SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My Dentist said "you will get routine X-rays or else......
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Dentist said "you will get routine X-rays or else...... Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
... we will no longer have you as a patient."
As a background I have been seeing the same dentist and hygienist for years. I go every 8 months for cleaning and the hygienist subjected me to "bite wing X-rays" every other time. From all of those X-rays never once did they discover anything that needed attended, they just stuck them in my folder. So around 6 years ago I decided in the interest of saving myself from routine radiation to not get routine X-rays any longer. I have no insurance so I guess a secondary reason is I had to pay the $60 out of pocket just for the X-rays. This is not to say no X-rays at all, if they (or I) suspect a problem that having an X-ray could help with by all means do it. In fact they took a couple when they did a crown.
Well at every 8 month cleaning the hygienist would ask if she could X-ray me and I'd always say no not unless there is something suspicious. She always seemed a little perturbed but went ahead with the cleaning. I suspect she either missed out on a little bonus or would later be reprimanded.
At my appointment yesterday she really pushed to X-ray me saying the ownership of the practice had changed and their policy now is that "all patients will be X-rayed at every other cleaning and any who refuse will no longer be our patient." I said my answer is the same lets just get on with the cleaning and I won't be scheduling any more appointments with this outfit. After the cleaning the dentist came in and after prodding around finding nothing (thankfully) tried to justify the new policy saying "we could be held liable or sued if we miss something" and "the ADA recommends this....." I just said I understand why they want them done and thanks for taking care of my teeth I'll be moving on. So now I need to find another dentist that will not insist on routine X-rays, if one exists.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
They exist. Dentist think of the x-ray machine as a guaranteed profit machine. If you aren't a fan of radiation to the head, you will not be as profitable for them. Find a small local practice and it will cease to be an issue.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The new dentist will want them to start LOL

Did the same, old dentist finally caved on the x-ray every time practice. Once a year is fine.

When he sold the new owners did the same as yours, it was time to switch anyway, found a new practice that has all new equipment nicer practice, ended up being a good change.

Still want to do a lot of x-rays, but we agreed, once a year is plenty.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
The new dentist will want them to start LOL....

Still want to do a lot of x-rays, but we agreed, once a year is plenty.

Well I'm hoping my images and history will transfer to the new practice. Also I'm not interested in having X-rays every year, only when needed.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I found a good dentist, sole practitioner who owns his own practice.

Small staff, all of them very patient-oriented.

The dentist discusses his recommendations and understands why I reject some of them.

Note to HRK -- He's on 434 in Longwood, if you are in need of a good, small, local practice.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

The dentist discusses his recommendations and understands why I reject some of them.....

That's pretty what mine used to be. My dentist is winding down and working just part time after selling his interest to his partner and his own son. He said he now has no control and they are doing things differently.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Sorry to be so vague but I read something several years ago that suggested low levels of radiation may actually be beneficial. "Low" didn't mean minuscule and not limited to dental x-rays. Beneficial how, I don't remember but unless there's evidence dental x-rays are a problem, I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker.

Like I said, vague. Roll Eyes

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dentist is a friend of mine. That helps. I think you have to have the same level of trust in a dentist as you would a jeweler.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The D.D.S. needs to be told to blow it out his A.S.S.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

The dentist discusses his recommendations and understands why I reject some of them.

Note to HRK -- He's on 434 in Longwood, if you are in need of a good, small, local practice.

Thanks for now we have a good one that the wife and I like.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
By the way, I have the coolest dentist in the world. This guy is down to earth and you can tell he likes people. There's no pretense with this guy, and his staff are the nicest people.

His receptionist is my kinda gal. She's funny as all get-out. Last time I was there, were talking about the dental techniques demonstrated in Marathon Man and Affliction (in which Nick Nolte pulls one of his own teeth with a pair of slipjoint pliers.) Eek

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Para have you ever brought up not having routine X-rays done? From the few people I've discussed this with, as well as those here who responded, it seems everyone is fine with their dentist X-raying them about once a year or every other visit.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I went through that back in the late 80's. The health newsletters said that were too many dentists and many times work was done that was not necessary.

I stopped them from taking X-rays because they had an old machine from the 60's and I had perfect teeth except for my bite was a little off. They didn't know how to fix it while the dentist in Santa Barbara said we can fix it now or later.

They wanted me to come in every six months but I said no. The next appointment for cleaning, the technician started grinding on my teeth. I stopped her and what she did was grind the enamel off some of the top teeth.

The next dentist I went to said I was drinking too many soft drinks when he saw the condition of my teeth. I told him I don't drink soft drinks. When I pointed out that it was only the top teeth, I got the deer in the headlights look.

That was the last time, 1992, that I have been to a dentist. Since then, five teeth have broken off at the gum level. There is a special in HELL for people like this. Mad

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Para have you ever brought up not having routine X-rays done? From the few people I've discussed this with, as well as those here who responded, it seems everyone is fine with their dentist X-raying them about once a year or every other visit.
He orders x-rays when he thinks it necessary, which is infrequently.

I can understand someone objecting to needless exposure to radiation, no matter how small the dosage.

posted Hide Post
X rays are NOT a huge profit machine. The money is in crowns, bridges and implants.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
I wish I had the luxury of being able to drive patients away from me.

Intentionally, I mean!! Big Grin

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
I wish I had the luxury of being able to drive patients away from me.

Intentionally, I mean!! Big Grin

Waterboard

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
He orders x-rays when he thinks it necessary, which is infrequently.

I can understand that.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
X rays are NOT a huge profit machine. The money is in crowns, bridges and implants.

I'm not so sure. Yes the last crown I had cost $800, but the dentist himself along with his assistant spent at least an hour on the initial work which included Novocain, grinding, making an impression, temp crown, etc. Then the impression was sent away to have the crown manufactured at whatever cost. Visit two was again with the dentist and his assistant took around 1/2 hour. So yeah it was $800 but he had a good amount of time in it.
For cleaning they charge $120 for 1/2 hour of hygienist time and she in that given time also is responsible for doing the bite wing X-rays whether she does them or not. So there's no additional labor cost of time to do them. The practice needs the X-ray machines so they have that fixed cost of the machine and any maintenance whether it's in use or not. This little practice has 3 hygienists working 8 hour shifts so they're cleaning say 40 patients each day. If they require that every patient get a $60 X-ray, every other visit, that would be $1,200 additional each day. Of that $1,200 what's the film cost to do those 20 patients..... $200? So $1,000 extra made each day just from the hygienists at the end of the year is $250,000 in profit.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
... we will no longer have you as a patient."
As a background I have been seeing the same dentist and hygienist for years. I go every 8 months for cleaning and the hygienist subjected me to "bite wing X-rays" every other time. From all of those X-rays never once did they discover anything that needed attended, they just stuck them in my folder. So around 6 years ago I decided in the interest of saving myself from routine radiation to not get routine X-rays any longer. I have no insurance so I guess a secondary reason is I had to pay the $60 out of pocket just for the X-rays. This is not to say no X-rays at all, if they (or I) suspect a problem that having an X-ray could help with by all means do it. In fact they took a couple when they did a crown.
Well at every 8 month cleaning the hygienist would ask if she could X-ray me and I'd always say no not unless there is something suspicious. She always seemed a little perturbed but went ahead with the cleaning. I suspect she either missed out on a little bonus or would later be reprimanded.
At my appointment yesterday she really pushed to X-ray me saying the ownership of the practice had changed and their policy now is that "all patients will be X-rayed at every other cleaning and any who refuse will no longer be our patient." I said my answer is the same lets just get on with the cleaning and I won't be scheduling any more appointments with this outfit. After the cleaning the dentist came in and after prodding around finding nothing (thankfully) tried to justify the new policy saying "we could be held liable or sued if we miss something" and "the ADA recommends this....." I just said I understand why they want them done and thanks for taking care of my teeth I'll be moving on. So now I need to find another dentist that will not insist on routine X-rays, if one exists.

I doubt she gets a bonus for selling x-rays. In fact, that may well be illegal since that is a matter of medical judgment and may be legally mandated to be up to the dentist.

It is his practice, and he is and should be free to make these choices, just as you are free to go elsewhere.

I have no idea whether you will find a dentist who is any different. Apparently they exist, so maybe you can. Good luck.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. We are having a very similar experience.

We've been going to the same dentist for years - more like decades. When the original dentist retired, he sold the practice to a young dentist who we liked, so we continued with him.

A couple of years ago, the hygenist leaves and a new one replaces her. The new hygenist seems to find an issue with each visit. We don't have dental insurance either, so these "issues" tend to be unexpected and costly.

On my last appointment, for a routine cleaning (appx $125), this hygenist said I needed extra cleaning work. I foolishly said "OK" without asking more. When I checked out, I was presented with a bill for $730. Eek

We like the dentist, but he has to know and be OK with what's on. I got home and told the wife that it's time to find another dentist.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post