SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Recliner shopping
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recliner shopping Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
This coming Thursday I am having shoulder surgery for a torn rotator cuff. I fell on the ice early February and have been waiting to get the surgery done since. I have 2 leather couches each with a recliner on each end, but thought a single recliner with two arm rests would be better. I really should have decided sooner to buy a recliner, but was on the fence about it.
Yesterday we went to a furniture store where there was an ample selection to chose from. Okay, I'll take this model; not in stock. Okay how about this model? None are in stock, salesman said 22 weeks for delivery??? The reason? A ship got stuck in the Panama Canal and blocked up shipping for a few days so all the ships have to go down and around South America. Was he thinking the close of the Suez canal? I guess they got tired of saying Covid is the reason for the delay. They also would not sell floor models. According to my doctor I will most likely spend 6-8 weeks sleeping in a recliner.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
If you don't object to a used recliner, there appears to be many available at least in the DC region.

Try typing in used recliner, see what you get. In fact you might luck out and find a new one. Is there a Big Lots near you? Thrift stores?

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I ran into the same thing last July when trying to buy furniture for my new house. I ended up ordering furniture online from www.abt.com and having it delivered.

You can sort by In Stock Recliners, like so: https://www.abt.com/Recliners/...ers[222][0]=In+Stock

It comes down to the same story as most other manufactured items... Low supply due to backlog in orders from factory shutdowns last year, supply chain issues, lack of skilled workers, etc. Applies to a wide variety of products, from electronics to appliances to furniture to home construction materials to bicycles, and on and on.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had rotator cuff surgery March 18. What a pain trying to find a good position to sit. My wife switched sides of the love seat recliner with me because my arm hitting the arm of the chair was very uncomfortable. I found sitting with my arm hanging in the sling was much better. Good luck to you rt.
PS. Keep up with your pain meds and PT when you get there.

Fan of Sig, Colt, S&W, Beretta, Browning, etc, etc.

Posts: 168 | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I remember the good old days when so much furniture was made in the Carolinas. Furniture stores used to say in their commercials that the item being promoted was made in North or South Carolina and thus quality.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Try Costco. We’re using 2 Barcalounger recliners from there. We like ‘em. They were substantially cheaper (by nearly half) than any furniture store we checked for similar chairs, and Costco has an excellent warranty policy.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
arfmel -- Did you find those in the store, or was it an online order from Costco?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Did you try La-Z-Boy? They've got some great stuff.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The entire furniture industry is in complete disarray right now with huge backorders and delays. You almost have to buy a floor model or something from the discount section in order to walk away with some thing that day and not months and months down the road.

Posts: 33754 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I had thought about the one Costco is advertising but they only have it online and I couldn't sit in it to see how comfortable it was. Today, we hit up 3 stores and bought a recliner that also lifts you up to get out of it instead of wiggling back and forth trying to pull yourself out of it.
The salesman lives in my neighborhood and will get it to me on Wednesday. Funny thing, or not so funny, they had a nice recliner that a woman had bought on Thursday as she was having rotator cuff surgery on Friday. Her sister called Saturday and cancelled because the woman developed a blot clot and died on Saturday. No way I was going to buy that one even with a big discount.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my experience, manual La-Z-Boy recliners of recent manufacture are shit. We had a pair for two years, had to repair the mechanism a half dozen times. A small ratchet device was at fault. The last time I complained, the manager gave me 6 of the ratchets is I could do the repairs myself. Fortunately, they broke down conveniently and were easy to drag to the curb. Ended up with one like you describe.

I had shoulder issues once. I ended up on a pillow search, and found one perfect to support my off-arm side. It was also easy to remove when healed so as to resume snuggling activity.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
In my experience, manual La-Z-Boy recliners of recent manufacture are shit. We had a pair for two years, had to repair the mechanism a half dozen times. A small ratchet device was at fault. The last time I complained, the manager gave me 6 of the ratchets is I could do the repairs myself. Fortunately, they broke down conveniently and were easy to drag to the curb. Ended up with one like you describe.

Gotta be a recent problem with manufacture as I've got one that's well over 25 years old and another that's around 5 years old and they're both like new.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I spend most of my days in a Laziboy. Its the height of lazyness. Its what we call a power recliner. Its almost great, but not quite. Its slow like ice in winter. When someone wants me out and up, they need to plan well in advance. Its comfortable enough, just slow to move upright. Real slow. But I don't have anything else to do so I wait on the mechanism to do its thing. It the house catches fire, I'm a goner.

I do like the fact that the foot rest goes up pretty high. I don't like the idea that I could lose the control unit. If I had it to do over, I'd do it again in a minute. About how long it takes to get me upright.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
If you ain't gliding or reclining in a Flex Steel you are missing out.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
They are shuttering some of their plants. Are thye going out of business?

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
This coming Thursday I am having shoulder surgery for a torn rotator cuff. I fell on the ice early February and have been waiting to get the surgery done since. I have 2 leather couches each with a recliner on each end, but thought a single recliner with two arm rests would be better. I really should have decided sooner to buy a recliner, but was on the fence about it.
Yesterday we went to a furniture store where there was an ample selection to chose from. Okay, I'll take this model; not in stock. Okay how about this model? None are in stock, salesman said 22 weeks for delivery??? The reason? A ship got stuck in the Panama Canal and blocked up shipping for a few days so all the ships have to go down and around South America. Was he thinking the close of the Suez canal? I guess they got tired of saying Covid is the reason for the delay. They also would not sell floor models. According to my doctor I will most likely spend 6-8 weeks sleeping in a recliner.

Don't have any recliner suggestions but will be thinking about you on Thursday and hope everything goes well.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
arfmel -- Did you find those in the store, or was it an online order from Costco?

They were on hand in the nearby Costco.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:

The salesman lives in my neighborhood and will get it to me on Wednesday.

Glad to hear you found one.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I have a powered Lazy Boy that I purchased used 2 years ago. The leg rest and the back move independently and I really like that.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you found yours and good luck with the surgery.

My wife had shoulder surgery a couple of years ago. If anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation another option is renting a recliner lift assist chair from a medical supply company, which is what we did. We didn't have room to add a recliner on a permanent basis.

Posts: 549 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post