SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    1800FLOWERS- disappointment
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1800FLOWERS- disappointment Login/Join 
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted
SO I order an orchid for delivery to a friend for the Chinese New Years.
It arrives 6 days late and got frozen on the travel with Fed Ex.

Orchids do about as well in freezing temps as a Popsicle does in the sun.

DOA

Their solution?
50% refund.

So I paid 50% for a dead Orchid.

Next time I will just light a cigar with a two 20 dollar bills....

GRRRRR

Fortunately every time I talked to their customer service I understand most Hindu accents to at least get that.
It was like dealing with work!

Sure your name is Mark....How's Bangalore Mark?

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I had one experience with them. I sent a bouquet to the girl I was seeing at the time. The flowers were actually really nice. They came with a nice handwritten card with the message I submitted- signed John. My name isn't John. It certainly wasn't as bad as having to pay for dead flowers, but it caused some confusion and didn't impress me with their attention to detail.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
signed John

So it was sort of a Dear John letter, but in reverse.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:

I paid 50% for a dead Orchid.
Assuming that you paid with a credit card, dispute the charge with the card issuer?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I used them once and the flowers were nice and arrived on time.

I leaned two things: I could have bought the same flowers from a local flower shop for half the price and don't feel sorry for old girl friends because there can be some animosity.

I hope you paid by credit card and can get reimbursement.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Yeah I am reaching out to my CC company now.

NEVER again.
Always go local.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Tried them twice - figured the first was a fluke - both times the only thing in the box worth anything was the vase. Refunded on both occasions (this was about 5-7 years ago).

FWIW - Sherry's Berries are better. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I too had a similar disappointment many years ago from 1-800-FLOWERS.

Much better to use a local florist as they will be more concerned about quality.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Call the local florist at the location, they get the full amount and the recipient gets better arrangement.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I used to used them. It's just that I didn't have the need anymore.

I did remember when one delivery was delivered to the wrong address. I had them resend a new one.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Apart from Farmville Flowers, I've never had good luck with any phone/online flower companies.
Local, when an option, is by far better. Even calling a local florist where you're needing them delivered.

Worked for a florist in college, drove deliveries for them. We did some online orders for a few of these companies, but not often.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15313 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I learned my lesson long ago that all these online florists are total shit and a giant ripoff.

If you want something done right, look up a florist local to the area you want the flowers delivered to and deal with them direct.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
I had one experience with them. I sent a bouquet to the girl I was seeing at the time. The flowers were actually really nice. They came with a nice handwritten card with the message I submitted- signed John. My name isn't John. It certainly wasn't as bad as having to pay for dead flowers, but it caused some confusion and didn't impress me with their attention to detail.

About 20 years ago, I used an online service to send a bouquet of flowers to a college friend who has just suffered a family loss. (I don't recall if it was 1-800-Flowers, but I think it might have been...)

Imagine my surprise when her sister calls me to ask about my intentions. My message of condolences was printed in the card as specified, but the card itself was a "Be Mine"-style Valentines Day card, and the flowers came in a container festooned with hearts, teddy bears, and professions of love.

That was nice and awkward.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google search the locals. You are better off. Sometimes cheaper, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
This company was one of the first to market with the idea that being a broker was a simple way to make money. We were amazed that one company could do what FTD could and did do. We fell victim to a mellifluous voice, a gentleman with a beard and mustache, and incessant TV ads.

Like many, I have found that I can call the local florist near my parents home in Ft Myers and get what I need when I need it for less.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
Always go local.

Love my local florist!

And when we need to send flowers to a friend in another town, we call a florist in that town. It's worked very well so far.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Call the local florist at the location, they get the full amount and the recipient gets better arrangement.

Yeah. What the monkey said. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Learned quickly how much they suck. Delivered ugly and dead flowers. Got a refund. The second time the arrangment was delivered several days late for an important occasion. The CSR offered to send another arrangement free of charge. My daughter woundered why I would send her flowers that said Happy Presidents Day.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always use a local florist

Posts: 74 | Location: Delco and LBI | Registered: April 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Learned quickly how much they suck. Delivered ugly and dead flowers. Got a refund.

This was my experience as well.

There was no second time.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I think they are hit or miss because they use local florists a lot of the time. They just sort of subcontract it out IIRC. I recall having an order for my wife and the truck that came was from the local florist.

Better to go with the local florist so they don't have to give away a cut.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post