SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Laundromat's outrageous pricing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laundromat's outrageous pricing Login/Join 
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Been washing sleeping bags from scouting and our camping (sons now in their 20's) over a number of years.

I just washed three or four sleeping bags a month ago and it was about six bucks each here in Mccandless PA area.
I have observed that the prices depend on where you go- in the pinkie finger out neighborhoods the prices were much higher.
Generally it's like Julio's Bar from Repairman Jack- the places with the dead plants in the window were generally cheaper.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I use the bath tub for items too big for the washer. Cool
The hard part is wringing the water out before air drying.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$25,000.00 installed for one of the wash machines..

Is what a gal told me.

And that laundromat had ten of them.
They looked wonderful.

Like something you would put in your $200,000.00 custom garage as a show piece.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I also just checked into having it dry cleaned instead, thinking that might be an alternative option. The local dry cleaner wants $40 to clean a comforter.
Yup…I was gonna respond that a dry cleaning establishment was gonna be even more expensive than the laundromat…even if you request machine wash in lieu of dry cleaning. BTDT…

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
While those prices ARE pretty pricey, I've never seen a laundromat in a location where I'm more concerned about getting robbed at the machine than in the parking lot.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
While those prices ARE pretty pricey, I've never seen a laundromat in a location where I'm more concerned about getting robbed at the machine than in the parking lot.

^^^^^^^^^
You frequent the laundromats in Jackson? I don't even like driving through there at a high rate of speed. You got potable water up there now?

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
You frequent the laundromats in Jackson? I don't even like driving through there at a high rate of speed. You got potable water up there now?

Hell no, last laundromat I was in was Dadeville, AL. Same issues. The ones here would be the same.

I'm lucky enough to live in the areas around Jackson that are supposedly responsible, indirectly, for the failure of Jackson government and utilities over the past 20-30 years due to people moving out of that shithole. I do get to visit daily for work. That's enough.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's funny.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
Why not just buy a comforter cover/duvet and wash that instead when you get it dirty?

I do have a duvet cover for it, but my large (130+ pound) dog sleeps on the bed basically all day and all night, so even with a cover the comforter inside starts to smell like dog.

Maybe I need a sacrificial blanket to put on it during the day, to at least reduce the dog funk by 50%. A cover for the cover for the comforter. Big Grin

quote:
And how are you getting a comforter that dirty that often? It seems an unusual frequency (8 times) to me.

That'd be 8 times over a long period (years). The point was the cost of cleaning comparative to the cost of buying it in the first place.

This was the first time I've washed the comforter.

As someone owned by a 65lb pit bull who loves to be in bed with me, and my wife's two cats, who also love to be in the bed with us, we do this.

We put an extra top sheet over the bed to catch most of the fur/fluff.

We don't let them sleep with us all night, but since I now work nights, the wife lets them go to bed with her and I kick them out, and when she leaves for work, she lets them in the sleep with me until I get up in the afternoon.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
And of course, the dog got violently sick at 4:00 am, and puked on the recently cleaned comforter. Roll Eyes

I'm about ready to ditch the big fluffy comforter and just go back to my older, thinner one that's washable at home.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
Good choice.

posted Hide Post
Seven bucks, they have to be kidding.

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marlin Fan:
Seven bucks, they have to be kidding.

Worse... That's seven-teen.

It was seventeen bucks to wash and dry one comforter.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I went to a Laundromat 2 times in my life. IIRC It just took a few quarters but I hated it. The waisted time... the choking cigarette smoke that filled the place, the sketchy trailer park trash utilizing the place, I waited outside.

Before the third trip was needed I had plumbed for, bought and installed my own set in one end of my Kitchen. That was in 1973, I was 18 and I haven't been in one since.

Buying a cover you can wash yourself sounds like a good plan.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to Tic Tok and search laundromat money

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Go to Tic Tok

Lemme stop you right there... That's not gonna happen. Wink

posted Hide Post
I am suprised they have Tik Tok in bendable's area