SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ford & Ford Dealerships
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford & Ford Dealerships Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted
We have a 2016 Exploder. Bought it in 2017. It's been a nice vehicle to drive. When it will drive.

Right now it's in the shop for the 3rd time since we bought it. The transmission has gone bad. Again.

The first time they "repaired it" - it was shifting with a "bang" into reverse - was 2018. The second time they "rebuilt" it (Ford would not allow them to replace it) because it wouldn't shift between 2nd and 3rd at all - was in 2020.

Now it sits at the dealer ship for the next THREE weeks while it waits for a slot to get into the repair shop. We are back to "shifts into reverse with a 'bang'"

With both of us working from home now and new-to-us Jeep wrangler in the driveway, it's not much of an inconvenience to us. I'm just annoyed that it's going to take 3 weeks for them to even begin working on it. That's a lot of cars with transmission problems ahead of us in line!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Wow, first I've heard of that one.
7 V6/6AT FWD/AWD Fords that I know personally (2 Flex, 2 Explorer, 3 Edge) & no trans problems here.

Hope you get it resolved.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I'll trade my FCA POS for your Ford and let you deal with the dealerships for the warranty work.

Most recently, took it in on June 18 for an A/C problem (diagnosis = leaking evap coil). Picked it up once and took it back days later b/c the "new" evap coil was apparently bad. Just got it back this Monday (8/22) repaired correctly... except that half way home, the engine started overheating, and after limping it back to them a mile at a time to keep the temp under 245 or so, it took them another 4 hours (while I was sitting there waiting) to find a clamp they hadn't properly tightened and drain/fill the system.

Oh, and the interior paneling is now f'ed up and there's a rattle from my steering column that didn't used to be there before they had to disassemble the dash (the second time).

Hope you get yours back in good condition.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I had a 2008 Explorer. Before it hit 100k I’d replaced the water pump, radiator and thermostat housing. I also replaced the harmonic dampener after it tore itself apart one day and I had to have have the transmission rebuilt for multiple issues, including the hard shift into reverse like you mention. Oh and the lever that controlled the vent position for the heat and A/C broke so the air only blew up towards the windshield like it was on defrost. That was areal PITA to fix. There was also an electrical issue nobody was able to find so that was fun. That’s in addition of course to all the normal maintenance. One might argue that I got a lemon, but after looking online every issue I had was common. The damn truck was filled with cheap plastic parts that kept braking.

Good to see the Explorer still sucks.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Dealership service departments nationwide are packed, people are keeping cars longer and with high prices to buy, they are servicing them.

Top that with parts shortages, if you don't have the parts to build them, you can't fix them, getting replacement parts is a problem, top it with labor issues, finding qualified technicians to hire is a problem.

If it's not under warranty, and you have a three week wait, is there a reliable Transmission repair service in your area and take it to them

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must intrude and say I hate ford and they made a gay raptor.

Posts: 662 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it's not under warranty, and you have a three week wait, is there a reliable Transmission repair service in your area and take it to them

We're under the extended warranty. Worth it now.

And I agree, they ruined the raptor but they are redeeming themselves in '23 and putting the coyote engine in it.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
They don't call it an 'Exploder' for nothin'... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8884 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
My Maverick just was pushed back two weeks, Now Sept. 05 is build date. was this week. Dealer was no help.

Posts: 2490 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if your complaining about the car or the fix process. But I can almost guarantee the issue on a car eating transmissions (in a model where that is not the norm and its not in this car) that the dealership is not getting all the crap out of the tranny lines. At this point you need to make sure they junk all of it, radiator, all the lines etc. and I would insist on a replacement (even if its rebuilt) and not a repair.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure if your complaining about the car or the fix process. But I can almost guarantee the issue on a car eating transmissions (in a model where that is not the norm and its not in this car) that the dealership is not getting all the crap out of the tranny lines. At this point you need to make sure they junk all of it, radiator, all the lines etc. and I would insist on a replacement (even if its rebuilt) and not a repair.

Good advice

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
had to have the transmission in our 2009 Ford Flex replaced 2 years ago... 6 months later my local mechanic did an oil change and noted it was leaking... then last year they replaced the throttle control module and mentioned this could mess up a transmission. Now the trans is shifting rough again on occasion... took it back to Ford and they said nothing wrong with it... I think I'm going to pay to have an independent place look at it. I'm wondering if the real problem is in the computer... that has to control the all wheel drive.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post