SIGforum
Prime music

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/1950069594

November 02, 2022, 03:17 PM
konata88
Prime music
Wow.

Seems like there is a new version of the Prime music app for phones.

I'm not sure but I think they just fucked Prime members (non-Unlimited members) over twice.

I used to just select an album and play from track 1 to end. Especially important for, say, classical music.

But it seems now that, when I select an album, it will compulsorily play a random track from the album. And then follow on songs will be chosen at random. NOT the same album. Not even the same artist it seems. Just whatever Prime deems "similar" to the original selection.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's what it seems like. And you can only skip X number of tracks (5?). After that, you can no longer skip tracks.

If true, WTF? I'm one more step closer to cancelling Prime....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: konata88,

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
November 02, 2022, 03:42 PM
RogueJSK
My Prime Music works just the same as before...

You can play an entire album straight through, or you can play an album on shuffle, or you can play an artist's "station" which will play their stuff interspersed with songs by similar artists.

Perhaps you had inadvertently chosen to play that artist's station instead of a specific album?
November 02, 2022, 03:43 PM
PASig
Sounds like a settings issue, not a Prime issue

With that being said, I still think Spotify is better.

November 02, 2022, 03:48 PM
konata88
It's real. I found this: https://me.mashable.com/tech/2...-but-only-on-shuffle

... While Amazon Prime Music now has the same number of songs as Amazon Music Unlimited, Prime users won't be able to choose a specific song they want to listen to. So if you want to jam to "Dream of You" by CHUNG HA (with R3HAB) for example — and you absolutely should — you'll have to shuffle play the K-pop artist's album QUERENCIA and hope the RNG gods bless you. For worse odds, you could also shuffle play a playlist that includes the song you want, or shuffle play the artist's whole catalogue.

This Amazon-mandated shuffling also means you can't listen to an album's tracks in sequence, which is practically sacrilege to many music fans. In fact, last year Spotify disabled its default auto-shuffle feature on Adele's album 30 at the singer's request, before also getting rid of it for all artists.

I'm not sure if it helps or not - try to avoid updating your Prime music app. Perhaps you can avoid the new shuffle mandate.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
November 02, 2022, 03:50 PM
konata88
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
My Prime Music works just the same as before. You can play an entire album straight through, or you can play an album on shuffle, or you can play an artist's "station" which will play their stuff as well as similar artists.

Exactly, you can't do that anymore w/ the new app.

November 02, 2022, 03:55 PM
RogueJSK
Ah... I'm a Prime Music Unlimited user. You apparently are a standard (free) Prime Music user. That appears to be the key here. This new random play only applies to standard Prime Music users, while Unlimited functions the same as before in letting you play whatever specific song/album you want.
November 02, 2022, 04:45 PM
konata88
Good point - I clarified that in the OP.

November 02, 2022, 11:43 PM
Rey HRH
You can't select a specific song to listen to???

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
November 03, 2022, 09:04 AM
PASig
So it's basically the radio

LOL

Get Spotify...no games

November 03, 2022, 09:19 AM
sigcrazy7
Prime keeps getting more and more expensive while reducing the benefits of membership. Even though I have Prime, I use Apple Music.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
November 03, 2022, 11:22 AM
BigSwede
It wouldn't play my old lists, just had to make a new one is all, works fine

November 03, 2022, 12:33 PM
konata88
You figured out a way?

How do you do it? For example, if I wanted to a particular rendition of Vivaldi's Four Seasons in its entirety, how do I do that now? If I select Four Seasons, it plays random pieces of classical music.

November 03, 2022, 12:42 PM
BigSwede
Make a new list and then add that song to it

On my PC there are three dots that appear next to the play/pause, forward and back buttons when you hover over it

November 03, 2022, 12:45 PM
konata88
Okay, I created a playlist with all the Vivaldi Four Seasons pieces. That's pretty tedious to that for all albums I like to play.

But even still, there is a problem. Seems like the playlist can only be played in some random order. I can't play the Four Seasons in order like it's supposed to be played.

Trick for that?

Do you have Unlimited already?

November 03, 2022, 01:23 PM
BigSwede
No on the unlimited

November 03, 2022, 05:01 PM
CoolRich59
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

This Amazon-mandated shuffling also means you can't listen to an album's tracks in sequence, which is practically sacrilege to many music fans.

I don’t know about “practically sacrilege”, but it would be a show stopper for me.

While you could listen to the movements of Beethoven’s 9th in any order you want, I kind of think Ludwig composed the symphony with the intent that the fourth movement would be played at the end. Wink

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant
November 03, 2022, 05:18 PM
SIGnified
Spotify premium here.

Left prime two years ago this Christmas; never going back.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein
November 03, 2022, 06:04 PM
cas
Got and deleted a Prime related email today.

Giving me more shit I don’t want, as what I do want slowly fades away.
November 04, 2022, 01:04 PM
BigSwede
I take it all back. This new setup sucks donkey balls

I have a crap load of copied music from CD's on my PC, will probably listen to that

November 04, 2022, 02:22 PM
PASig
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

Spotify premium here.