turn of the century, I was plagued by a power cord problem. Many of the rental customers are in older homes that have two-wire outlets. These people would take a pair of pliers and yank the ground pin out of the plug on the end of our cord. I was replacing several power cords each month. The factory that made the machines was using power cords from the low bidder, in China.

I did a bit of homework and found a U.S. manufacturer of power cords in Pennsylvania: Kord King. I called and spoke with the owner, explained my problem, and he sent me a sample. I tried hard to destroy the sample and it really stood up to abuse.

Kord King manufactured a bunch to my specs, no extra charge for custom touches like staggering the lengths of the conductors where they connected to a terminal block inside the machine with half-inch offsets, no upcharge for terminating the conductors with appropriate connectors for the terminal block. We upgraded the fleet, and these have been on the rental machines for well over fifteen years. I have replaced fewer in a year, than I used to replace in a month back when we had the cheap Chinese crap power cords, and none of the replacements has been for a pulled ground pin. Mostly for things like chewed up power cords with doggie tooth marks.

Highly recommended American-made product!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I guess I overlooked the Chinese reference. I, too, try to avoid buying Chinese stuff when practical (except for egg rolls).

I have a small mom-and-pop business; a fleet of around 100 carpet cleaners ("steam cleaners"), that I supply to hardware stores that act as my rental agents, for rent by do-it-yourself end users. Sort of like the Rug Doctor business model.

When I first started doing this, at the turn of the century, I was plagued by a power cord problem. Many of the rental customers are in older homes that have two-wire outlets. These people would take a pair of pliers and yank the ground pin out of the plug on the end of our cord. I was replacing several power cords each month. The factory that made the machines was using power cords from the low bidder, in China.

I did a bit of homework and found a U.S. manufacturer of power cords in Pennsylvania: Kord King. I called and spoke with the owner, explained my problem, and he sent me a sample. I tried hard to destroy the sample and it really stood up to abuse.

Kord King manufactured a bunch to my specs, no extra charge for custom touches like staggering the lengths of the conductors where they connected to a terminal block inside the machine with half-inch offsets, no upcharge for terminating the conductors with appropriate connectors for the terminal block. We upgraded the fleet, and these have been on the rental machines for well over fifteen years. I have replaced fewer in a year, than I used to replace in a month back when we had the cheap Chinese crap power cords, and none of the replacements has been for a pulled ground pin. Mostly for things like chewed up power cords with doggie tooth marks.

Highly recommended American-made product!
I just checked their website and the only downside is that they have minimums for number of purchase .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just checked their website and the only downside is that they have minimums for number of purchase .
It was a while ago, but I think that my order for the custom stuff was a few hundred.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים