SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Honey thieves
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honey thieves Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
It seems that I got hit recently (don't know when exactly).

I have two hives with one doing much better than the other this year. The good hive had one full honey super on it when I added another about two weeks ago. Yesterday, I was out adding another super to the slower hive when I thought, as long as I'm out here let's see how the other one is doing. So, I took off the top and looked down inside and they'd made no new comb on the upper super. That's odd, I thought, so I pulled off the top super and the bottom one was completely empty of comb as well, when it was packed full two weeks ago. I was puzzled as I'd never seen that before.

I got to talking with a buddy and fellow beekeeper and he told me that thieves have been targeting hives and just taking the full frames inside and replacing them with empty ones. These bastards go around at night and target smaller operations and have been going around the whole area lately. Motherfuckers! Mad

I do have a trailcam set up over the hives, but didn't think to look until after I'd talked to my buddy. I put it up there as I've had bears trying to mess with the hives in the past. When I got home and opened it up, both the batteries and the storage card were gone. Mad These are some smart, and ballsy thieves.

So, I've ordered another trailcam, with cellular, and I'll mount it up much higher. Hopefully, if those bastards come back, I can catch them in the act and ruin their fucking day. That new thermal scope may come in handy...along with my backhoe.

Posts: 20520 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tar and feather sound good.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Really sorry to hear that. My wife really wants bees.

Can guarantee it wasn't me. We'd love to have 10 acres someday & I told her the bees can be 10 acres away from the house. I want nothing to do with them.
She picks them up barehanded when they get stuck in the pool & transitions them to nearby flowers.

Wasps, yellow jackets & the like, on the other hand, get taken out with extreme prejudice.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Really sorry to hear that. My wife really wants bees.

Can guarantee it wasn't me. We'd love to have 10 acres someday & I told her the bees can be 10 acres away from the house. I want nothing to do with them.

Honey bees are pretty harmless and docile, unless you mess with their house, then all bets are off. Big Grin

I'm with you on the wasps/yellowjackets. Got no use for them.

Posts: 20520 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never heard of honey thieves . I guess people will steal anything ..

Posts: 4234 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I hate to hear about your losses. Be sure to report it to police/sheriff so that if they ever get caught the penalties might be increased.

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
Tar and feather sound good.

Honey and Rope, let the bears have at 'em...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44405 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Electric fence time?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8350 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Leave the old trail cam where it was, as they know it’s there. Put the new one somewhere more hidden but with a good view of the hive and/or the old trail cam.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Did they just take the honey, or did they take your bees too?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Hope they eat nine OO buck pellets soon

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23624 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Did they just take the honey, or did they take your bees too?
Nope, hive and bees are still there, they just swapped out full honey frames with empty ones. Pretty sneaky as most people don't check them regularly.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Dig a ready-to-use grave next to the hives and put up a sign which reads, "Do you really want to take a chance I'm not watching right now?"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14138 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Bee on the lookout for little black rain clouds:

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Dig a ready-to-use grave next to the hives and put up a sign which reads, "Do you really want to take a chance I'm not watching right now?"

That really made me laugh. Best post of the day.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. My neighbor raises bees and I know there's a lot of work involved.

quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
That new thermal scope may come in handy...along with my backhoe.

Posts: 6557 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Honey bees are pretty harmless and docile, unless you mess with their house, then all bets are off.

I recall that after moving to AZ [shortly after, about 2005] the state's Agricultural Extension service and a couple of universities stating that 100% of the feral honey bees in AZ were the Africanized variety. But the same thing Gustofer says still goes, do not mess with them unless they are near their nest. I know this (the docile part anyway) because I work around our flowering trees and bushes all the time. The nectar-gathering bees pay me no mind.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10870 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I can’t believe this. I’m outraged for you. Someone had to take the time to case your hives, then sneak in and steal from just 1? WTH. Is honey that expensive?
They must have plans to return if they took the batteries, too, huh? So freaking weird. And lazy.
Just hating people more every day.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5490 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, I've ordered another trailcam, with cellular, and I'll mount it up much higher.
Maybe two?

Posts: 9232 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
So, I've ordered another trailcam, with cellular, and I'll mount it up much higher.
Maybe two?

Or just reinstall the original in the same location like it hasn't been touched, then have the second covering it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3567 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post