SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Take a vacation day? Sure!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take a vacation day? Sure! Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Go right ahead, pal.

And count on that being the day that you get at least two messages from people who aren't actually on-site, wanting you to do things for them right danged now. Oh, and there will be contractors showing up, and you'll learn that the crew you helped yesterday has to work tomorrow (Saturday).

I recognize my role in the organization carries a particular level of responsibility. It's part of the nature of my job to receive the odd/instant/demanding requests and get them handled. But I thought I had set things up pretty well yesterday to run without me (I've got a very good team). Best-laid plans and all that.... Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Especially if you're managing, you're never really off the clock. It was stressful taking a vacation. I had to work more before the vacation to get ahead, I was still on call during vacation and sometimes had to call in to meetings, and getting back, I had to work more to catch up.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I used to have a job where I had to compete with everyone else for days off. If someone already had a day, I couldn't have it too. Now I have a job where I can take off whenever I want, but everything I would have been doing is just going to be sitting there waiting on me to come back.

I'm not sure which one was better.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Before cellphones and even pagers, I remember going to town 10 miles away most weekdays while we were on vacation so dad could use a pay phone to call in to work. The reason given was mom needed something from the grocery store or we needed something from the hardware store, we got ice cream, so I didn’t care. It took me a couple years to put together what the real reason was.

Posts: 10936 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’m about to go on a week long vacation. I know the place will likely be a wreck when I get back but I need the down time.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
week long vacation

I'm going to get one of those soon. I'm looking forward to it (though I haven't yet scheduled it), because I know my team will do all they can to keep things moving.

- - -

Aha! I just realized what's got me bugged.
It's not my team who's calling/emailing me -- it's other departments! Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
We just returned from a week in Hocking Hills, OH. The cabin had zero cell service and no Wifi, It was heaven

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
3-man IT dept here, serving ~400 employees.
We try to not have 2 of us off at the same time & try to do a decent job keeping cross-trained so one person isn't buried when they come back.

Usually, unless we're fully off-grid or out of the country, we're willing to be minimally available by phone if something comes up, within reason.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15307 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
The cabin had zero cell service and no Wifi, It was heaven

We rented a condo like that once. It was definitely delightful.

When I got back to the office, I was told never to go to a place where they could not get a hold of me. I just laughed and told them I’d already booked it for the next year. Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
We just returned from a week in Hocking Hills, OH. The cabin had zero cell service and no Wifi, It was heaven

The problem is, those dang cell companies keep putting up more antennas, so it's getting harder and harder to really get off-grid!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I usually take vacation to go to my second job.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:

The problem is, those dang cell companies keep putting up more antennas, so it's getting harder and harder to really get off-grid!

I have a picture of a cell tower from one of our deer blinds. We had 120 acres in a 60,000 acre area in Northern Michigan that was once the largest privately owned piece of land in Michigan. Nobody got a deer that year, but everybody knew what was going on in the big game.

Posts: 10936 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post