SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Anti-Rant: A benefit of being retired
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anti-Rant: A benefit of being retired Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Being old and retired means A) I have my own shop, and B) There are no kids around, therefore C) I'm the only one that uses it.

That means I can take something complex apart, lay it out in exploded view on my bench, come back to it hours, days or weeks later, AND IT'S STILL THERE, JUST LIKE I LEFT IT!

Whadda concept...

That goes for tools too. Feckin' Brilliant!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15253 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Being old and retired means A) I have my own shop, and B) There are no kids around, therefore C) I'm the only one that uses it.

That means I can take something complex apart, lay it out in exploded view on my bench, come back to it hours, days or weeks later, AND IT'S STILL THERE, JUST LIKE I LEFT IT!

Whadda concept...

As long as it doesn't leave your shop . When you hear " Dad , do you have a .....?" If they borrow something , you'll have to go get it if you want it back .

Posts: 4064 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Whadda concept...

Yeah my problem is remembering what I was doing and why, as well as thinking about "how did that come apart?", then going to utoob to see the instructions.

BTW, take the old TV out to the shop, put an Amazon Fire Stick or ROKU box on it, you can have your netflix, but also put utoob app on it, then you'll have a big screen for instructions on repairs n such, with one of the newer firesticks you can turn the tv on and off with Amazons remote and work the volume too...

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just wait till you come inside from the shop or garage to take a leak then can't remember what you were doing when you go back. Confused

Posts: 22927 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
What about the gremlins?

Many years ago as a young lad, I was home by myself working on my bicycle in the garage. I went to grab the wrench I had just set down, but it was gone. I moved the cars out, swept the floor, got down on my hands and knees with a flashlight shining across the floor and it just was not there. I gave up, went into the basement to get another wrench. When I walked back into the garage, the original wrench was sitting right there where I has left it.

Good luck with the gremlins.

Posts: 10976 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Yeah my problem is remembering what I was doing and why, as well as thinking about "how did that come apart?", then going to utoob to see the instructions.

BTW, take the old TV out to the shop, put an Amazon Fire Stick or ROKU box on it, you can have your netflix, but also put utoob app on it, then you'll have a big screen for instructions on repairs n such, with one of the newer firesticks you can turn the tv on and off with Amazons remote and work the volume too...

Shop is 100-ish yards from my wireless modem. Don't thing the signal will reach.

Am thinking about getting a cheapo laptop and maybe a signal booster?

Posts: 15253 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Of course it's still there just like you left it. You can't remember how to put it back together now. Wink

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Of course it's still there just like you left it. You can't remember how to put it back together now. Wink

Of course I can.

Eventually.

Usually...

(I took lots of pictures on my phone, emailed them to my computer and printed out enlargements.)

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
What about the gremlins?

Many years ago...

It's ghosts for me.

Happens every time no matter where I live.

Posts: 13132 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I'm old and retired and still have 10 mm tools grow legs. What's up with that?

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm creeping up to 69 next month and everyday lately I seriously am contemplating retiring in the spring. I have a workbench that right now is in shambles, but I know where everything is. Problem is, I work 50 hrs. a week and the weekend always seems to be range-time so it doesn't get touched!

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done this at our 2nd home a couple times. Spread it all out like an exploded view. Come back a month or 2 later and I'm thinking "what the hell is this"...before sort of remembering and also that I never ordered the replacement part I need to make it operate either. LOL

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:

I'm old and retired and still have 10 mm tools grow legs. What's up with that?
I used to have a 10mm socket.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30704 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Regardless, I too am thrilled when I can leave out disassembled guns while I choose when to come back to the cleaning. The arrangement on the bench helps to remind me where I left off Smile

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2011 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
What about the gremlins?

Many years ago as a young lad, I was home by myself working on my bicycle in the garage. I went to grab the wrench I had just set down, but it was gone. I moved the cars out, swept the floor, got down on my hands and knees with a flashlight shining across the floor and it just was not there. I gave up, went into the basement to get another wrench. When I walked back into the garage, the original wrench was sitting right there where I has left it.

Good luck with the gremlins.

Friends think I'm joking when I say it is the aliens messing with us... but a good part of me believes it is absolutely true. they've gotten bored just watching us and are now messing with us.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Paul, I'm sensing a new TV show.

"This Olde Shoppe" on PBS.

Posts: 11858 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Shop is 100-ish yards from my wireless modem. Don't thing the signal will reach.

Am thinking about getting a cheapo laptop and maybe a signal booster?

Theres some threads here about getting signals from a house to a shop/garage/barn some kinds of booster/repeater thingys.

IF you can boost it to a laptop you can boost it to a TV too...

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
This past summer in Michigan, I set up a 5GHz wireless bridge between our house and my parents’ house. The houses are 700+’ apart with some trees in between. Just to try it out, I set the one antenna up in the basement of my parents’ house pointing out the tiny basement window towards the antenna in our basement pointing out the same kind of window. Even under these way less than ideal conditions, the connection was solid and around 250mbps.

It was $150 for the pair. Getting internet to your shop from your house would not be a problem.

Posts: 10976 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
IT'S STILL THERE, JUST LIKE I LEFT IT

I'm guessing no cats in the PHPaul shop environment? Smile

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
IT'S STILL THERE, JUST LIKE I LEFT IT

I'm guessing no cats in the PHPaul shop environment? Smile

No cats anywhere on the place, which is a shame. Mrs. PHPaul is allergic to pet hair/dander so dogs/cats/pets are a thing of the past. Frown