SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My neighbor is moving
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My neighbor is moving Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
My neighbor across the street is moving. He's been loading stuff onto trucks and trailers all week.

This guy has lived there for several years...the way time goes by it may even be as many as ten. He's not particularly mechanically inclined, his grass is usually pretty tall, and he has some weird habits like grilling his steak on a charcoal grill in the driveway with one of those brush-clearing flamethrowers instead of actually lighting the charcoal. But he's quiet, keeps to himself, and doesn't cause any drama...the best kind of neighbor. I don't even know his name, but I'm going to miss him Frown.

Posts: 9164 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
and he has some weird habits like grilling his steak on a charcoal grill in the driveway with one of those brush-clearing flamethrowers instead of actually lighting the charcoal

Wait, you mean he uses the propane torch directly on the meat? Confused

I use a propane torch (similar to a weed burner) to light the lump charcoal in the bottom of my egg, but I do the actual cooking over the lit coals later, after giving it time to come up to temp. The torch is quicker and easier than using a charcoal chimney.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wait, you mean he uses the propane torch directly on the meat?

Yes. He stands there and blasts that thing with the torch until it's "done". Never lights the coals. I'm not even sure if there are any in there. You can always tell when he's grilling because you can hear that propane torch going at full blast for like 5-10 minutes straight, lol.

Like I said...kinda odd, but it's his dinner and if that's how he wants to cook it more power to him!

Posts: 9164 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Well bless his heart...

BTW, your last sentence in the OP reminded me of this Ron Swanson quote. Big Grin

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
If I'm channeling Ron Swanson, then I'm living right Big Grin.

Coincidentally, I work for a small town in Indiana, just like "Pawnee" from Parks and Rec. It's disturbing how much that show can mirror real life in small town politics, and sometimes other ways. It's almost more of a documentary than a comedy. A couple of years ago, I was driving by our street department and somebody had set up a little corral in the strip of grass out by the sidewalk, and there was a miniature horse in there. Apparently we even have our own "Little Sebastian" Big Grin.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Adios neighor dude

I can go years without knowing someones name at work, usually work in close proximity with about 30 people. Also usually don't notice when someone is gone for a while, a benefit of working alone for the most part and no one knows how to do my job

Posts: 5509 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He lives across the street and you don't know his name??

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
He lives across the street and you don't know his name??
I don't know the names of half the people who live within a three minute walk of my house.

My wife, on the other hand, knows the name of every doggie on the street and they all run to greet her when they see her outside. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31340 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I lived with people in their house, and I can't tell you some of their names.

(21 different homes before I was seven)

Saved a bunch of money on greeting cards over the years...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44405 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Had a neighbor across the street for 17 years and never knew his name. My neighbor to the east of me has chatted with me 4 times in 22 years. They didn't seem to mind and I didn't either. To the west next door was a revolving door of renters until last year and we had the new neighbor over for Thanksgiving. Now I get along with the two new neighbors across the street. We chat and look after each others property. To each their own.

Posts: 5745 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shouldn't have said anything. Bought this house 30 years ago. I knew probably 20 neighbors, had block parties, cookouts. Most have moved away, I'm still here. The couple across the street, they are 20 years younger but she's in poor health I keep an eye out for them. A phone call and I'm across the street in 30 seconds.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I know most of my neighbors that aren't transient renters, but not this guy. His last name is on his mailbox, but beyond that I know nothing about him, including his first name. He's just not sociable. We wave when we see each other, which isn't all that often, but he's just not talkative and that's ok by me. Like I said, not a bad dude, just keeps to himself and does his own thing. I can respect and appreciate that.

I would take 100 of him over the lady on the other corner who's adult son moved in after he got out of prison and got into several domestics with his baby-momma outside in the street before parole finally violated him and he got sent back. Or the renters behind us that used to burn trash and fill our house with garbage smoke before they left it smouldering one night and the wind blew it into their garage and burned the house up. The landlord ended up fixing that place up (slapped a metal roof over the charred rafters Eek) and the dude who moved in has been pretty decent. Older biker guy who doesn't burn trash and keeps to himself.

It's a great neighborhood Big Grin.

posted Hide Post
Swing by the Costco, and get him a big ole apple pie .

Offer it to him and tell him your first name and say thanks for being a good neighbor ,
And wish him a heartfelt best wishes in his future endeavors.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55139 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been in my house for 25 years. Most of the neighbors I have met I have no interest in being social with for one reason or another. May your new neighbor be just as nice.

Posts: 1149 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
20 yrs in this place, I know my next door neighbor well enough. I introduce myself as an introvert, and honestly don’t expect me to start random conversation.

7 of the 9 houses on this block seem to be like minded. We all get along great!

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5232 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Same here.

The couple across the street are the only ones I know well enough to chat with occasionally. The guy one door down from them goes for walks once or twice a day; so, since I see him pretty regularly as I'm coming or going, I slow down and say "Hello". The couple next door I'll wave to if I see them, but don't even know their names.

A few years back, we lived in another neighborhood that had several Karens and lots of drama. Some of those folks would actually have meetings to discuss the neighbors they didn't like. I was one of the folks on their shitlist because my I didn't mow my lawn often enough to suit them.

We've been in this house for 10 years now and I really like that people keep to themselves and mind their own business.

Posts: 6557 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Shoot him again.

I only read the thread title.

OK, now I read the rest of the thread. I don’t see a problem using the propane weed torch flame thrower to cook a steak. I have one and I’m a little disappointed I didn’t think of that.

I know some of my neighbors, but my wife and I are at different stages of our life than most of the neighbors. They’re mostly retired empty nesters while we have four years to go on that.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've never been one to just go up and start talking to complete strangers. I've been in this house for a year and a half now and I've actually talked to 3 neighbors. I'd been here 6 months and talked to nobody, then the retired couple next door were having a yard sale so I walked over and introduced myself. He comes over now and then just to say Hi, his wife is wheelchair bound (stroke) so I don't see her much. Then there's the older gal who lives alone 2 doors down the other direction. Nice old lady. Her dog and mine bark at each other several times a day. And one guy down the street a bit who was out one evening last winter with his yard tractor with a blade on it, plowing the snow off the sidewalks and clearing traffic lanes, piling all the snow down the middle of the street. I walked outside and said Hi and thanked him. Nice enough guy, we wave when we see each other. Other than that I don't really talk to any of my neighbors. My dog now, he talks to all the other dogs in the neighborhood frequently. Gets to be a regular chorus sometimes.

Posts: 7386 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I know everybody on the block. What they do, what their politics are, choice of drink, etc etc. New people moved into a house 4 doors down after the neighbors of 28 years moved out (divorce) and I was helping them do plumbing the first day.

I want to know who I can trust and who I can't.

Posts: 1947 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
and he has some weird habits like grilling his steak on a charcoal grill in the driveway with one of those brush-clearing flamethrowers instead of actually lighting the charcoal

Wait, you mean he uses the propane torch directly on the meat? Confused

I use a propane torch (similar to a weed burner) to light the lump charcoal in the bottom of my egg, but I do the actual cooking over the lit coals later, after giving it time to come up to temp. The torch is quicker and easier than using a charcoal chimney.

He could be cooking Sous vide which cooks the meat in hot water to the right internal temperature but leaves the outside looking unappetizing.

After the meat is cooked, you can then use a Su-V gun to put a sear on the meat very fast. I use one after I smoke my steaks as it's faster to sear than cranking the smoker to a temperature high enough to sear.

You also can use the grill gun to start charcoals or do creme brulee.

Su-V Gun

Thanks, Paten!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rey HRH,

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19992 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post