SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    News media coverage of tornadoes sucks.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

News media coverage of tornadoes sucks. Login/Join 
posted
So... I still have family and friends in the Dayton OH area and they were hit with a tornado overnight. So I go on the WHIO TV website to get more info. What do I find? Every video or segment on the storm has a commercial embedded in it at either the beginning or middle of the story that you have to suffer through to see the story. One segment has a slideshow of photos of damaged areas and in between each photo was an ad. And no captions on the photos! The amount of click bait on the page is an embarrassment.
The area affected by the storm was pretty extensive and impacted a lot of people. So, WHIO, how about suspending the money grubbing for say, 12 hours or so and just let us learn about the situation? Wouldn't that be responsible "journalism" and an actual service to your viewing public? The credo of the news media was once "if it bleeds, it leads". That has evidently now become "if it bleeds and generates advertising revenue, it leads".
What an outstanding example of why our news media no longer has any credibility or veracity.
Mad

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Agree, Yoop. I went to UD as did many in my family back to the early 1900's. Still have friends there and went looking for a map showing areas hit. No such luck. Dayton Daily News and WHIO sites were not of much value IMO.

BTW, your reference in the other thread to "Downtown shopping at Rikes" brought back some memories.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Elder-Beermans, too! All my Catholic buddies went to Carroll HS and then onto UD. I think the Pope ordered it! Wink
I think Willie Shakespeare was referring to our media when he wrote:
It is a tale, told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury. Signifying nothing.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post