SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hot water heaters (my turn to cry)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hot water heaters (my turn to cry) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
quote:
Originally posted by BoatsNbullets:
Why are you heating hot water?

Never gets old. Roll Eyes
Yes , it does .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Why no teflon tape on the anode rod?

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I was always told that the Teflon could reduce the connection to the anode rod defeating the purpose of it.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
I was always told that the Teflon could reduce the connection to the anode rod defeating the purpose of it.

This. You want good electrical contact and Teflon is an insulator. Plus, you apparently need to tighten these things with a 6' long wrench, so I'd imagine Teflon tape wouldn't be needed to get a seal. Mine was NOT fun to get off the first time.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Mine that was installed 7 years ago sprung a leak earlier this year, and getting someone to install it was not an option due to cost. I bought a Rheem at Home Depot and did it myself in about 2 hours. The hardest part was lifting it into the drain pan by myself! I replaced the inlet lines with braided flex hoses and rigged up a new drain line with cheap plastic lines (can't remember if they were PVC or something else).

About a day later I found water in the drain pan and figured it was leaking already and was thoroughly pissed! Luckily it was just moisture from condensation between the inner tank and the insulation and it quit dripping a day or so later and has been fine ever since. Reading through the manual this "issue" was mentioned briefly, so since it is still working fine without leaking, I can only assume that was the problem.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you ever ask a question, then go "D'oh" when you were told the answer?

Wink

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The real questions is: Have you removed that teflon tape from around your anode yet? Big Grin

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ummmmmm...... in about a week and a half! I was actually going to replace it then. Note to self: do not re-install new one with teflon tape.

- Dave Barry

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BoatsNbullets:
Why are you heating hot water?

Don't water heaters maintain temps to the setting of the thermostat when there is no demand for hot water?

If so then water heaters do heat hot water, maybe not fully hot, more like warm/hot, they don't let the existing unused water go ice cold before warming it up like an on demand water heater.

They are water heaters, but they do in fact keep water hot most of the time...

and, Chili can have beans in it and still be Chili....

Posts: 23402 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
Why offer a 15yr warranty knowing that you have a 3 year sacrificial part that you cant replace? Mad

Because part of the warranty includes regular maintenance being done.....
It was more likely stupidity on some ones part, but I wouldn't doubt someone has had a warranty claim denied due to not replacing the inaccessible anode.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post