SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Crib bumpers, I had no idea. Your government at work.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Crib bumpers, I had no idea. Your government at work. Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
For the last couple years I've been dealing with lower back / sacroiliac issues. I've found sleeping with support under my hip helps. A full pillow is too much, other things I have are too thin. So looking for "juuust right" I search Amazon.

I find these long foam speed bump looking things that look promising, crib bumpers. But it shows they won't send them to me? Why not I wonder? I look into it and Prince Andrew (Cuomo) signed a bill making them illegal some time back. Hmm. Looking into it a tad further, it seems Potatus did the same thing last year. The Safe Crib Act. Wow, I had no idea.

What I did find and WAS able to order so I can try, is a bed bumper.

Which seems to be the exact same thing, only you put it on a bed, instead of in a crib. (Sigh) Roll Eyes
 
Posts: 19717 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
They've banned crib bumpers. I wonder how they'd feel about my parents putting me to sleep in a dresser drawer...


===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.
 
Posts: 1877 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
^^^Ha!! I was thinking the exact same.


__________________________

"Trust, but verify."
 
Posts: 4719 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
They've banned crib bumpers. I wonder how they'd feel about my parents putting me to sleep in a dresser drawer...


Needs more information, did the drawer have bumpers?




"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."
 
Posts: 3227 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Our dresser drawers had the bumper pads mounted to the back side of the dresser drawers so that the drawers could not be totally closed. ...................................... drill sgt.
 
Posts: 1273 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
My experience with raising young babies is probably more recent than most of you.

People are generally dumb. Some things, like these crib bumpers, do actually need a little help from the government to take them off the market because people are too dumb to realize how dangerous they are.

The issue is SIDS. Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Up until recently, Doctors and scientists had no idea what caused infants to suddenly die--they tied a bunch of factors to it statistically that raised the risk of SIDS: things like bedroom temperature, sleeping position, mattress firmness, soft toys and blankets, crib bumpers, etc all raised the risk that your infant would go to sleep one night and not wake up. Pretty tragic.

Recently (as in a handful of weeks ago), researchers have narrowed down the cause. Some infants have an undeveloped suffocation reflex. The little signal that tells the infant's brain that they've got too much CO2 in their lungs and then creates a burning desire to struggle, turn, and take a gasp of air to flush to CO2 out--some babies simply don't develop that reflex early enough to wake themselves up out of sleep.

If a baby with this specific trait rolls up against a crib bumper, or is placed to sleep face down on a soft mattress, or a blanket/teddybear falls on her face, the baby simply won't wake up. She will suffocate without ever having a chance to fight back.

But people are dumb. Most people have no idea what SIDS is, and up until recently, even doctors and researchers couldn't even definitively pin down the cause. I run with a pretty smart crowd. Lawyers, doctors, engineers, gainfully employed tradesmen. Even among my cohort, some make pretty stupid safety decisions. So something like crib bumpers, which doesn't present itself as an overt risk, really does need a little help from the .gov to remove from the market.
 
Posts: 12731 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
My guess is SOME of those deaths were accidental. But then, I tend to think the worst of people.
 
Posts: 16617 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
My experience with raising young babies is probably more recent than most of you.

People are generally dumb. Some things, like these crib bumpers, do actually need a little help from the government to take them off the market because people are too dumb to realize how dangerous they are.

The issue is SIDS. Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Up until recently, Doctors and scientists had no idea what caused infants to suddenly die--they tied a bunch of factors to it statistically that raised the risk of SIDS: things like bedroom temperature, sleeping position, mattress firmness, soft toys and blankets, crib bumpers, etc all raised the risk that your infant would go to sleep one night and not wake up. Pretty tragic.

Recently (as in a handful of weeks ago), researchers have narrowed down the cause. Some infants have an undeveloped suffocation reflex. The little signal that tells the infant's brain that they've got too much CO2 in their lungs and then creates a burning desire to struggle, turn, and take a gasp of air to flush to CO2 out--some babies simply don't develop that reflex early enough to wake themselves up out of sleep.

If a baby with this specific trait rolls up against a crib bumper, or is placed to sleep face down on a soft mattress, or a blanket/teddybear falls on her face, the baby simply won't wake up. She will suffocate without ever having a chance to fight back.

But people are dumb. Most people have no idea what SIDS is, and up until recently, even doctors and researchers couldn't even definitively pin down the cause. I run with a pretty smart crowd. Lawyers, doctors, engineers, gainfully employed tradesmen. Even among my cohort, some make pretty stupid safety decisions. So something like crib bumpers, which doesn't present itself as an overt risk, really does need a little help from the .gov to remove from the market.


Exactly. We too have young kids and went through all this. We did find a safe thin mesh-type crib bumper we put in our crib for all 3 kids and it worked well. Those old style ones are bad news.


 
Posts: 30443 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Point being, you can sell them and you can buy them, you just can't call them crib bumpers.
 
Posts: 19717 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
But people are dumb. Most people have no idea



Even after reading the thread I don't know what a crib bumper is or why they are dangerous.



Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
 
Posts: 19586 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
For the last couple years I've been dealing with lower back / sacroiliac issues. I've found sleeping with support under my hip helps. A full pillow is too much, other things I have are too thin. So looking for "juuust right" I search Amazon.

I find these long foam speed bump looking things that look promising, crib bumpers. But it shows they won't send them to me? Why not I wonder? I look into it and Prince Andrew (Cuomo) signed a bill making them illegal some time back. Hmm. Looking into it a tad further, it seems Potatus did the same thing last year. The Safe Crib Act. Wow, I had no idea.

What I did find and WAS able to order so I can try, is a bed bumper.

Which seems to be the exact same thing, only you put it on a bed, instead of in a crib. (Sigh) Roll Eyes


So what is it you think the government should have done instead?
 
Posts: 94 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
But people are dumb. Most people have no idea



Even after reading the thread I don't know what a crib bumper is or why they are dangerous.


Same here. Stepkids were grown when we married. Time to go down the rabbit hole of researching useless information. Smile



quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread
 
Posts: 3391 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
But people are dumb. Most people have no idea



Even after reading the thread I don't know what a crib bumper is or why they are dangerous.


Most cribs have slats now. In the past, many cribs had solid walls. In any case, parents would buy these soft padded panels to attach to the inside of the crib so that their kid would a) have something nice to look at; and b) have something soft to roll up against; and c) to keep their little arms and feet from getting hung up in the slats (before they are coordinated enough to self extricate).

The problem is that the soft material in the crib can lead to some infants to suddenly die (called Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, or SIDS). Some small number of infants do not develop a suffocation reflex until later. So they roll up against the soft material, it covers their face, and they never reflexively pull their face away to breathe. And they die.

Because most people had no idea this is a thing, the government banned these soft padded crib bumpers to save the "chillun".

I hate government as much as the next person, but this regulation checks the boxes in that it fits the criteria of "people too stupid to self police" and "hurts people other than themselves".
 
Posts: 12731 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Crib bumpers, I had no idea. Your government at work.

© SIGforum 2022