SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Passport Issues!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passport Issues! Login/Join 
posted
My wife applied for her first ever passport at the USPS passport office...she brought all the paperwork, paid them to take pics (even though I had already done so) and thought all was well.

Today she got an email stating there was an issue with her name not matching which i am guessing is because her birth certificate and application have different last names but here is where the fun starts!

She still uses her ex husbands last name to no other reason than her son (my stepson) and I am 100% OK with that however I am worried this will bite her in the ass.

For ID/Validation to show that is the name she legally goes by we have her original social security card issued in 2008, our marriage lic showing I married someone with that name and of course her drivers lic.

My two questions/concerns are;
1) If this was an issue then why didn't the buffoon with zero personality at the post office alert her?

2) Will the forms of ID she has suffice?

She is going to mexico in July and I dont want her trip getting screwed up over red tape

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Said buffoon isn't there to check your paperwork, only to make sure you've got it. Passports are still processed by the U.S. Department of State.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Said buffoon isn't there to check your paperwork, only to make sure you've got it. Passports are still processed by the U.S. Department of State.

Noted and apologies to the buffoon

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Who sent you the e-mail? The USPS passport office or the US Department of State? It's not clear.

"Will the forms of ID she has suffice?"

Call or visit your USPS passport office and ask.

Names not matching? I would have figured that out prior to submitting the application - big red flag. An Internet search could help.

https://travel.state.gov/conte...t-us/passports.html/

Phone: 1-877-487-2778
Customer service representatives are available:
Monday- Friday 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Except on Federal Holidays

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Kev,

Search for a passport agency near you. An in-person may be warranted. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Was there a phone number with the email she got? I would call and talk to someone that can answer the question 100% correct.

This is my take on it but I would call. Does she have the marriage license from her marriage when her name changed? That is what I believe they will want or a certified copy. That is when her name officially changed.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What name did she sign the marriage license with when she married you? When she got divorced, did her divorce judgment specify that she would revert to her maiden name or keep her married name? What name is on her driver's license?

Basically, your name can be different from your birth certificate but you have to prove it was legally changed. Marriage license or court order is the way to do that. Ensuring your social security card is in your real name also helps with passport issues.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
What name did she sign the marriage license with when she married you? When she got divorced, did her divorce judgment specify that she would revert to her maiden name or keep her married name? What name is on her driver's license?

Basically, your name can be different from your birth certificate but you have to prove it was legally changed. Marriage license or court order is the way to do that. Ensuring your social security card is in your real name also helps with passport issues.

Thanks for the input...I have an appt tomorrow at passport office to ask questions but after waiting on permanent hold this afternoon it appears the issue is that birth cert and passport app names do not match but I have her divorce decree that states she is allowed to keep that last name please I have out marriage cert that clearly shows that is who I married and it is signed as that person so I am hoping this is a non issue.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:

Thanks for the input...I have an appt tomorrow at passport office to ask questions but after waiting on permanent hold this afternoon it appears the issue is that birth cert and passport app names do not match but I have her divorce decree that states she is allowed to keep that last name please I have out marriage cert that clearly shows that is who I married and it is signed as that person so I am hoping this is a non issue.

Should be a non issue if you have all of that. Her name was legally changed when she married the first time, and it never changed back on divorce. If she never changed her name on her social security card, it would be good to do that as well to match her legal name.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Out of curiosity is your wife or you going to the passport office to get the issue resolved?

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
quote:
quote:

Out of curiosity is your wife or you going to the passport office to get the issue resolved?

lol, I am dragging her kicking and screaming because I know if I dont they will need her for something