SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ouch! (Tire Prices)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ouch! (Tire Prices) Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I would have guessed more like $850. Tires are expensive and not much fun, even if the car drives better.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I thought you were talking about the Toyota FJ Cruiser…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tires aren’t getting any cheaper that’s for sure.
Just picked up a set of BFG ko2 AT 275/70/18 for my tundra

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Tires are expensive and not much fun, even if the car drives better.
Paul (original poster in this thread) is talking about motorcycle tires.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Tire prices like everything else have sky rocketed.
I bought Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws in 275/70/18s on March 30, 2019 for $165 a tire from Amazon.
Today those exact same tires are $255 a tire.

In June of last year I bought Michelin AT2s in 275/60/20s for $202 a tire from Discount Tire and now they are $232.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Tire prices like everything else have sky rocketed.
I bought Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws in 275/70/18s on March 30, 2019 for $165 a tire from Amazon.
Today those exact same tires are $255 a tire.

In June of last year I bought Michelin AT2s in 275/60/20s for $202 a tire from Discount Tire and now they are $232.

Yup. Motorcycle or 4 wheels, tire prices universally suck.

I just put 5 Falken Wildpeak AT3s on my Jeep at $1,600 out the door.

Luckily I drive like a grandpa and fully expect to get 60k miles out of them. But damn.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Tires are expensive and not much fun, even if the car drives better.
Paul (original poster in this thread) is talking about motorcycle tires.

Ah, well. The same, though. Although, motorcycle guys are more often gear heads, which may make new rubber more fun.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The track on race weekends used to be the cheapest place to get tires for my street bike. The Bridgestone and Dunlop guys would have stacks of tires. Around $300.

On a side note, if you hit the front brake hard enough, the back wheel come off the ground. If you whack the throttle, the front wheel comes off the ground. What if you hit the front brake hard and whack the throttle simultaneously?

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
At $3/gal and 40 mpg the tires are less expensive than the gas for those 10K miles.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
The track on race weekends used to be the cheapest place to get tires for my street bike. The Bridgestone and Dunlop guys would have stacks of tires. Around $300.

On a side note, if you hit the front brake hard enough, the back wheel come off the ground. If you whack the throttle, the front wheel comes off the ground. What if you hit the front brake hard and whack the throttle simultaneously?

Generally both wheels come off the ground!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last week we were traveling for vacation. 4 hrs from home the tire light comes on. I find a hunk of metal in the tire. We find a little backwoods tire shop and had a temporary tire put on for $150.

The car only has 3600 miles so I call my local tire shop and they order me an OEM tire. $290 for one tire!!! Since I had to match the factory tires I really didn’t have any other options.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
What if you hit the front brake hard and whack the throttle simultaneously?

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trapper189:
My bike has ABS and DTC. It digitally tells me I cant do those things!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
I thought you were talking about a Toyota.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Z-rating for an FJ?? Eek
The tires may handle it - but can the FJ?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Z-rating for an FJ?? Eek

My dad had ZR rated Road 4s on his Vulcan S. Fantastic tire, even if you can't get to the speed rating. Saw 126mph in Mexico once...

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
At $3/gal and 40 mpg the tires are less expensive than the gas for those 10K miles.

In Paul's case they are. Almost never for me though. I typically get 6-7,500 miles (say average 6,800) on a set of tires on my bikes which average 45 -48 mpg. Dirt and sport bikes may be lucky to get half that mileage on tires.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Z-rating for an FJ?? Eek

With the ECU flash, I'm told the bike is capable of 140mph +/-.

I've personally had it to 125.

So maybe a little overkill, but...yeah.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:

In Paul's case they are. Almost never for me though. I typically get 6-7,500 miles (say average 6,800) on a set of tires on my bikes which average 45 -48 mpg. Dirt and sport bikes may be lucky to get half that mileage on tires.

I was getting about 4.5k from a rear tire, and twice that for a front.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

I pay about $200-225 a set. But I make sure to always buy them when on sale and during a tire mfr. rebate. Usually $200 to the door. Then it’s about $92 to have them swapped on a Coats machine at the shop (rape pricing). I pull the wheels off myself and bring them into the shop in my truck. That saves more $.

But buying during sales is key as is the mfr. prepaid Visa card rebates. I have a tire rack in the garage and keep at least 3 new sets on the rack (1 set for each motorcycle I have) so they are always there if I need them. It’s like buying ammo. Stock up when they are cheap as to avoid when they are expensive. I keep them off the ground on the rack, and they are wrapped up completely so no air exposure. I have never had an issue with cracks, deformation, wear, etc being wrapped up in plastic that they were shipped to me in, using them a year or two later. People are always on about “don’t buy old tires”. I agree if not wrapped. If wrapped up so no exposure to air and not laying on the ground not an issue.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post