SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Darn Deer
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Darn Deer Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Got home from our usual morning walk and Mrs. PHPaul spotted a deer sniffing around in our garden.

Last year was a disaster weather-wise, year before that, the damn deer ate EVERYTHING right to the ground, including the potatoes.

This year I planted a row of potatoes in a new spot (we like new potatoes, otherwise not worth the effort) and put fence up around them to deter the deer.

So anyway it was checking them out and I yelled at it (and insulted it's mother too!) and it sort of ambled off in the general direction of the line fence, where it stopped and looked back over it's shoulder at me.

I figured I'd put The Fear of Humans in it, hauled out the little .22 Mag LCR I carry all the time and cranked one off.

And the sonofabitch just stood there looking at me like "Ooooooooooo, I'm SO scared..."

Why won't they do that during hunting season?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15174 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Run out of the house, toward the deer, across the yard, flailing your hands over your head, screaming like a mad man. That'll keep the deer from coming back......as long as your wife posts the video here.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
I'll usually ignore deer around the house until they start tearing up the landscaping. At that point I'll wing them in the butt with a BB. that gets them moving pretty quick.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Yep. Woke up to find a big bed of begonias munched on heavily. Deer have been snacking on lots of my landscaping but haven't eaten my meager garden yet. Just a matter of time .

I'd love to get at least a couple of messes of okra first though.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The deer in the Yoop are mainly hood ornaments. An accessory your motorcycle doesn't need.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All you do for those chickens and they won't keep the deer out if the garden ?

Ungratefull cluckers!

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54476 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
All you do for those chickens and they won't keep the deer out if the garden ?

Ungratefull cluckers!

Well, they are kinda chicken shit about the whole idea. Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The deer in the Yoop are mainly hood ornaments. An accessory your motorcycle doesn't need.

When my brother(Idaho state trooper) was working his territory he had to clean up a vehicle accident. 2 women in the car, both dead due to the freaking MOOSE that had come in thru the windshield.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Ungratefull cluckers!
The ones that have had baby chicks -- are they mother cluckers?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30519 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because they get the annual Deer Anti-Hunting calendar.

They know things...

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Absolutely love new red potatoes. A few years ago dad had grew some fingerling potatoes that were really good too.

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
...This year I planted a row of potatoes in a new spot (we like new potatoes, otherwise not worth the effort)...

I think you want NEED a potato digger Big Grin

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

I figured I'd put The Fear of Humans in it, hauled out the little .22 Mag LCR I carry all the time and cranked one off.

And the sonofabitch just stood there looking at me like "Ooooooooooo, I'm SO scared..."

I think deer have an internal clock that alerts them to the start and end of hunting season.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4886 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phydough:
Run out of the house, toward the deer, across the yard, flailing your hands over your head, screaming like a mad man. That'll keep the deer from coming back......as long as your wife posts the video here.

That worked for us exactly once. I added a tactical flashlight set to strobe to improve the effect. My wife was laughing her ass off Smile

We actually didn't see another damn deer for about a week after that.

The next time I tried that they ran away and then were right back the next evening.

We've tried everything in the book. Nothing works for long.

What I don't get is they have an entire field and a bunch of woods rich in all kinds of wild vegetation out there, but they have to come and destroy my wife's gardens.

I don't hunt, but I'm now so pissed at the verkakte deer I'd shoot 'em if the township would allow me. Seriously.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:

I think you want NEED a potato digger Big Grin

Might be just a leetle overkill for one 25 foot row of potatoes...

Posts: 15174 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Told a neighbor "I'm gettin' a backhoe." He looks at me. "I'm fed up with the verkakte deer. I figure it'll work like this":

Deer shows up in the yard in the wee hours of the morning. *BANG* Maybe wakes a neighbor. "What was that?!?!" "What was what? I didn't hear anything. Go back to sleep, dear." Next day I fire up the backhoe. One down. A few days later: Wash, rinse, repeat.

Then, one day, somebody remarks "I wonder where all the deer went?"

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
my friend's brother designed and sells these modular greenhouse things that apparently sell pretty well, and my friend was telling me that keeping deer/pests away from the plants is one of the top selling points for some buyers. I'm starting to see why.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I was gone for a few days and the deer cleaned me out. Hostas,begonias, lantana, and lastly all nineof my tomato plants. No home grown tomatoes this year for 9x18. Mad

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
A few of these roving combines took a row a sunflowers from 2 feet to no feet overnight. Rotten Buggers.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4210 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
A few of these roving combines took a row a sunflowers from 2 feet to no feet overnight. Rotten Buggers.

I planted a bunch of sunflowers, but being smarter than the average bear, I put netting around them to keep the deer out.

Several days later, no sprouts. Hmmmm. I'll replant.

Several more days, still no sprouts. WTF?

Happened to be in the right place at the right time and spied a little red ground squirrel going under the netting like it wasn't even there, dig up a sunflower seed and chow down, dig up another one...

No point in shooting the little bastige even if I could manage to be armed and catch him, he has about eleven-teen bajillion cousins.

Too late this year, but NEXT year, I'll start them in the house and transplant them into a fenced enclosure.

Pain in the ass but they look nice and the chickens love the seed heads once they've gone by.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I've had exactly one tomato this year thanks to the squirrels. I don't even understand the physics of how they can carry them. Just last night a tomato fell from the sky as they were chowing down on one of mine from a tree above.

Assholes.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20738 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post